Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 8

M'Lady

Posted

Just been out and about, even though there is a thaw, and the beautiful undistrubed snow from a couple of days ago, is now a brown, muddy mess on some paths and at the kerbsides, there's still plenty left on the grass. Just took a detour back via some hilly parts of Oldham in and around Hartside Pike, and the fields are picture postcard winters wonderland. It will be a few more days before that snow dissapears lol

Posted

they didn't have very much snow in macclesfield last night once I came down into the town. Slow thaw of lying snow, still 5 inches on the ground at the end of today. Max of 2.6C at lunchtime today, dropped back to 1.5 at 3.30pm. Gone misty now. HAve driven to the tropics of Wilmslow now for Christmas, still white here although melting slowly. Colder in Wilmslow last night than Macc town and more snowfall surprisingly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

The MetO is now including Cumbria for the snow threat tomorrow evening.

One to watch.

Andy

Im not expecting much as we go in xmas, also tuesday night was a real let down with rain sad.gif.

Hi,

Do you have any lying snow in Carlisle?

Where abouts in Carlisle are you?

Cheers,

Andy

Posted

The MetO is now including Cumbria for the snow threat tomorrow evening.

One to watch.

Andy

Hi,

Do you have any lying snow in Carlisle?

Where abouts in Carlisle are you?

Cheers,

Andy

I have quite abit of lying snow left, im in the orton rd area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well i have managed to maintain a covering of snow in my back garden so at least i can say there was snow on the ground

Christmas day 2009

BTW does Sleet qualify as a white christmas or does it have to be 100% Snow?

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Just a quick update for the weekend - Until Tuesday using the GFS.

from tomorrow onwards there will be a slight but gradual rise temps for the north west with inland temps tomorrow generally getting to around 3 degrees and maybe lower on hlly areas. NW coastal regions may see temps around 4-5c . From Friday night into Saturday a band of rain looks to be heading our way from the SW and with temps ranging from 2-7c and dew points on the rise along with warm upper air temps this will most likely see rain for many areas, heavy at times. However for inland areas of Cumbria the temps are likely to stay colder than those for the rest of the region and wintery type precip is possible here.

Rain could be persistant for most from Saturday morning well into sunday Morning and significant thawing could be possible in many NWern areas but by Sunday evening a LP pressure system will have moved NE across us to the North Sea and by monday morning will see winds vere to a more NWerly direction, which will then pull in cold uppers of -5c any precip around will turn more wintry although it will be generally dry and cold for most by Sunday evening. Expect a cold night sunday night !

From this point onwads all eyes will be on The early hours of Tuesday morning as the cold air will again become stagnant and the possibly of snowfall arrives once again as a heavy band off Ppn moves towards us from the SW!

Seasons greetings one and all amd Enjoy your Xmas weekend ! drinks.gifsmiliz19.gif

Posted

Just a quick update for the weekend - Until Tuesday using the GFS.

from tomorrow onwards there will be a slight but gradual rise temps for the north west with inland temps tomorrow generally getting to around 3 degrees and maybe lower on hlly areas. NW coastal regions may see temps around 4-5c . From Friday night into Saturday a band of rain looks to be heading our way from the SW and with temps ranging from 2-7c and dew points on the rise along with warm upper air temps this will most likely see rain for many areas, heavy at times. However for inland areas of Cumbria the temps are likely to stay colder than those for the rest of the region and wintery type precip is possible here.

Rain could be persistant for most from Saturday morning well into sunday Morning and significant thawing could be possible in many NWern areas but by Sunday evening a LP pressure system will have moved NE across us to the North Sea and by monday morning will see winds vere to a more NWerly direction, which will then pull in cold uppers of -5c any precip around will turn more wintry although it will be generally dry and cold for most by Sunday evening. Expect a cold night sunday night !

From this point onwads all eyes will be on The early hours of Tuesday morning as the cold air will again become stagnant and the possibly of snowfall arrives once again as a heavy band off Ppn moves towards us from the SW!

Seasons greetings one and all amd Enjoy your Xmas weekend ! drinks.gifsmiliz19.gif

It's fingers crossed for Tuesday, the latest charts has that low further south, but introduces the much colder air quicker. I feel we won't know until late Sunday, whether or not we will be in the firing line! Merry Xmas to you all, and here's hoping to a cold and snowy New Year! Edited by Solar Cycles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Tomorrow will be a white Christmas here in Wigan :cold: , maybe not any falling from the sky ,but a good 1-2cms lying on gardens,paths and side roads , temp currently -1.0c so it's not gonna thaw tonight :drinks::drinks:

Posted

Tomorrow will be a white Christmas here in Wigan :clap: , maybe not any falling from the sky ,but a good 1-2cms lying on gardens,paths and side roads , temp currently -1.0c so it's not gonna thaw tonight :drinks::drinks:

Spoke too soon , temp now up to -0.2c :wallbash::aggressive:

Where is everybody, am i the only saddo here :cray:

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Where abouts in Wigan are you Spurry?

You are always colder than me (currently 1.4c in Appley Bridge).

I am on the first nipple of land from the Irish sea, so with a Westerly this is understandable, but currently this is not the case.

Posted

Where abouts in Wigan are you Spurry?

You are always colder than me (currently 1.4c in Appley Bridge).

I am on the first nipple of land from the Irish sea, so with a Westerly this is understandable, but currently this is not the case.

Live in Winstanley , work base is in Aspull , so i do post from either ..currently in Winstanley...merry xmas

Aspull is quite high , as is winstanley (compared to the rest of Wigan anyway)...... i would have thought that Appley Bridge would have lower temps as it is more 'rural' , although i supppose you are nearer the coast

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Yeah there seems to be a better snow cover remaining down this end.

My temp sensor is located in a gap between my shed and fence, so maybe this is insulating it a bit.

Posted

Now this is interesting, the latest Manchester METAR

It had gone for rain for later Christmas Day but the latest one now mentions rain snow. So there maybe a possibilty if you had placed a bet on Manchester recording a white Christmas of winning it. Liverpool Aiprort also includes rain snow as well

Manchester Aiport

Temporary

from 25 at 17 UTC to 25 at 21 UTC

Visibility 6000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft

rain snow

Posted

Now this is interesting, the latest Manchester METAR

It had gone for rain for later Christmas Day but the latest one now mentions rain snow. So there maybe a possibilty if you had placed a bet on Manchester recording a white Christmas of winning it. Liverpool Aiprort also includes rain snow as well

Manchester Aiport

Temporary

from 25 at 17 UTC to 25 at 21 UTC

Visibility 6000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft

rain snow

I think the majority will see rain on the next band coming in, Manchester maybe seeing some snow before turning to rain. The bbc have us for snow on Tuesday (heavy day and night) and they have been pretty spot on during this cold spell. I for one im happy to have afew days of rain/cold days and then look forward to the possible reload on Tuesday ;0 I think a white new year would just be icing on a beauitful cake this winter so far.

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Morning and merry Christmas everyone,still got our snow hear temp is-3 c ATM .Its looking good for next week into the new year so if we loose the snow today or tomorrow fingers crossed it will be back next week.drinks.gif

Posted

Merry Christmas everyone.

Current temp. 0.3c, dewpoint 0.0c.

Possibility of more snow this evening is still there according to latest forecasts - so more radar and lampost watching...anddrunk.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A little bit still lying.

Merry Christmas all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Merry Christmas all in the NW!!! :cold::cold::shok: :lol: :shok: :lol:

I think I'll make a new thread while things a a tad quiet... :D

El closio!! :lol: