Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Perth Maximum today was -7.2C at 13.40.:drinks:

Posted

Zero, I think the source is (or might be +48) polar/cold? and from what I can make out the uppers should be about -7 to -8

anyway this chart paints a slightly different picture to what that forecast said - thoughts?

Yes that chart is for Hogmanay and I'm confident the snow should be back in time for then as the winf backs more northerly as the Greenland high begins to form. I think Wednesday will only be a temporary set back

Posted

Until very recently, I thought a northerly was the only direction which gave minimal (or none) snowfall. That changed last week, albeit it was slightly NW'ly :lol:

All directions give snow here, with perhaps an easterly and westerly the main sources. Have had buckets of snow from a westerly over the years. On Dec 18/19, a southerly component gave snow. Just that little further inland, but not far from the coast, can really help.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

the origin of the flow for Tuesday night is fairly mild, but the coldish (-6 - -8 ) uppers are moving south over most of Scotland overnight, where they will stay until Wednesday evening when the flow turns to more of a northeasterly and much colder air floods southwest.Wednesday is marginal for many coastal areas, but I'm fairly confident that anywhere north of Edinburgh and at least 10-15 miles inland will see showers of snow. I have to say that I'm glad I'm in Strath tomorrow night, as it's about 3 miles further inland of Freuchie, with more shelter from the Lomond Hills. Whether that many showers make it there is another matter but at least showers are less likely to be sleet.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Until very recently, I thought a northerly was the only direction which gave minimal (or none) snowfall. That changed last week, albeit it was slightly NW'ly :hi:

All directions give snow here, with perhaps an easterly and westerly the main sources. Have had buckets of snow from a westerly over the years. On Dec 18/19, a southerly component gave snow. Just that little further inland, but not far from the coast, can really help.

Nearly the opposite applies here, with almost all our snow arriving from straight northerlies. Our average annual ppn is around 600mm - perhaps only 2-3% of that is snow. However when snow does fall it tends to hang around - winter northerlies have a habit of loitering.

In summer we can get deluged by prolonged rain on an ENE - usually a stalled low over Tayside or thereabouts. It will be interesting to see whether we get anything off this easterly blast this week.

The area of snow over northern Grampian is tending to decrease in intesity and it moves SE which is unfortunate.

We got barely 1cm off that - very temporary prettiness only!

Posted

Still snowing wth about 4cms of fresh powdery snow on top of the old refrozen snow. According to the radar its almost over but there are some showers well to the north which we may get later in the night.

Still snowing wth about 4cms of fresh powdery snow on top of the old refrozen snow. According to the radar its almost over but there are some showers well to the north which we may get later in the night.

Posted

If Norrance or Amanda_Langlands are reading this- can you tell how much snow there is in Dundee? I've been away since Christmas eve and I'm back in Dundee this saturday.

Posted

If Norrance or Amanda_Langlands are reading this- can you tell how much snow there is in Dundee? I've been away since Christmas eve and I'm back in Dundee this saturday.

I was in Dundee this morning and there is about 2 or 3 inches frozen solid at the university.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

For the West side of the city we have about 4/5 cms of frozen snow,[more up St Mary's etc] the snow from a two nights ago having turned to sleet and rain then refrozen during the day. Today is a certain ice day so that will not shift soon. Further inland in Perthshire it stayed cold and Perth had about 8-10 inches of snow and parts of Perthshire up to 15 inches.

Hopefully the slightly milder air off the North sea in a day or two won't be mild enough to stop us getting snow showers off the forthcoming Easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

For the West side of the city we have about 4/5 cms of frozen snow,[more up St Mary's etc] the snow from a two nights ago having turned to sleet and rain then refrozen during the day. Today is a certain ice day so that will not shift soon. Further inland in Perthshire it stayed cold and Perth had about 8-10 inches of snow and parts of Perthshire up to 15 inches.

Hopefully the slightly milder air off the North sea in a day or two won't be mild enough to stop us getting snow showers off the forthcoming Easterly.

Same situation for Whitfield through to Downfield.

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Hi there Sawel, i was in Dundee until about 9pm last night. My other half lives just off the Aberdeen dual carriage way. He still has about 3 inches lying in his back garden. The roads back to here( thru Fintry, and past michellin) were really slippy. Carnoustie tho only has maybe an inch. Hope this helps.

Mandy

Posted

Well, what a waste of time that feature coming down from the north was here. Fizzled out completely... no new snow here since CHristmas Eve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Seems to a second wave of showers lining up off the north coast, be interesting to see how far south they get on this northerly flow

Posted

Thanks for the replies Hiya, Norrance and Amanda!

We still have a couple of inches lying here, the roads are bad and the footpaths are literally an ice-rink.

I don't remember snow lying this long in N.I in my lifetime, even the 7 inches of snow on xmas day and boxing day in 1995 didn't last as long as this.

It rained yesterday and the day before but there's still a fair amount of snow around...

Eastern Scotland is looking good for some snow from tomorrow night onwards, Hope it greets me this saturday when I'm back in Dundee! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Possible that anything arriviving at the east coast tomorrow may only be snizzle initially and with only inland/upland areas profiting initially.... but we'll see.

Bottom line to me is ... that is that it might be all very nice for us all to sit under blue skies, hard night-frosts, and get the skates out on hard frozen ponds and canals over the next 5-10-15 days.. but I suspect that many of us are snow freaks at heart, and in order to land more of the white stuff we have to take our chances with marginality. Or to torture a phrase "no (marginal) pain, no (snowy) gain".

Personally I'm happy to take my chances over the coming days and see see what comes out of the sky and what sticks to the ground. I'm putting a small bet on with myself that in Embra we'll have more snow on the ground by Saturday ... than we do currently (and we have plenty enough just now city-wide). I expect that to be the case elsewhere too but lets leave that for nowcasts and herecasts nearer the time, scanning the radar and gazing at the horizon.

Good luck to all !

:drinks:

Posted

I think a lot of people in the South are going to be disappointed if the weather pans out ala Ian Fergusons's comments on the South West thread.

Already raining in the far SW - as that cloudband moves north, temps will rise too - it's not exactly "Baltic" down there.