Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Methuselah

Posted

The weather in Epping in West Essex. Barometer 999.4mb and Steady. Temperature 2.9°C, dew point -2.0°C, humidity 70% . The wind is from the NNE at 11.0mph

Dew points really dropped off in the past 4 hours.

Posted

Cloud cover here is finally starting to thin after 72hrs of very cloudy conditions, I'd imagine whether or not my location gets below 0C will depend a lot on the exacts of the cloud cover over here, the north sea will hold temps up a little bit I'd have thought at least till for tonight as the colder air carries on digging down.

Posted

Looking at the direction them showers are headed I don't feel too optimistic about East Kent getting any... I feel it will be a repeat of the pre christmas event :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Just had a 5 minute snow shower in Buntingford. :drinks:

Posted

Looking at the direction them showers are headed I don't feel too optimistic about East Kent getting any... I feel it will be a repeat of the pre christmas event :drinks:

Am I likely to get any in East Berkshire? I'm not expecting any...

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Looking at the direction them showers are headed I don't feel too optimistic about East Kent getting any... I feel it will be a repeat of the pre christmas event sad.gif

Bearing in mind I am further west than you, I am certainly also less optimstic than I was earlier about some snow tonight and at first tomorrow. It looked promising for a wider area last night and at first this morning but, as you say, it does look a bit like the pre xmas event. Once again, the wind is not going to stay north easterly long enough for when the properly cold air arrives.

Looking like we wait for next week now.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

I think by 9pm we will have a better idea as to the events leading into NYD. Already we have seen sleet and wet snow here in N Kent this afternoon. Its all about the radar now and I still am cautiously optimistic of seeing some falling, settling snow here by the end of the night.

Anyone would think the cold spell was just about to endwhistling.gif

Next week is when the real fun starts.

Happy New Year to everybody.drinks.gif

James

Posted

Temp starting to fall quickly now from 3.4c to 2.0c in just under a hour, hopefully it will continue that way coupled with a few showers and you never know!

I think by 9pm we will have a better idea as to the events leading into NYD. Already we have seen sleet and wet snow here in N Kent this afternoon. Its all about the radar now and I still am cautiously optimistic of seeing some falling, settling snow here by the end of the night.

Anyone would think the cold spell was just about to endwhistling.gif

Happy New Year to everybody.drinks.gif

James

Yes and Yes to those highlighted lines.

And a Happy New Year to all from me too!drinks.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

It was supposed to start when this low pressure pulled away and dragged in cold north east winds with snow , we keep doing this EVERY time there is a cold/snow spell... Tomorrow looks great! ,this weekend looks good , next week looks great . I'll stick to a day to day basis :drinks:

Posted

Moderate snow shower here everything white now!!! Just proves cold air is here. Showers are filtering inland. :wacko:

Nice :drinks:

Posted

It was supposed to start when this low pressure pulled away and dragged in cold north east winds with snow , we keep doing this EVERY time there is a cold/snow spell... Tomorrow looks great! ,this weekend looks good , next week looks great . I'll stick to a day to day basis crazy.gif

The first post that I have ever read on here that I'm in total agreement with.

Posted

It was supposed to start when this low pressure pulled away and dragged in cold north east winds with snow , we keep doing this EVERY time there is a cold/snow spell... Tomorrow looks great! ,this weekend looks good , next week looks great . I'll stick to a day to day basis crazy.gif

To be honest Neil thats probably the best attitude to have. Snow events have been known to crop up regularly within 24 hour time frame down here in Kent and it wont be any different during this spell.

Hell, the cold air isn't even here yet. Like I said wait until around 9pm before getting too disappointed. Having lived in N Kent for over 20 years, local knowledge counts for a fair bit.

I think it was 2005 when we had the run of very cold E-NE winds at the end of Feb begining of March. Nothing was forecast and a swathe from the Eastern end of the Isle of Sheppey right through Faversham and south had around 6 inches of powder (I think Whitstable and Herne Bay were hit badly too) and here in Iwade we didn't get a flake. As ever it depends on where the streamers take hold and at the moment the wind direction is perfect for N and Mid Kent (Swale and Medway) at least until midnight to 3am when the zone will then move to the Eastern part of the county esp around Thanet and down to Deal, Dover and Folkestone.

Keep the faith guys

James

Posted

I remember 2005 ^ , that was a fantastic snow spell for us atleast hehe

Lots of sleet showers coming in now

15p1t8j.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Weather here is still cold, grey with drizzle in the air. The sun did make a fleeting appearance at about 13.oo hours.Temperature according to car thermometer 3C from a high of 4C this morning.

The cold weather is on its way and hopefully with it some snow in the coming week.

If Kold Weather can continue to update us for weather conditions in his locale it would be great on two counts. Firstly it will inform us of anyThames Streamer/ Kent Streamer that might develop and just creep across the Thames into Essex and secondly from a selfish point of view as to whether I will need to travel down to Thurrock on Saturday afternoon to see the mighty Chelmsford City take on The Rocks in the Blue Square South or whether it will snowed/frozen off (the game that is!!)pardon.gif

Enjoy the imminent cold spell

Dave

Posted

in my lifes experiance there are 2 ways that it can snow ,when your stuck in a class room or when your asleep lol

Current data for 31 December 2009 15:43:20 ,Temperature (°C): , Current 3.0 , Trend (per hour) -0.4 Average today 3.1 Wind chill 1.4 Heat Index 3.0 Dew Point -0.3 Rel Humidity 79% Wind(mph): CurrentGust 12.1 NW Average Speed 3.8 NNW Pressure (mb):Current 1000.3 Trend (per hour) +0.1

Posted

How odd. The met office have removed all their severe weather warnings since this morning for most of the UK for today and tomorrow. No show for the snow then?

They seem to be confident about snowfall. There could be surprise streamers cropping up, and the MetO will update their warnings accordingly. As 'HAMMER' pointed out, the MetO only issued Advisory Updates this time around.

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Will these showers filtering over the next few hours have any thundersnow with them like the pre-xmas event ??

As much as i love snow, blizzards and general cold weather, i don't really fancy having thundersnow again. yes it brought lots of snow and we had total

white out within 10 mins max. But it also cost me alot after my poor car got struck by lightning frazzling my alternator, battery, and all the bits in

between !!!

Posted

How odd. The met office have removed all their severe weather warnings since this morning for most of the UK for today and tomorrow. No show for the snow then?

They were advisories. Based on moderate not high confidence. So not odd at all, happens quite often. Sadly people don't read the concept of when advisories are issued.

Just had a light sprinkling here - but it was still rain. Looks like the colder less marginal air is going to arrive in the next few hours though

Posted

Looking at the direction them showers are headed I don't feel too optimistic about East Kent getting any... I feel it will be a repeat of the pre christmas event :)

Just had a look at the radar, and those showers are gearing up from the North Sea