Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Temperature now -0.2c here with a dew point of -1.9c. I want them to drop as far as possible before the inevitable rise when the precipitation arrives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

We have temp 1.6 and a dp of 1 so I think rain will be forthcoming here.

Further North seems promising though.

EDIT: 1.8 now - temp rising incredibly quickly!

Edited by Serendipity

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

I can see Leicester going through that gap in the pptn :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Front edge of the precip has just reached here and it's started off as light snow (at least at this height), which is gradually getting heavier. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Prior to this, today had seen the first thawing of note since the snow on Saturday night.

Edited by Snowmoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNNY

Hi all,

Temp here in north oxfordshire is 2.0deg And rising from -7.2 this morning

Just to let you all know its RAINING here!

Have you seen this rainfall radar from the Met?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Posted

Any ppn there is very light so not surprised by that. Heavier ppn would bring more sleet/snow down perhaps.

Yeah in marginal situations any extra height helps as does the heaviness of the precip and so as I said in another thread its going to be very much a case of what someone gets in one location will be different to what someone else gets.

All I will say looking at the radar, the main bullseye may be a little further west then the models are expecting but the heavier stuff should spread more NE as the front continues to devleop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its interesting reading the Wales thread. Some have had it bad even at lower levels. Apparently buses and taxis have stopped for a few hours due to snow according to a comment in their thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yeah in marginal situations any extra height helps as does the heaviness of the precip and so as I said in another thread its going to be very much a case of what someone gets in one location will be different to what someone else gets.

All I will say looking at the radar, the main bullseye may be a little further west then the models are expecting but the heavier stuff should spread more NE as the front continues to devleop.

blimey...knife edge stuff...I'm near stafford at about 90m (300 ft)above sea level....had a few flakes mixed in with freezing rain on saturday night, hoping for more luck tonight! :p

Posted

Any precip that was reported as rain in cov must have been very short lived and very light looking at the radar, so not to concerning just yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just starting to rain here.

Expect it to turn sleety then perhaps to snow soon. It seems most people are starting with rain.

It is probably raining because ppn is too light currently.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Here comes the inevitable rise in temperature. 0.1c and -1.4c DP, a rise of 0.2c and 0.3c respectively in 15 mins.

I fear the rising temperatures will scupper our chances.

Posted

seems miles ahead of forecasts, it was 3am for this area last night, then earlier on it was 10pm now it looks like 530ish. the longer it takes probably the better to allow temps to drop further.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

The snow is heavier here now and readily settling - undoing the effects of the earlier thaw!

Posted

seems miles ahead of forecasts, it was 3am for this area last night, then earlier on it was 10pm now it looks like 530ish. the longer it takes probably the better to allow temps to drop further.

Yeah Crazy , will probably have all passed through by 6pm .. I hope some of the showers behind reach us as well.

Posted

Snowing hard in Hereford City! Car says 0.0ºc

:nonono:

At the moment im expecting rain to start then some sleet and maybe snow.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Here comes the inevitable rise in temperature. 0.1c and -1.4c DP, a rise of 0.2c and 0.3c respectively in 15 mins.

I fear the rising temperatures will scupper our chances.

Yes Nick...I've noticed a rise to 1C...we're going to be either very lucky or very unlucky.....the GFS based NW Radar is showing cannock/staff/telford area as the battle ground this evening...a real 50/50!

Posted

Snowing hard in Hereford City! Car says 0.0ºc

\

gd news for us lot then. your nearest weather station was -0.2 at 4pm so your cars about right.

Posted

The snow is heavier here now and readily settling - undoing the effects of the earlier thaw!

Nice to here , I should find out my fate in the next 29 minutes or so ...>

Posted

Hi guys for what must be the 100th time can people please state their locations in their posts. iPhone does not show avatars! Cheers