Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office Snow Days

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some records have been tumbling for Cleadon in a record going back to 1993. Longest number of consecutive snow days (10), largest number of snow days in an individual month (10) and largest annual snow days (15 for 2009).

Less than 50% snow cover now, so that consecutive run should come to an end tomorrow but there is the possibility of one or two coming about on the 30th/31st December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A total of 13 here (down by the harbour) including the final 12 days of the year!

Posted

just added mine and surprised to get 18 if my sums are correct-I'll do a full recheck later with 8 this December which is the highest I've recorded in that month since I started in 1997.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Waited until today to post this as snow still on the ground.

By Met O rules for me there were 21 snow lying days, 14 of which were the last fortnight of December. Deepest was 15cms on the 12th of February. This compares with 7 for 2008, 5 of which came in late Nov / early Dec.

I also have the stats for my family home in Aberfeldy in North Perthshire. I backed up my mum's oservations with checking the local Met O reporting site.

They had 35 snow lying days with 13 being at the end of December. Deepest level snow was 40 cms on the 27th December. Deepest of the noughties also.

This compared with 28 in 2008, 15 of which came in Oct - Dec. Deepest 15 cms on Jan 4rth 2008.

Posted

yep, got 2 here Julian, mind you byt the slimmest of margins-don't bother with a ruler but it still counts.

I think it used to be reported as snow depth;p type 7 = all over cover and depth=99695=too thin to measure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Cleadon, Winter 2009/10 has produced 18 snow days so far- the same as the entire 1993/94 season (which includes that week of snow cover in November 1993), and the most during a winter quarter since 1985/86 (as I mentioned in another thread, while February 1986 was a dull dry month in the SE, it was a pretty snowy one in the NE).

2010 has produced 8 snow days out of 8, all of which have had between 9 and 15cm on the ground. This is more than in all of the Januarys from 2004 to 2009 combined.

Posted

Well today has marked the 3rd day of 50% snow cover although it has melted quite abit where the paths have been grited or where people have walked on the path frequently in fact theres non at all in some areas, but away from there its still a good covering.

Does that still qualify do you think?

Hopefully we'll get some tops ups on Sunday whistling.gif

Posted

We have had 25 continuous days of snow cover here,the greatest depth being 10.5 inches on the 20th dec.

We are still clinging on to a couple inches, not sure for how long though.

Great winter so far.

Posted

It is fairly wet snow now but at 0900 today it still completely covered the ground 8cm so its the 9th consecutive day with a complete cover.

It has to be a long time since Doncaster had so many days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

11 consecutive days so far this year, with 25 consecutive met office snow days, double the average for all of winter here! It is greatly reduced though, down from 25cm, easily the most in living memory and possibly my lifetime, on Saturday, with a covering of around 8 inches from the 27th of December to the 9th January (a bit less around Hogmanay).

11 consecutive days so far this year, with 25 consecutive met office snow days, double the average for all of winter here! It is greatly reduced though, down from 25cm, easily the most in living memory and possibly my lifetime, on Saturday, with a covering of around 8 inches from the 27th of December to the 9th January (a bit less around Hogmanay).

Just the 22 days (and still counting) here :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

21 Met' Office snow lying days here so far this winter, 10 of them this month. It seems very likely that the current snow cover of 25cm will make it until Thursday in which case the number of days will be the most in January since 1987 which also had 13.

It's a reflection on the mildness of January in the last 20 years that only three years since 1987 ( 1996, 1997 and 2003 )have managed more than 10 mornings with lying snow.

Posted

21 days of of the last 25days are full snow cover tomorrow morning.

And I can see it lasting beyond thursday now,there will be a slow thaw friday but 11inches now compact and a good few inches still to come tuesday night/wednesday???

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

26 days lying snow in a row although it is thawing like a thawy thing. Luckily we had 24cm, otherwise there'd be bog all left after these last 2 days (down to about 10cm now.)

Posted

24th day here, 13 in December and 11 this month with a brief break on the 30th, 31st and 1st when we were down to a less than 50% cover. Considering since I moved down to Lancashire in 2002 I had barely seen snow last 24 hours this has come as quite a pleasant surprise.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

During that cold spell Cleadon totalled 23 Met Office snow days- 10 in December, 13 in January.

This already beats the highest totals for the previous snowiest winter seasons since I started recording - 1993/94 and 1995/96 both had 18 days, and 1995/96 had 15 days during the winter quarter. It comfortably beats anything in the area since the notoriously snowy 1984/85 season.

Posted

This winter so far has seen the most days with lying snow at 0900 since at least 1985/86. December had 8 days and there are 10 days so far in January. Previous notable winters were 1995/96 (15 days), 1990/91 (13 days) and 1993/94 (10 days). Another interesting statistic is that it has equalled the number of days recorded in the previous six winters.

Days with snow lying at 0900 in Hedon from 1987/88 to 2009/10:

1987/88: 2

1988/89: 0

1989/90: 0

1990/91: 13

1991/92: 0

1992/93: 3

1993/94: 10

1994/95: 2

1995/96: 15

1996/97: 6

1997/98: 1

1998/99: 8

1999/00: 2

2000/01: 8

2001/02: 8

2002/03: 9

2003/04: 7

2004/05: 1

2005/06: 5

2006/07: 1

2007/08: 1

2008/09: 3

2009/10: 18 (so far)

Posted

This winter so far has seen the most days with lying snow at 0900 since at least 1985/86.

Oops- when I said 1984/85, somehow 1985/86 slipped my mind. I doubt that Cleadon's current total of 23 days would beat 1985/86, for as well as the February freeze-up (and I'd be surprised if that didn't produce at least 15 snow days) there were snowy interludes in 2nd week Nov, late Nov, and late Dec/early Jan.

However, as February 1986 had mainly light snowfalls I imagine the 25cm covering on the 9th January 2010 won't have been exceeded at any point during the month, or indeed the 1985/86 winter as a whole.

Posted

14 days of snow lying (>50%) at 9am so far:

24th Dec 1cm

2nd, 3rd Jan, 5th Jan all 0.5cm

6-15 Jan continuous >50% cover, greatest depth 6cm on 13/14 Jan.

So for January at least a decent number of days, but the depths nothing special; deepest only since Feb 2007. 10 consecutive mornings equal best with 30/12/96-8/1/97 as the most since 1987. December was a terrible letdown here though- you have o go back to 1995 since there was more than 3cm of snow lying in that month.

Still some way to go to beat 1995/6 (21 days and max depth 15cm); 10cm has been reached only once since that winter.

Posted

29 days with 50% or more snowcover,yesterday was the last day for full snowcover

as all wednesday`s snow has thawed still lots of drifts remaining from the previous snow.

1995/96 I make it 56 days but that goes all the way until the middle of May afew days then aswell. :yahoo:

1995/96 wasn`t really known for any real deep snow like this winter except for the february battleground at 8inches.

Otherwise this Jan almost doubled that at 14inches depth one day. :cold:

Edited by Snowyowl9