Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Good grief, what a bunch if whingers in this thread!!! (Proper) Snow was always likely to be limited away from the higher parts of the midlands at this stage....

Evening Paul. Quite true, but I think its the "at this stage bit" that worries us.... the next stage we fear is maybe rain & not snow. :):)

As yet the current NW alert isnt clear on the next stage...

....parts of the Midlands, especially the west and by evening into parts of the North West Midlands edging into the higher areas of Greater Manchester along with the Peak District and parts of north Wales.

In all the areas mentioned snow is most likely above about 250-300ft although wet snow may lie at times lower down.....

Edited by kar999

Posted

Temp 2.1c and dewpoint 0.6c. Temp has been falling very slowly from a high of 2.7c at 14:15. Dewpoint has been fluctuating all afternoon between 0.3c and 0.6c.

Wind has increased in the last couple of hours and is now moderate and from the east.

I think this has been a slow build up during the day and all the ingredients now falling into place. Expect the front to stall soon and those under ppn could do very well as the front will pep up from time to time. I expect mostly snow for our region later this evening.

Do you use pitsford weather station mate? dunno what wrong with that station at times showing temp and dp the samehuh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

I have snow here now, ground very wet following rain but hoping as it appears the front wants to stick around for a while that it will begin to settle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I hope this stalls very soon otherwise we will just miss out!

Posted

temps need to get to around 1.5c that will then put dewpoints below freezing, which should make the difference between rain/sleet and snow. :)

It best not do! doubt it would tho.

Where about's in Hinckley do you live , I'm gonna be in town near the library which is quite high up .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

I've had a drop in temp to 1.1 as well - the dewpoint has just hit the magical 0.0 - still rain at the moment though, not a flake yet but soon maybe!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Do you use pitsford weather station mate? dunno what wrong with that station at times showing temp and dp the samehuh.gif

I use my own weather station. Temp now 1.9c and dewpoint 0.4c now moving in the right direction due I think to the ppn becoming heavier in the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Temperature now dropped to 1.5c but it is still pure rain. Even if it does snow the chances of it settling are between nil and zero.

Posted

I've had a drop in temp to 1.1 as well - the dewpoint has just hit the magical 0.0 - still rain at the moment though, not a flake yet but soon maybe!

Is that you on your picture ? You look like a Joe I know in Leic lol.

I think another hour and we will all be celebrating hun ..

Posted

I use my own weather station. Temp now 1.9c and dewpoint 0.4c now moving in the right direction due I think to the ppn becoming heavier in the last hour.

Thanks for that.

Posted

Where about's in Hinckley do you live , I'm gonna be in town near the library which is quite high up .

Near the town center. What is the asl for here? I think i remembered around 100m from my school days dunno if thats true or not though??

Posted

Sleeting now - again.

Temp has dropped to +1.6°C rate -0.5°C/hr DP +0.8°C again dropping at 0.4°C/hr

Plenty of time yet.

Posted

Right, we have SNOW. Small flakes, very wet, but it's a start at least. The only problem now is that the ground is absolutely drenched.

Posted

Its now snowing here.

Posted

Right, we have SNOW. Small flakes, very wet, but it's a start at least. The only problem now is that the ground is absolutely drenched.

Surely if temperatures continue to drop this shouldn't be a problem, depends how far they drop I suppose

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

It's trying so hard now to snow in south brum, and I'm willing it to every step of the way!! I think that if I were driving right now that it would be pretty nasty out there. I am tentatively hopeful for tonight.

Posted

Some very poor posts on here, how much attention have many of you paid to the forecasts before putting you're moaning heads on. Did you just hear the word snow and then switch off to the where, how much, how marginal for some areas, when it might arrive etc etc. Its funny we have had no snow here so far, but that is exactly what I expected because I paid attention to the BBC forecasts and paid attention to the graphics. It has always been apparent that daytime snowfall was most likely in Wales and that some areas mostly the higher ground will see snow tonight, if you live in the midlands at low levels it will remain marginal, some will see some but many wont. It would really help if attention was paid to what was actually shown and said, rather than what you hope will happen. Given the strength of the wind here at the moment, (you can really hear the gusts despite the double glazing) its likely that if we do see much snow later tonight it could drift quite substantially.

Good post... thanks

as I said earlier...

Here you go.... downgraded last night and it's more or less bang on so far with a none event always on the cards for us Midlanders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pl76h/BBC_Weather_28_12_2009/

Posted

That came quick didn't it Nick?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Dont worry the moderate to heavy snow that should be on the way will settle on wet ground quite quickly once it gets below 1c- seen it so many times!

Posted

That came quick didn't it Nick?

Yeah, but the next problem is that it is so light. Not even the hills will get more than a cm or 2 out of this, even if it snows at this intensity all night. Unless it peps up a bit then the "foot of snow in Wales" talk will be laughable by the morning!