Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Went to bed last night with the snow having stopped around 11:15. Later in the night I noticed it was raining and when I got up this morning a thaw had set in. However, as the day has gone on the thaw has slowed and everything is still covered although the road outside is now brown, not white, but is still covered.

I suppose the most intersting feature of the weather now is the fog which is getting thicker and thicker. Visibility now is les than 200m and, even as I write, it is noticably getting thicker.

I am at a loss to know what will happen next: colder or warmer? Charts show lots of lows circulating about one another with occluded fronts.

I guess wait and see but it does look like we will be white tomorrow after all...unless it chucks it down with rain this evening.

Yes the fog is getting thicker and thicker here too! Thaw has been very gradual during the day. We have lost just 2cm of cover since it stopped late last night - so a good 9cm or so remains currently.

Not sure of the temperature here - I could do with investing in a decent weather station!

Posted

freezing fog closing in here - car temp showed -2.5. Trees that had thawed earlier no crisp and white with frost. Todays forecast was to be +4/5?

Merry Xmas all

Posted

Temp now down to 0.9c, thick fog getting thicker. Been only a small thaw today. Hard to notice :drinks: . The road is full of slush at the temps are getting close to freezing. Great combination :drinks:

Posted

Fog seems to be thickening again. Temp now down to 1.4c. The front roads is full of slush :drinks: Still the thaw seems to be very slow which is good :drinks:

hehe same here! its still soooooooooooooo white! cant believe it! 0.8c and dropping :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Fogs about 150-200 meters visibility here, so expecting it to be VERY foggy once night falls properly.

Really makes a great scene with the deep snow.

Posted

Get the snow plough ready if the 12z comes off

laugh.gif

If you did 1mm = a cm of snow then the higher up parts would see up to 50cm if the GFS was to believed for Tuesday :)

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Get the snow plough ready if the 12z comes off

laugh.gif

If you did 1mm = a cm of snow then the higher up parts would see up to 50cm if the GFS was to believed for Tuesday :(

lol that setup will be seriously good! that time ill be looking at the 1991 event thinking god im 3yrs old again :(

Posted

hope the gfs is correct this evening, all i hear in that model thread from southerners is, 'i hope the low is further south so we can get a lot of snow' bla bla. there is also other people who want snow further north too, it annoys me and we will not here the last of it, if that low is to the south because it would be headline news 'blizzards blast southern britain'. we had a streamer on sunday what was pretty severe and nothing got mentioned really, we just dealt with it. always about the bloody southerners!

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

Some images... One is of the fog last night and the rest were taken during the heaviest snowfall this morning.

post-185-12616766879513_thumb.jpg

post-185-12616767292813_thumb.jpg

post-185-12616767973513_thumb.jpg

post-185-12616769627113_thumb.jpg

post-185-12616770059413_thumb.jpg

Posted

-1.c here and roads very main roads are very slushy, the side roads are covered in deep snow. No thaw today, except on the trees and roof, snowcover on the ground has not changed.

Posted

-1.c here and roads very main roads are very slushy, the side roads are covered in deep snow. No thaw today, except on the trees and roof, snowcover on the ground has not changed.

so jealous of you lot in leeds! we have had a bit of thaw today! my photos show it ugh lol

hope the gfs is correct this evening, all i hear in that model thread from southerners is, 'i hope the low is further south so we can get a lot of snow' bla bla. there is also other people who want snow further north too, it annoys me and we will not here the last of it, if that low is to the south because it would be headline news 'blizzards blast southern britain'. we had a streamer on sunday what was pretty severe and nothing got mentioned really, we just dealt with it. always about the bloody southerners!

totally understand mate hence the saying "southerners are softies" haha! :cold:

Posted

so jealous of you lot in leeds! we have had a bit of thaw today! my photos show it ugh lol

totally understand mate hence the saying "southerners are softies" haha! rofl.gif

yep. 'just need that low to be in the enlgish channel to deliver to use southerners'. um what about us in the north, we have had snow, but it still would be nice to think of prospects for us a bit further north too.wallbash.gif if that low starts showing to be in the english channel, chances are it will end up being further north or in france. The south has made more headlines with this 'milder weather' than us who have had quite a bit of snow. lincolnshire i think it was yesterday had freezing rain, yet it was only spoke about for the south. hypocrites, i get really annoyed.

Posted

They could say the same about you though in that "those northerners keep banging on about the low moving north, what about us!?" It all comes down to peoples own opinions from their location. I suspect the low will get pushed south with us missing the main precipitation. Something similar the ECM smile.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but didn't BBC News reports about the bad weather this morning feature footage of the snow in Gloucestershire, reported on the spate of accidents in Lincolnshire due to black ice and how heavy snow was affecting travel in Scotland? How many of those places count as being down south?

Posted

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but didn't BBC News reports about the bad weather this morning feature footage of the snow in Gloucestershire, reported on the spate of accidents in Lincolnshire due to black ice and how heavy snow was affecting travel in Scotland? How many of those places count as being down south?

Yeah I know what you mean, but they didn't once mention the problems in Leeds, considering it is the most important city outside of London (for business, financial sector etc).

Ah come on, lets not worry about the damn media! We can slate them after the next severe cold spell hits!

Personally I'm just glad after the recent snow and cold, that we still have more to look forward to!

Check the 12z ensembles for London, my mouth was agape at the agreement of a long and severe cold spell towards the New Year - simply incredible! :help:

12z london ensembles

Posted

the ECM 12z is a kick ass of a chart! potent NE with widespread ppn as theres no annoying low stopping the flow. As there would be troughs getting well inland!

Recm1921.gif

Posted

Looking good isn't it :help: That low beforehand (The one for early next week) could be little more south however overall a very good run from the ECM and no doubt would bring us yet more snow! Currently foggy with the temp at 0.2c

Posted

Looking good isn't it :acute: That low beforehand (The one for early next week) could be little more south however overall a very good run from the ECM and no doubt would bring us yet more snow! Currently foggy with the temp at 0.2c

0.3c here mate, snow has thawed a bit today! but i think its the damp fog causing it to change colour!. But yeah that NE would deliver snow here and everywhere else for once instead of what happened last Thursday with that pesky low pressure.

Posted

-1.1c the fog/mist is like drizzle, it is wetting all surfaces. The snow has a thin frozen layer on top, which would give the impression that it has been raining and the layer has frozen over.

Edited by 10123