Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Posted

the meto has carmarthenshire under heavy snow ive yet to hear of heavy snow thats settled in Carms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Do you think we will see more snow tonight? the METO seem to think so.

No, I think the band will move further north, and the snow risk increases for north wales and northwest england, the north midlands at risk too. It looks wet again for wednesday. Thursday looks interesting, could see some snow pushing south.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

still snowing heavy here in Cwmbran, kids out sledging now

1.C

strong easterly - biting outside....roads now starting to get a bit tricky, side roads, some very treacherous

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

What depths have you south Waliens got, where it actually snowed. How heavy was it?

Not much

Posted

Strange how the met have upgraded the warning of severe weather in wales considering there first warning was ott the new warning is very OTT.Considering the front is moving away and nothing approaching from the swest.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Have had light snow, graupel and tiny ice pellets on and off all day here. Snow is now a bit heavier as the backedge of this front moves through. Hopefully see some heavier snow later. Another Ice day here, got to a max of -0.4C. Snow from before Christmas still hasn't gone and lots of ice around.

Posted

Strange how the met have upgraded the warning of severe weather in wales considering there first warning was ott the new warning is very OTT.

I think the Meto have performed very badly. There is a lot of snow on the Bwlch - but the snow level has not extended to any great extent to lower levels - yet the meto have issued new warning for the valleys. This is despite the front soon passing through. They also forecast on their morning forecast rain turning to snow over the Midlands and Gloucestershire - that has not happened. I don't think there is a chance that any of the warnings issued will come about. As said they are just covering their arses just in case.....

Posted

What depths have you south Waliens got, where it actually snowed. How heavy was it?

Despite a good 4-5 hours of snow, often heavy, the total depth is a few mm of slush on the grass. A total disaster this "event". Yet the Met Office still have warnings for up to 8 inches of snow for my town...

Posted

Not far off 4 inches here. Still snowing heavily!

Posted

In defence of the METO I've just driven through Gilfach, as stated the BIGGEST flakes I have seen in my life. And I've been skiing loads. Total whiteout and driving conditions reduced in moments. In central Pencoed rain, but just 1 mile north and it's two degrees colder and white.

Posted

I think the Meto have performed very badly. There is a lot of snow on the Bwlch - but the snow level has not extended to any great extent to lower levels - yet the meto have issued new warning for the valleys. This is despite the front soon passing through. They also forecast on their morning forecast rain turning to snow over the Midlands and Gloucestershire - that has not happened. I don't think there is a chance that any of the warnings issued will come about. As said they are just covering their arses just in case.....

I agree but why upgrade one failed warning to a severe warning i love to ask them.

It seems the front has pushed further north quicker than expected, and in a marginal situation we wanted it to stay south, as it is the the milder air is in sooner and further north.

Still belting down with sleet here. Lovely.

How are the roads up to Pen y Cae (Just North of Ystradgynlais) at the moment, relatives are meant to be going there this evening, and don't want to be stuck there.

Posted

snowing like mad here now,my grandfather who is 86 said he has not seen snow like this in years !!

Posted

Been chucketing it down here now for ages!!!

Good few inches everywhere so i think the meto have called this correct. Didnt they east wales was in the firing zone?

Lots more on the way going by the latest BBC forecast.

WW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Absolutely anything extreme or unusual

Heavy snow here now, at last, but very wet flakes and still 1.2c with dewpoint just above zero - not looking good despite latest updated warning.

Posted
<br />In defence of the METO I've just driven through Gilfach, as stated the BIGGEST flakes I have seen in my life. And I've been skiing loads. Total whiteout and driving conditions reduced in moments. In central Pencoed rain, but just 1 mile north and it's two degrees colder and white.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Large flakes = wet and sticky snow, each large flake really being a number of smaller flakes stuck together. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Things are going to steadily turn colder and the front is going to stall for hours,

thats why the warnings out,

where the front stalls and is snow, there could be many hours of snow.

Temperture rising here and snow has ceased and its raining!!! Temperture 0.9c was 0.2c when it was snowing. Slight covering very slushy very RUBBISH.

Posted

Things are going to steadily turn colder and the front is going to stall for hours,

thats why the warnings out,

where the front stalls and is snow, there could be many hours of snow.

Well its going north of carmarthenshire nowhere that i know has seen significant coverings of snow here jst a heavy bout of snow at half 2 now sleety rain, i doubt their warnings very much to be onest. this has been very localised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I think the front is due to stall a bit further north than expected. Alot of snow will fall over the Snowdonia area.