Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

I hope for at least some snow tonight and tomorrow. Still snow on the ground from last nights showers be it not that much.

Advisory

Issued 20:00 01/01/2010

Valid 01:00 02/01/2010

Possible heavy snow showers tonight and tomorrow giving falls of up to 3 cm and up to 5 cm locally. Which may cause temporary travel disruption especially on minor roads and high level routes.

Severe Weather Warning

Valid From 18:00 01/01/2010

Until 11:00 02/01/2010

Ice and frost will become a problem to travel networks this evening and overnight with black ice likely following snow showers overnight.

You are advised to take care on untreated roads and to allow extra time for your journey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Currently -4.3C now, so the drop is slowing.

Suppose I might have a slight chance of some of the white stuff Sunday. I'm technically in the south east, but to far from the coast to benefit from progged easterly.

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Just had a look at the faxes, certainly tommorow has a couple of showery systems moving south through Ireland....Monday is a stonker for fronts, Warm front, with cold front catching up, an occluded forming. Trouble is being an occluded front means mixed uppers, so again (depending on the amount of mild mix) could be another local snow event or Nowcast snow event. Thereafter it looks like HP building over or near the UK leaving us in -10c uppers for a good 5 days, it WILL be absolutely freezing everywhere. Expect a couple of Ice days next week...pretty much in most places.

Posted

-5.5C currently, with a fairly thick mist about. Temperature has been holding steady for a while though, so there might not be any new records tonight.

The GFS 18z has upped the snow potential over the next week for here, which is a nice surprise.

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

1978/79 deja vue! Arrived back from England 1st Jan, all city buses and trains off due to a fairly light fall of snow, had to walk 5 miles home. 31 years later, everything has advanced so much in our ultra modern society, right?

All buses off from about 5pm, I arrived back from west Cork at 6.30 on the train, all roads still covered from a fairly light fall of snow nearly 24 hours ago. Walked about 5 miles home because 1. I like snow, and 2. I don't like spending fortunes on taxis!

This is becoming an amazing spell of weather. Was in Castletownbere, had a storm with easterly strong gales (storm force on the 30th) and heavy rain that lasted 3 nights. Ice and snow lasted today on the shorelines of the Beara peninsula. Snow-covered mountains look fantastic

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Clear and very cold, current temp is -3.6c

Posted

Met Eireann are predicting that a band of precipitation will whisk the south coast on Sunday. I wonder if there is any chance that this cloud could move more northerly than they currently think and dollup Dublin with lots of snow!! :(

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

well if any of you have noticed I am in coleraine and am 100 m up the nearest station is ballykelly which is 15 miles away and am higher up. Earlier out in the car temp was -2 c at 2p

Joe no insult intended mate, just that your readings seem slightly on the low side. Dont let this put you off posting your reports which i thoroughly enjoy. What a cold spell we are experiencing! I know that your part of the world (and even more so in Ballymena about 20 miles to your south), can experience fantastic snowfalls when the rest of NI has nothing :(

Edited by mac_

Posted

Heavy rain/sleet freezing instantly as it hits the ground here. Not good!

GFS still showing potential for Monday night/Tues morning though this is being downplayed by both METO and Met Eireanne.

post-10825-12624207154813_thumb.png

post-10825-12624207275313_thumb.png

Posted

Snowing heavy here now any bare patchs are being covered as I type the remaining snow will get a bit of a top up

Ok shower is now over - is tht it for today?

Opps snowing again even heavier this time

Now that is "Nowcasting" at it's very finest best!

:D

Posted

Now that is "Nowcasting" at it's very finest best!

clap.gif

Thanks its one of my Newyears resolutions to be better at itrofl.gif

Seriously Snowforme I thought Cookstown would have got the snow as well - ah well take a wee drive up to Pomeroy we have plenty left for youdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

outside temp -0.2c very cold and frosty. overnight low of -7.1c. a lot more cloud around today with shower activity pushing down from my north west. :cold:

Posted

-6.5C overnight and now it's -3.3C with everything coated in white. Would be nice just to get even 1 or 2 light snow showers to give a bit of a covering as it would probably last over the next week or so.

Posted

very ice here in Antrim. layer of ice covering almost everything. attempted to go to shops but hard time getting out of street. Car no good in the ice. its mad.

Posted

Has been raining all morning here in Derry. Almost all the snow has now melted except on the hills. I see metcheck have an early warning out for a sever spell of snow and cold next week and they are saying that temps could get down to -20 in some areas. Don't know about us here but you never know. :D

Posted

Dublin ensemble showing unbelievable cold for the next week, with a return of milder conditions later. Worryingly dry though!

post-10825-12624382774913_thumb.png

Posted

Now up to 0.3C here so no ice day. Still blue skies with just a slight breeze and the frost slowly melting in the sun.