Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

this is from a local weather station in coventry..i wldnt mind this one bitwhistling.gif

After a brief milder interlude, it looks as if the cold weatheris back this week, with the potential for copious amounts of snow in our region over the next two weeks or so, though this is most likely over the Warwickshire hills, with rain sleet and wet snow perhaps over lower lying parts and in towns and cities. It is certainly going to be an interesting spell of wintry weather, that's for sure!

On Monday, it will be dry and bright with sunny spells, though after a hard overnight frost, temperatures will only recover slowly.

In a moderate easterly breeze maximum temperatures may only rise to 2°C - well below average for the 28th of December in Coventry (6.7°C).

Under clear skies this evening, there will be an early ground frost as minima fall back to 0°C in the early hours of Tuesday; as cloud and rain edges in from the south towards dawn and meets this cold air, the rain will turn to sleet and wet snow snow into Tuesday, especially over the higher ground to the south and north of Coventry.

<P class=style5>The early rain and sleet will turn increasingly to snow during the day with highs of just 2°C or so, feeling cold in a brisk easterly breeze. Snow accumulations will be greatest over local hills of course, though there should be a covering almost everywhere by afternoon.

Outlook - further rain sleet and snow is likely at times; briefly milder on Wednesday then sub-zero by New Year's Day with the potential for a lot more snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

this is well FI but the channel low for new years eve looks good

:good: I think i may think about that after the next few days...if you dont mind. Lol.

Posted

I think many in here are worrying that because 1 or 2 models are not showing what we want then because of our luck it will probably be right. The Met Office/BBC seem ro be ignoring the UKMO Charts in their forecast and for a reason surely! If the GFS was right then the BBC would have more than egg on their faces-however i still think the GFS has not got this situation right.

This should cheer you up slightly! The GFS 06z seems to have a slight shift southwards than previous runs. Hopefully this may continue in further runs!

IF I remember this correctly Ian from the Beeb Forecast team said the people at HQ wasnt realy following the GFS due to it's inacuries of late,but folling other Model's.(NAEM)

That's the basic asumption I think he was saying to James(TRICKEY)

Apoligies Ian if I have this incorrect.

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

IF I remember this correctly Ian from the Beeb Forecast team said the people at HQ wasnt realy following the GFS due to it's inacuries of late,but folling other Model's.(NAEM)

That's the basic asumption I think he was saying to James(TRICKEY)

Apoligies Ian if I have this incorrect.

Thats interesting. I think we still are looking at a rather severe event for some-rain or snow! Snow quite likely for us imo.

Posted

Thats interesting. I think we still are looking at a rather severe event for some-rain or snow! Snow quite likely for us imo.

yea dont get me wrong,

I think you just might be building snowmen,

I mean at present it's looking like very heavy snowfall for Wales,S Midland's,Midland's and parts of the South West a possability or as far south as the M4.

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Still looking good for us West Midlanders, Met Office not backing down, this could be the big one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4198/ look at the merthyr forecast in the S.Wales valleys:O

Posted

bring on the snow! :cold:

If we don't get anything, I think a trip to the Welsh hills will be in order :D

Posted

you're right nick, meet up tomorrow morning at new street? :p

If we are taking the train it will probably be the wrong type of snow :drinks:

And take a look at the first paragraph of cold ramper Rob McElwee's monthly outlook...

"This winter looks like going down as one of the more memorable "proper winters". The wind this coming month is anywhere from southeasterly to northerly - all cold at this time of the year."

And has anybody else noticed the lack of any news about this? If this was predicted for London it would have its own special bloody section...

Edited by nick2702

Posted

If we are taking the train it will probably be the wrong type of snow :drinks:

And take a look at the first paragraph of cold ramper Rob McElwee's monthly outlook...

"This winter looks like going down as one of the more memorable "proper winters". The wind this coming month is anywhere from southeasterly to northerly - all cold at this time of the year."

And has anybody else noticed the lack of any news about this? If this was predicted for London it would have its own special bloody section...

lol and I live next to the train station in Narborough as well so count me in ... 30 Mins from New ST

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

Argh, it's too far West :)

Oh well.

Posted

Argh, it's too far West :)

Oh well.

HEE Seems the Met have bottled it and changed there warning to Wales and surrounding areas and thats it. They have kept there advisory for other areas but them advisory's mean confidence of less than 40% , Oh well wheres that umbrella .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

HEE Seems the Met have bottled it and changed there warning to Wales and surrounding areas and thats it. They have kept there advisory for other areas but them advisory's mean confidence of less than 40% , Oh well wheres that umbrella .

The Met Office have increased there warning for Tuesday to the high risk category for Central England and Wales, although they have the darker shading for central Wales but even the southern Counties are "now" in a warning. Hard one to call as always and its more than easy to get "egg on your face" when forecasting snow but hopefully it will be "snow on your face" especially for the majority of Wales and the West Midlands....... :):) :excl:PS I expect there will be even more changes to come later today, the usual swapping and changing in these situations! :)

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted

The Met Office have increased there warning for Tuesday to the high risk category for Central England and Wales, although they have the darker shading for central Wales but even the southern Counties are "now" in a warning. Hard one to call as always and its more than easy to get "egg on your face" when forecasting snow but hopefully it will be "snow on your face" especially for the majority of Wales and the West Midlands....... :):) :excl:PS I expect there will be even more changes to come later today, the usual swapping and changing in these situations! :)

Hopefully, although If I wake up in the morning to the sound of pitter patter on the window i'm gonna bang my head against a brick wall . lol. Have seen no snow in Leicester since Feb .

Posted

Aston Villa vs Liverpool tomorrow night. If the met office have got it right then the game will probably be postponed. Im proper gutted because i have tickets, but i also wont mind a big snow event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I really don't know what to make of it. BBC weather has me down for heavey snow from 9am tomorrow, netweather has me down for sleet/rain, the Met Office just have an advisory.

Woolly hat and snow boots or a brolley and wellingtons?

I've been reading the posts from both this thread and the model threads, to be honest I thought the model thread people where going to come to blows :help:

Beautiful sunny day here after some fog mid morning.

Temp down to -2.4c last night and hovering about 3.3c at the moment.

The canal refroze last night after partly thawing with floating chunks of ice yesterday.

Boats that broke the ice before it started to thaw were struggling through over 1 to 2 inch thick ice. Most boats gave up and moored. It was only a working boat with full load of coal and diesel on board manage to break the ice.

Posted

Just a tad confused at the moment. Watched the BBC weather update with John Hammond, and the graphics didn't show the precip making it anywhere near Birmingham for tomorrow, with him saying that the rain/snow won't move much all day. When he said that, the snow band was tilted from NW-SE with the heaviest over central and southern parts of Wales and the northern edge just south of Birmingham.

Now either here won't get any snow at all, or it just confirms what I've been saying all along and that's that BBC weather is simply, vague.

I'm also very confused, either there trying to cover there A**** or they don't have a clue.

:closedeyes::closedeyes::angry:

Posted

A FRESH blast of icy weather will bring up to 12 INCHES more snow - and travel chaos - to parts of the UK tomorrow.

Wales will be worst hit by the blast, with a one foot of the white stuff expected on higher ground.

While up to four inches of snowfall in the Midlands and surrounding parts of central England is also expected.

The snow could not come at a worse time as millions of workers will take to the roads tomorrow as they head to the office for the first time since Christmas.

And many areas of the UK are still struggling to get back to normal after sleet and snow from before Christmas Day froze as temperatures plunged during an Arctic blast.

Forecaster Paul Knightley said a system moving in from the Atlantic this evening would meet colder air, forming snow.

Freeze

He said: "Across higher ground in central and south Wales, we can expect to see heavy snow - 20 to 30cm, or up to a foot, by Tuesday lunchtime, with strong winds pushing it higher in drifts.

"Tuesday is going to be a nasty day across much of Wales.

"We can also expect to see falls of 5 to 10cm (2-4 inches) in parts of the Midlands. We are not sure how far north or how far south this snow could fall.

"Southern counties may have some snow on Tuesday morning, but not enough to settle."

Advertisement

"It's particularly badly timed because people will going back to work after the weekend break.

"There could be problems anywhere in Wales, or large parts of central and southern England, in the next 48 to 72 hours - people should check forecasts before going out."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2786112/Foot-of-snow-is-on-the-way.html#ixzz0azB4mlFJ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I'm also very confused, either there trying to cover there A**** or they don't have a clue.

:rofl::closedeyes::lol:

I think they are as confused as us. With the wide variations from the models I'm not surprised :angry:

Think we should put the words snow and rain on a coin and flip it :lol: