Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Morning All.

Well, as the snow we did get (about 30-45mins in the end), as it was pre-ceeded by some heavy rain, whilst it did settle, due to some thawing et al, it now looks exactly the same outside this morning as it did yesterday morning (albeit with a thicker ice layer).

Just watching the weather forecasts this morning, but (and it may seem a bit of a silly question), but where is exactly is "North Midlands"?

You see, surely we really only have East/West Midlands? We don't have South Midlands (as its known as Central Southern England).

Anyway, Sky going for up to (note that means max at best) 4" in the likes of Lincs, Notts, Yorks, Northumb. and Cumbria, and BBC going for snow in pretty much the same area.

Didn't really see the forecast (Toddler SB1 randomly wanted to listen too Two Little Boys), but looking at the radar, guessing this is coming later on today.

Not looking brilliant for a White Christmas (officially) but we may have something left on the ground (which might actually resemble frost more) which is better than nought.

One thing I have noticed in the 3 showers we have got over the last 7 days, is there is always some kind of thaw before, during or after the snowfall.

Anyway, biggest problem today is going to be ice. I havent been outside yet, but if it has frozen outside, its going to be extremely dangerous.

Posted

still got the snow here ...hopefully we will get an ice day today so this 5cm of the white stuff can stay through till tomorrow,it was nice to see some for a change TBH and falling on already frozen ground :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

still got snow for Xmas eve yay, did reach 1.4C in the night, but now skies clear and -1.3C, hope skies stay clear and keep my snow fow Xmas day

Posted

Nightmare here at the moment following the freezing rain. Very difficult for me as im still hobbling around on crutches!

post-1766-12616458030413_thumb.jpgpost-1766-12616457776113_thumb.jpg

post-1766-12616457520913_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

No thaw last night at all, temperature still below freezing, the longer that stays the better.

Either way, a good chunk of the snowcover will almost certainly last into tomorrow!

Here is a photo of my back garden this morning:

post-7600-12616476818913_thumb.jpg

Very festive :drinks:

Posted

Sharp, perhaps severe frost in Oadby. SW Leicestershire. Freezing rain followed by brief snow last night has done very little to our garden snow cover. BBC vastly overcooking the temps yet again. Looking like a White Christmas for my 13 week old boys first festive season, in all but a technical sense. Still well below freezing here

Posted

Sun really struggling to break through here this morning. Hopefully will help peg the temperatures back, still -0.8c and has been for about an hour. The longer it stays around freezing the longer the snow will take to melt!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

2 degrees with a dp of 2 here so the temp difference in the south of the midlands is quite marked compared to the north midlands. No white Xmas for us!

Posted

2 degrees with a dp of 2 here so the temp difference in the south of the midlands is quite marked compared to the north midlands. No white Xmas for us!

I think it helps that I am pretty much in a semi-rural area. On the edge of a village with the countryside on our doorstep.

Posted

No ice on the car this morning, around 0.5, most of last nights snow has gone and the fogs getting worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not much melt here-in terms of snow cover on the ground we should have a White Christmas tomorrow. :)

Taking a brief peak at the charts next Tuesday looks interesting with Sleet all day but with so much time for change it could turn into a rain or snow fest aswell. C'mon give us the latter as weve waited so long!!!

Posted

Fog starting to roll in now, that will help keep the temps down! Just starting to creep closer to getting above freezing now, -0.1c.

Posted

Fog starting to roll in now, that will help keep the temps down! Just starting to creep closer to getting above freezing now, -0.1c.

I can't see the temps rising to 5C like the BBC suggested as its still -1C here.

Also worth adding that the BBC are suggesting possible snowfall for E Midlands/W parts of E Anglia tonight. An area of precip is going to move NE tonight and the W edge of the precip could see snow. Personally im rather doubtful of this forecast.

Posted

I can't see the temps rising to 5C like the BBC suggested as its still -1C here.

Also worth adding that the BBC are suggesting possible snowfall for E Midlands/W parts of E Anglia tonight. An area of precip is going to move NE tonight and the W edge of the precip could see snow. Personally im rather doubtful of this forecast.

It will take some warm up for the temps to rise above 2c, let alone 5c, especially as the fog is thickening here. Doubt I will get my first ice day but it certainly isn't going to be warm.

I think we had a very slight thaw last night, but then the temperature dipped below freezing again turning the snow into crunchy ice.

In fact, the temperature has now dropped to -0.2c, outside chance of an ice day after all!

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I think it helps that I am pretty much in a semi-rural area. On the edge of a village with the countryside on our doorstep.

Yes, me too. So the town itself would be higher I think. We're on the edge of a small village.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Temp in Northants at my rural location is currently 2.9c

Posted

hovering between freezing an 1degc here patchy freezing fog keeping temps down, must report a lot of black ice on all pavements and side roads,unsure.gif seems to be re freezing thawing snow too, is there a chance for more snow later?unknw.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

A stonking update if I've ever seen one from the MetOffice!!

"Scotland and Northern England should have sunny spells on Tuesday and Wednesday with occasional showers. These should be most frequent in the Northeast and could also fall as sleet or snow. Frost and freezing fog is possible overnight. Further south it is likely to be wet and windy with a risk of snow for Wales and the Midlands. This clearing to wintry showers during Wednesday. Temperatures are expected to be briefly mild in the far south but cold elsewhere. The rest of the period will have sunny spells but also wintry showers. Some longer spells of rain, sleet or snow are possible, although inland Central parts should see some good dry and sunny interludes. It will be cold or very cold with hard overnight frosts."

http://metoffice.com/weather/uk/wm/wm_forecast_weather.html 15 Day

They are definitely hinting at a battleground scenario there with the "risk of snow for Midlands" and it definitely adds credence to the incredible model outputs we are seeing at the moment from GFS and ECM particularly :-)

Posted

A stonking update if I've ever seen one from the MetOffice!!

"Scotland and Northern England should have sunny spells on Tuesday and Wednesday with occasional showers. These should be most frequent in the Northeast and could also fall as sleet or snow. Frost and freezing fog is possible overnight. Further south it is likely to be wet and windy with a risk of snow for Wales and the Midlands. This clearing to wintry showers during Wednesday. Temperatures are expected to be briefly mild in the far south but cold elsewhere. The rest of the period will have sunny spells but also wintry showers. Some longer spells of rain, sleet or snow are possible, although inland Central parts should see some good dry and sunny interludes. It will be cold or very cold with hard overnight frosts."

http://metoffice.com...st_weather.html 15 Day

They are definitely hinting at a battleground scenario there with the "risk of snow for Midlands" and it definitely adds credence to the incredible model outputs we are seeing at the moment from GFS and ECM particularly :-)

This isn't jumping off the fence by the Met Office...this is leaping a country mile off it! Looks pretty promising.

Just been up Castle Ring at the dizzying heights of 915 feet, seemed to have got a more substantial covering than us and the thaw hasn't really started there.

If it wasn't for this fog we would have had a widespread melt, but thankfully the temperature is still only 0.5c with minimal melting. The edges of the grass have melted and the snow is pretty wet, but unless we have a heatwave in the next 12 hours it should all remain.

Oh and glad to hear it was all sorted out mate :good:

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

logging on from work in the crappy town centre, but promising from nick about snow staying, still some in town centre, infact not much thaw, just washed away by feet, 80m asl, been foggy most of the day