Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

logging on from work in the crappy town centre, but promising from nick about snow staying, still some in town centre, infact not much thaw, just washed away by feet, 80m asl, been foggy most of the day

Yeah I think that is the best description actually. On fields, grass, untouched pavements, barely used roads etc. the snow still very much remains, it may be pretty wet stuff but it certainly isn't slush.

On busy pavements it has turned into the vile brown/black slush or just melted into a puddle - I prefer the latter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yeah I think that is the best description actually. On fields, grass, untouched pavements, barely used roads etc. the snow still very much remains, it may be pretty wet stuff but it certainly isn't slush.

On busy pavements it has turned into the vile brown/black slush or just melted into a puddle - I prefer the latter!

ill most likely put photos up tonight, yesterdays a bit crappy, but my garden was really good this morning, infact quite thick snow in places around wildwood

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Thawed a bit more, but still at least 95% cover. Temperature now dropped to 0.3c after a high of 0.5c. Certainly not the 5c that some were predicting. Hopefully the snow will freeze for tomorrow now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Bright here today but to my NE i can see a wall of Fog. Looks rather dense.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The BBC said a possibility of snow/sleet tonight? Can anyone enlighten me!

Yes might be a surprise for some on the back edge

Temps lower today then focast so 'down here' with 10% snow cover its a knife edge situation

Probably a 'torch' at midnight type thing then a run back to church

Cant see there being any around tomorrow morning

However still much colder then was predicted here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Temp in my area of Northants 3.5c and slow thaw. Grey and overcast. Merry Christmas to all

Posted

Much the snow has melted here though considering there was just 0.5cm there wasn't much to melt, currently 0.9c and thick fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Dense Fog setting in now. Hardly any snow has thawed. A very christmassy look!

Much the snow has melted here though considering there was just 0.5cm there wasn't much to melt, currently 0.9c and thick fog.

Every post you make conor makes you sound like you are down all the time, cheer up its christmas with more cold weather on the way, probably not much snow for you though in telford though with northern and eastern areas hogging all the snow again :drinks:

Posted

Still a good covering of snow here and now going very foggy. Looks very christmassy :):)

Posted

Still a good covering of snow here and now going very foggy. Looks very christmassy :):)

Yep same here.

Next Tuesday is looking rather stunning again if it comes off. The snow depth shows as much as 30cm over Wales. :) Its a good job it has experimental on it.

This needs watching over the next few days and only watching. It could all change but the Midlands at the moment could take a pasting.

To everyone-dont get excited at all yet until perhaps sunday evening at the earliest!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Bugger... Hope I don't get any of that drizzly precip that's showing up on the GFS for later tonight. There's stil a bit of snow cover here and there, but it is struggling to cling on. Drizzle is not what we need.

Posted

Yep same here.

Next Tuesday is looking rather stunning again if it comes off. The snow depth shows as much as 30cm over Wales. :) Its a good job it has experimental on it.

This needs watching over the next few days and only watching. It could all change but the Midlands at the moment could take a pasting.

To everyone-dont get excited at all yet until perhaps sunday evening at the earliest!

i wouldnt get your hopes up, because 9 times out of 10 these things dont come into fruition, even from 5 days out. it could be a snowfest or a rainfest. these lows are a devil to forecast, and as others have said, 50 miles of the low gtoing eitherway could make a massive difference on heavy rain/snow. itll probably turn into a nowcasting event, we all know what happened to that blizzard back in february dont we :)

Posted

i wouldnt get your hopes up, because 9 times out of 10 these things dont come into fruition, even from 5 days out. it could be a snowfest or a rainfest. these lows are a devil to forecast, and as others have said, 50 miles of the low gtoing eitherway could make a massive difference on heavy rain/snow. itll probably turn into a nowcasting event, we all know what happened to that blizzard back in february dont we :)

Thats why i said dont get exicted yet! :)

Every bit counts in tis set up though should things go right then we are in for a pasting or the opposite- A soaking!

Posted

Thats why i said dont get exicted yet! :(

Every bit counts in tis set up though should things go right then we are in for a pasting or the opposite- A soaking!

sorry when i heard you talking about the midlands at the moment looking to take a pasting i couldnt help but detect excitement. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

i wouldnt get your hopes up, because 9 times out of 10 these things dont come into fruition, even from 5 days out. it could be a snowfest or a rainfest. these lows are a devil to forecast, and as others have said, 50 miles of the low gtoing eitherway could make a massive difference on heavy rain/snow. itll probably turn into a nowcasting event, we all know what happened to that blizzard back in february dont we dry.gif

Crikey...yes. I remember the beeb forecast well. The first "Winter Storm" warning I had ever heard. Just goes to show how these events can never be in a reliable time frame until we have it in our sights, on the radar, and the snow reports are starting to make their way on to the forum.

Posted

Interesting. Sky News weather had snow flurry graphics over the East Midlands tomorrow morning. (6am)

EDIT: And sure enough, GFS gives us a 20% chance of moderate snow falling tomorrow morning between 6am and 9am:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=2;type=free;ct=21308~Northampton;sess=#forecast

White Christmas still a possibility for some of us then!

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

sorry when i heard you talking about the midlands at the moment looking to take a pasting i couldnt help but detect excitement. :D

Lol. I think we do stand some of the best chances but im not really going to look into it until sunday probably. Just enjoy the chart eye candy for now. :(

Fog is getting even thicker now! Very wintry. :(

Posted

Yep same here.

Next Tuesday is looking rather stunning again if it comes off. The snow depth shows as much as 30cm over Wales. :( Its a good job it has experimental on it.

Um, that's over higher ground only. (300m+)

I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet about Tuesday's event. My current feeling is most of the Midlands will only see rain/sleet for the most part, with the possibility of some back edge snow as the system clears.

Posted

Um, that's over higher ground only. (300m+)

I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet about Tuesday's event. My current feeling is most of the Midlands will only see rain/sleet for the most part, with the possibility of some back edge snow as the system clears.

Im not getting my hopes up! :cold:

How many times have i said that recently. :D

Posted

Im not getting my hopes up! :cold:

How many times have i said that recently. :D

Fine. But the chart doesn't show what you said it showed. It shows a snow event for higher ground in the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Foggy and a temp of 2.5c snow cover still good