Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Nairn Webcam.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/?mi=10

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's looking good...I think Sneckie is at the extreme end of the snowfalls? The downside to snow from the NE, is that the wind-direction must be just right...

Have moderate snow here the noo... :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

It's looking good...I think Sneckie is at the extreme end of the snowfalls? The downside to snow from the NE, is that the wind-direction must be just right...

Have moderate snow here the noo... :crazy:

Looking fantastic up there Pete.:lol:

http://www.highlandhouseoffraser.com/web-cam-inverness.asp

Currently -15.4C here with ice on the inside of double glazing.

Is that a penguin I see at Loch Ness?

http://www.lochness.co.uk/livecam/nonjava.html

Posted

Interesting to see to what extent this air now makes its way up and into ... all points west and north of here, as FifeNess/Leuchars are still reporting -7c as I write. Fife will be next in line I'd imagine, certainly at the coast.

Certainly hasn't made it up here yet and I think this morning is actually the coldest yet. Leuchars was reading -9.1 at one point - you don't often see that!

Also, the met office seem to have backtracked on today being a 'mild' day here. On Sunday they were forecasting a maximum of 5, which had changed to -1 by yesterday evening. Maybe we'll get away with just a brief thaw tomorrow!

Posted

If you had told me that webcam was in Sweden, I would have believed you.

A balmy -5C with thick cloud cover here. Quite a strange combination. SO we've got snow to the north, snow to the east. I wonder how today will pan out :lol: :)

That Webcam's in Sweden Catch! :p

Posted

The snow is driving me mad! Is that a penguin at Loch Ness.:lol:

http://www.lochness.co.uk/livecam/nonjava.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'll have to visit the bank, today - polar bears permitting! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Now I have some daylght I can see the Fife horizon better. Theres a visible sharp line of cloud that seems to mark some demarcation between here (with this "new" air) and most of Fife (sitting in the colder air). Whether Fife punters can see a similar visible "cloud boundary" either above them or to the south would be interesting to know.

In the last hour or two I noticed both Berwick-upon-Tweed and Newcastle reporting "rain, snow" so some snizzle may be on the cards here as the day goes on.

Like I say, I ideally want to avoid any overly aggressive displacement from the east of the existing cold air, although thats obviously already happening here to an extent. Could get some snizzle here as the day goes on but as long as the flow is fairly slack then we may not take much of a warm-up hit from the sea...

Edit: some snizzle-bearing type cloud to the south and east and a steady east breeze here blowing things about a little. Like I foolishly said yesterday "no (marginality) pain, no (snowy) gain". I suspect I've jinxed the hard cold here for a day or two ! :lol:

Certainly hasn't made it up here yet and I think this morning is actually the coldest yet. Leuchars was reading -9.1 at one point - you don't often see that!

Also, the met office seem to have backtracked on today being a 'mild' day here. On Sunday they were forecasting a maximum of 5, which had changed to -1 by yesterday evening. Maybe we'll get away with just a brief thaw tomorrow!

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Yep, you're right By-Tor, that is sitting right above me now. Very slight breeze which is NNE temp -1.6c and dewpoint -5.8

Posted

Oh well here we go for the next chapter Blitzen !

Bright echoes to the east of me moving due west and "something" is imminent !

Yep, you're right By-Tor, that is sitting right above me now. Very slight breeze which is NNE temp -1.6c and dewpoint -5.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Still in the cold part of east central, overnight minima was -8.9C, and currently it's -6.5C. It's hard to say whether we'll get another ice day or not but it looks a bit unlikely due to the showers to the southeast of us moving our way through today but moreso overnight. Any precipitation that falls here, I reckon, will be snow, as the furthest north the 528 thickness line gets is just south of Edinburgh. Mind you, that layer of medium-level cloud spoken about is almost sitting over us at the moment.

Posted

Huntingtowerfield Minimum last night -15.4C, that's a 10 year record definitely.

Posted

Incredibly light snow blowing in the wind here, would easily pass "the lamp-post test" if it was dark biggrin.gif

Just a case now of radar watching, nowcasting and hoping that things don't get too adversely modified from the east (its a fine balance the next 24 hours or so). If the north-sea flow doesn't get too agressive then good chance we'll come out on the right side of things even in the short-term.

Edit: 1c/DP -4c at the airport. Good starting conditions if anything is going to come down the estuary towards us. Like I say, I don't want us to overcook it though and end up in mushy 3c/DP 1c land. No pain no gain though whistling.gif

Still in the cold part of east central, overnight minima was -8.9C, and currently it's -6.5C. It's hard to say whether we'll get another ice day or not but it looks a bit unlikely due to the showers to the southeast of us moving our way through today but moreso overnight. Any precipitation that falls here, I reckon, will be snow, as the furthest north the 528 thickness line gets is just south of Edinburgh. Mind you, that layer of medium-level cloud spoken about is almost sitting over us at the moment.

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Morning all.

Just dragged myself out of the scratcher to find it pelting down with snow here. About 2cm down already and -0.3 C after -8.3 last night.

The showers coming in from the NE are definitely snow inland.

Woo-hoodrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Similar to Fife here. -7.9C from a min of -8.3C. Light cloud but thicker to the SE over the North Sea. Perhaps a snow shower later?

The Aberfeldy weather site reported -17C last night and it is just above the valley floor where it may have been colder.

Some more pictures from that site attached.

http://www.aberfeldyweather.com/

Posted

First snow shower in Edinburgh just delivering a coating of castor sugar on any exposed tarmac/grass surfaces where I work (Fettes/Stockbridge part of town).

Edit: the kind that forms mini-drifts of a a few milimetres against pavement gutters. Intesnsely cold surface is going to hold onto pretty much anything that falls on it. A millimetre of snow here has whitened up the existing snow cover and glossed over previously cleared surfaces.

Slight in nature ... but beefs up now and again and visibility between here and Embra Castle has dropped markedly at a couple of points. Interesting Day 13 of the cold-spell coming up. Flirting with marginality here but what the hell !

Edit again: radar shows shower activity increasing from the SE as confirmed by the Lauder/borders reports ... but the existing stuff here (...and its still very slight) is moving more or less due-west along the Forth ... cant tell if its coming in from 80 degrees or 100 degrees orientation from the East. Wind direction could indeed be very crucial at least in this early stage.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Big temperature drop at Altnaharra. -2.6c at 5am and now at -14.7c.

This is a feature of this cold spell up there that I have never seen/noticed before. A lot of times somewhere like Altnaharra or Aviemore has been cloudy over night and then in the day the cloud has cleared, the sun has come out and the temperature has plummeted, almost as if the sun has no effect whatsoever up there! Does this happen in every frosty spell, is it because these places are shaded by hills? I really want the cloud to stay away just for one full 24hr period just to see how low it will go!