Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Warmest day for ages over 2c. I'm looking at the bad of weather to the west. According to netweather extra it's rain but then thats as reliable as chocalate fireguard at times. I need to poke around the other more western threads.

Posted

Warmest day for ages over 2c. I'm looking at the bad of weather to the west. According to netweather extra it's rain but then thats as reliable as chocalate fireguard at times. I need to poke around the other more western threads.

Some leading edge snow perhaps? That's if it even makes it. Looks like it would turn to rain on the back edge though with it turning slightly milder.

Posted

-0.9C here, hoping for a spell of snow later :lol:

Not really bothered about any accumulation just dont want it to be sleet/rain and melt my cover. But probably will with it coming straight over the irish sea.. :D

Posted

Little thaw today, will take alot to get rid of this lot, max of 2.1c today which again is way higher that the forecast high of -1.c, but this has happened every day this week, haven't had a sub zero week since last Friday. Currentley -1.4c.

Anyway the rain (snow?) band tonight is further East than predicted by the BBC.

Current radar shows the PPN over central Wales post-8968-12617647568513_thumb.jpg

The forecast was for the PPN only to skim Wales post-8968-12617648531013_thumb.jpg

More info look at the radar http://www.metoffice...ent/weathermap/

Edited by 10123

Little thaw today, will take alot to get rid of this lot, max of 2.1c today which again is way higher that the forecast high of -1.c, but this has happened every day this week, haven't had a sub zero week since last Friday. Currentley -1.4c.

Current radar shows the PPN over central Wales post-8968-12617647568513_thumb.jpg

The forecast was for the PPN only to skim Wales post-8968-12617648531013_thumb.jpg

the question is mate will it be rain or snow. this morning they forecasted snow but this afternoon they say rain n sleet but on bbc shows big area of snow to north and on met office says rain sleet n snow -so where we stand!! i really really hope that tyhis does not turn out to be rain because if so it will ruin and destroy a nice snowcover we had! why its so cold!! any thoughts??

Posted

Yes it is further south than predicted, wonder if this will increase our chances of snow :lol:

If the precipitation keeps its intensity we may be in for a pleasant suprise. My temperature -1.3C and falling :D

Edit:

Weve had very little thaw again today. wonder if its because of the chevin sheltering us from the sun..

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

the question is mate will it be rain or snow. this morning they forecasted snow but this afternoon they say rain n sleet but on bbc shows big area of snow to north and on met office says rain sleet n snow -so where we stand!! i really really hope that tyhis does not turn out to be rain because if so it will ruin and destroy a nice snowcover we had! why its so cold!! any thoughts??

I would go for snow and high up are likely to see some snow, maybe a prolonged period of snow then rain on the backing edge.

I would go for snow and high up are likely to see some snow, maybe a prolonged period of snow then rain on the backing edge.

whts your temp mate!? i dont have my forecast statiojn but the roofs n cars are still frosty.must be sub zero with snow cover!!

Posted

-0.5c with a dew of -1.5c!!! so it could snow! that intense part looks to be traveling straight east at the moment!

Posted

whts your temp mate!? i dont have my forecast statiojn but the roofs n cars are still frosty.must be sub zero with snow cover!!

I don't know where you live, I'm assuming Leeds, depending on high up you are I would say around -1.c

Posted

omg look at the latest radar! If it keeps the same intensity and the 32mm+/h was to hit us, I think things would get very interesting :pardon:

Temperature now -1C

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Precipitation is ahead of schedule at the moment, which makes it less marginal for eastern areas, and more marginal for western areas, as Eastern areas of yorkshire and the country hang on to -3 to -4 850's, dews will be fine.

But in western areas, the warm sector of 0 to -1 soon comes over you.

So my guess, East of Leeds area has the best chance of seeing snow on it's leading edge.

Western areas with altitude above 150m should see snow all the way through

Dews are fine until midnight, gunna check thickness in a sec :pardon:

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Temp 0.1C, DP -1.5C, and just started snowing. However, unless there is some evaporative cooling (which is unlikely given the likely lack of intensity) I still expect this to turn to sleet (and possibly even back-edge rain) before it clears through.

Posted

Precipitation is ahead of schedule at the moment, which makes it less marginal for eastern areas, and more marginal for western areas, as Eastern areas of yorkshire and the country hang on to -3 to -4 850's, dews will be fine.

So my guess, East of Leeds area has the best chance of seeing snow on it's leading edge.

Western areas with altitude above 150m should see snow all the way through

Dews are fine until midnight, gunna check thickness in a sec :pardon:

Lewis

yay could it be good here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just started snowing again.

Posted

Dews are fine until midnight, gunna check thickness in a sec smile.gif

Lewis

I think those who got snow on Thursday are likely to see snow again, as conditions aren't too different so I don't see why eastern areas would have a better chance when all they got was rain on Thursday, and the situation we have is even more marginal.

Anyway hopefully we will all see some snow.

Posted

yay could it be good here?

Merry Xmas mate, i see you changed your forum name in the end :pardon:?

Looking good yes, very good infact.

Just started snowing again.

May i ask if you have any elevation, thanks mate.

And merry xmas, all the best :o.

May i also ask everyone West of me, to report on whats falling, location, elevation and there current dews and temps before and when the precipitation hits.

Regards

Lewis

P.S - Here in Hull 0.7c temp with a -1 dew.

Posted

I think those who got snow on Thursday are likely to see snow again, as conditions aren't too different so I don't see why eastern areas would have a better chance when all they got was rain on Thursday, and the situation we have is even more marginal.

Anyway hopefully we will all see some snow.

Difference to now and then is, is that we are all in a more favorable setup now, especially areas east of the penines because the other night we was dragging in modification off the N sea, and the warm sector SE of us nackard it up.

We have favorable 850's then say Leeds area and westwards, there's no decent thickness so cooler 850's can make up for that.

Lewis

Posted

PPN has really pepped up and heading straight for Leeds with even bits of white (torrential) showing! http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Posted

PPN has really pepped up and heading straight for Leeds with even bits of white (torrential) showing! http://www.metoffice...ent/weathermap/

we only need a top up on the roads and the houses and trees really. paths and gardens are covered still.

will this snow melt over the weekend quickly as temps will be higher by a couple of degrees?

Posted

Merry Xmas mate, i see you changed your forum name in the end :p?

Looking good yes, very good infact.

May i ask if you have any elevation, thanks mate.

And merry xmas, all the best :).

May i also ask everyone West of me, to report on whats falling, location, elevation and there current dews and temps before and when the precipitation hits.

Regards

Lewis

P.S - Here in Hull 0.7c temp with a -1 dew.

cheers mate, best xmas ever if it does happen then next weeks blizzards! its like were in a bloody dream!