Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Pictures from this morning:

Latest view from the kitchen window:

24122010.jpg

Dining room window:

24122011.jpg

A tree, frozen in time:

24122012.jpg

All in all, this morning was very reminiscent of the 80's. Thick, slushy muck on the main road, compacted snow in the street....all we need now is another 5 or so inches and then i'll get my roof avalances...

Posted

Precipitation not so far away according to the radar... Temp is 0.3c and Dewpoint -0.4c.

Some heavy PPN has been around 15 mile to my east for over an hour, but it's rain.Im hoping it stays where it is otherwise the snow will finally get washed away :lol:

Posted

Interestingly, Rain Today are showing the rain/snow turning to snow proper as it passes through the Mansfield area, to the south of Lincoln and to the west of Grimsby.

Edited by Rob W

Posted

Precipitation not so far away according to the radar... Temp is 0.3c and Dewpoint -0.4c.

its very close to here also!!! -0.3c dew -1.1c

Posted

Its snowing quite heavily here in Grantham meaning we officially have the first white christmas that i have ever seen :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Special xmas thanks to the greenland high that`s made this quite an incredible spell!

I have NEVER known frost to form after/during a warming across the snowfield and fog?

Still, hovering around 0°C with partial cloud,

Snow on the ground for Jesus on his birthday - what more could one want?

happy crimbo to all NW folk old n new :)

Posted

Its snowing quite heavily here in Grantham meaning we officially have the first white christmas that i have ever seen :clap:

The BBC forecast suggests a last hurrah by the cold weather this evening, over the north, before milder air moves in :clap:

Posted

A nice white Christmas here, I'm glad it all lasted biggrin.gif Now it can do what it likes during this milder blip (milder blip, don't you love it laugh.gif) before the cold returns around the 28th, 29th biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

omg the frost has turned the snow whiter and looks amazing in the sun :lol: proper white Christmas wooop :shok:

Merry Christmas every one!.

Posted

merry christmas all! Heres to more snow and excellent charts! :cold:

After last night think I will be leaving the booze alone for a little while lol :shok:

omg the frost has turned the snow whiter and looks amazing in the sun :lol: proper white Christmas wooop :shok:

Merry Christmas every one!.

Super isnt it, when I woke up this morning for a moment thought I was in the alps! The snow covered trees behind my house are an amazing site. :cold:

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

looks like this part of the country see one hell of a top up of snow by next week, if the snow this week wasn't enough, next week could be much worse blizzards etc and a lot of drifting etc.

Certainly. The key is though, the winds must be NE or NNE, otherwise we will just have wall to wall sun while the east coast gets battered!

Charts are looking good so far though :shok:

Posted

Certainly. The key is though, the winds must be NE or NNE, otherwise we will just have wall to wall sun while the east coast gets battered!

Charts are looking good so far though smile.gif

yes, but even if it was an easterly it would be a very strong wind and this is a very large ppn band so everywhere would deliver, its just like when rain comes from the south, we are in quite a looky spot, the more north you go the more cold it gets, yet you don't want to be too far north either or you may miss, which is why yorkshire is great spot for any type of snow imo. If that big low wasn't enough, there is a lot of very heavy snow showers packing in for new years! also if winds turn n-easterly, wouldn't that push the band of ppn on a slant and move it south quicker, if it is an easterly it would be much harder for the ppn to move and it would stall over us in a way. while off yet though.

Posted

I still think were going to be to far south for that low as they normally trend south, that's not to say this one will. We shall have to keep an eye on it. What ever happens though a wintry couple of weeks is coming up cold.gif

Posted

yes, but even if it was an easterly it would be a very strong wind and this is a very large ppn band so everywhere would deliver, its just like when rain comes from the south, we are in quite a looky spot, the more north you go the more cold it gets, yet you don't want to be too far north either or you may miss, which is why yorkshire is great spot for any type of snow imo. If that big low wasn't enough, there is a lot of very heavy snow showers packing in for new years! also if winds turn n-easterly, wouldn't that push the band of ppn on a slant and move it south quicker, if it is an easterly it would be much harder for the ppn to move and it would stall over us in a way. while off yet though.

Ye an easterly would probably be the number one result. As long as its not a straight northerly were laughing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I was hoping for a thaw so I could get the bike out for a ride. Now more snow next week?

Going to take the battery out and attempt to clean all the muck off the thing from the last ride.

Posted

I still think were going to be to far south for that low as they normally trend south, that's not to say this one will. We shall have to keep an eye on it. What ever happens though a wintry couple of weeks is coming up cold.gif

im hoping for the eye of the low to be around sotuh midlands.

Posted

ive got a feeling south of yorkshire could get the brunt of it all if it trends slightly further north! so yorkshire could be best place as it all be snow rather than rain to snow :) what a xmas present eh!!!!

Posted

ive got a feeling south of yorkshire could get the brunt of it all if it trends slightly further north! so yorkshire could be best place as it all be snow rather than rain to snow smile.gif what a xmas present eh!!!!

Sure would be :) Its just i have a feeling it is going to trend further south with us missing the main stuff. Even if we do it looks very wintry over the next couple of weeks :)

Posted

Sure would be :) Its just i have a feeling it is going to trend further south with us missing the main stuff. Even if we do it looks very wintry over the next couple of weeks :)

one thing i can say is that we will see more snow than we have now :) snow still lasting here btw :)

Posted

one thing i can say is that we will see more snow than we have now smile.gif snow still lasting here btw smile.gif

Same, not melting much. Perhaps i should try and push it by hoping it to the cold air floods back south on the 28th. Doesn't look that mild between now and then!

Posted

Amazingly we've still only reached 1.5C today and already the temperature is falling and is 0.9C. There could be another hard frost tonight. Not bad considering this is the milder 'blip' between the last and next cold spell.