Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

First signs of a Fife Streamer setting up:post-9298-12621287829013_thumb.png

Posted

we have just been out in the garden here ,as i went out for a ciggie and the clouds are doing odd things cookie could probably explain it better than me there is a halo around the moon ,but the clouds really high up ,are streaking across the sky ,thin band can see stars though it ,and there seemed to be other clouds moving in a differnt direction ,everyone came out to look as it almost looked like the northern lights ,we were wondering about ice cristals ,everybody here hasn't seen a sky like it ,the pics we took haven't come out :wallbash:

The upper air is moving at almost 180 degree angle to the lower air over Lewis, so you are quite right there should be clouds moving in opposite directions.

Riomball mun ghealaich. There is probably a really old word for a moon halo that I don't know.

Evening guys,

On the subjet of Easterlies, I remember the 87 spell which dumped a lot of deep powdery snow on Fife and Lothian in particular but even Glasgow got several inches such was the intensity of the Easterly. Obviously the uppers were much lower during that spell but the showers and prolonged spells of snow made it all the way west !

Here's to another strong Easterly drinks.gif

We got so much snow off that easterly in Glasgow that it was the only time in my 14 years living there that the side road I lived on was snow ploughed. We were off school for a few days too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Sleet/wet snow in Leith (only making the streets wetter) ... possible that the higher southern/western parts of the town might still be getting something out of this...

I need to move to Fairmilehead. :wallbash:

Was in Aberdeen shopping for the little one today, took my usual route over Riverside Drive and thought, what the he*l is going on? Cars stopped all along the drive, then i quickly noticed the River Dee...well, just have a look!

Wow that's amazing!

We are lucky to have a pond freeze over down here :wallbash:

If the GFS windspeeds come off for tomorrow then we will have a NE sustained wind of almost 28mph here by lunchtime. That would provide gusts of at least 45mph. How far would that blow Fife's showers inland then???

A very interesting day lies ahead tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

If the GFS windspeeds come off for tomorrow then we will have a NE sustained wind of almost 28mph here by lunchtime. That would provide gusts of at least 45mph. How far would that blow Fife's showers inland then???

A very interesting day lies ahead tomorrow.

Not quite Fife's showers yet, CMD, but hopefully by the time I wake up they will bebiggrin.gif

24 hours ending 2100 on 29 Dec 09: UK
Lowest max -12.2 °C Braemar
Lowest min -18.4 °C Braemar

What's the lowest max record again?

Not sure. :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

One for Mondy or Mr_Data

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just picked up a heavy one now. You're right CMD, wind is indeed picking up. May become interesting overnight if we're lucky!

Posted

-19 °C I believe.

Plenty of snow and ice grains here. Not far enough inland to get proper snow at the minute.

Not quite Fife's showers yet, CMD, but hopefully by the time I wake up they will bebiggrin.gif

Well, if tonight is anything to go by, we got a light sprinkling of hail (I think) off Mondy's shower earlier. So anything is possible.

Just as an aside, MrsCatch and I are going to the hospital tomorrow to get the 19/20 week scan of MrsCatch's baby, so we will find out if it is BabyBoyCatch or BabyGirlCatch coming to us in May.......

We are hoping for BoyCatch#3 as this would save a lot of new clothes....Two boys so far, 'mon the number 3 boy!!!

Just picked up a heavy one now. You're right CMD, wind is indeed picking up. May become interesting overnight if we're lucky!

See my previous posts about the very slight hail shower here earlier. That made it over 60 miles of land at night-time.

All hail :)

Wait until the wind really picks up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Good luck for tomorrow CMD! No doubt we will be hearing/sharing your news soon. 3 sons would be nice.

Good luck for tomorrow CMD! No doubt we will be hearing/sharing your news soon. 3 sons would be nice.

Thank you Blitzen :air_kiss:

3 healthy kids on the trot would be nice. If it is the full house of 3 sons, so be it. Unfortunately MrsCatch wants 3 boys and then me as number 4 boy. She is dead against a girl. I'm not fussed, I just want to be really lucky and have 3 pregnancies and 3 healthy babies in a row.

So long as the bump is growing and is healthy and is also born into a snowstorm I will be happy (due date=24th May)..........

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Got another reasonable shower of snow here. By the look of the radar I think we'll be seeing far more showers by the morning, though the showers are moving straight from the east at the moment. Snow just became very very heavy snow - much more of this and we'll be snowbound tomorrow!

LS