Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Methuselah

Posted

according to my station (if its correct) it is still 3.9c outside unknw.gif

And still showing +4.7c on mine ... the cold air must be knocking on our front door by now ... if not then it cant be that far away ... can it ???

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Hate the fact that the showers have real difficulty developing here :rofl::rofl::drunk:

28t96wj.jpg

Posted

Gone really cold here and the PPN is just about on me DA9 for the radar, so hope to see something shortly

Posted

Illness put paid to my new year celebrations so its radar watch for! :rofl: Moderate to heavy snow at the minute....nice covering over most surfaces. Looks like a streamer setting itself right over the East Suffolk and Essex coast.

Posted

It appears to fizzle out just as it gets to me, hope the PPN can pep up a bit

Posted

Temperatures here around 0C, I would expect the South East to reach 0C by midnight at the latest

It better start dropping quick in that case as its still sitting at +4.7c

Posted

It better start dropping quick in that case as its still sitting at +4.7c

Hi, I am surprised it is so warm where you are. Even down here on the South coast it has slowly crept down to 2.7C. Is that still cold enough for snow? If anything reaches this far that is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

looking good here in Bowthorpe west of Norwich..cars all white with dusting of snow!!!

Posted

been snowing moderately for about 25 minutes now, settling on all surfaces except for wet road and pavements. A little more cold and that will let it settle everywhere.

Dew point still at 0.3c, not changed for about 2 hours now.

Edited by Nick.F

Posted

Hi, I am surprised it is so warm where you are. Even down here on the South coast it has slowly crept down to 2.7C. Is that still cold enough for snow? If anything reaches this far that is!

Well it depends on the dew points. Using a online calculator, I worked out your dew point is just under 1C, the maximum dew points for snow are usually around 2C, so yes it is cold enough for snow

Posted

Just started snowing here in Heybridge, Essex.

Fairly moderate at the moment but not sticking as the ground is very wet from all the rain! If it gets heavier it should start to stick though.

Matt.

Posted

I know, i even put a good old fashioned mercury thermometer out incase it was my weather station playing up as I know half the batteries in the sensors are going flat but the merc states just below 5c too ;o(

Posted

looking good here in Bowthorpe west of Norwich..cars all white with dusting of snow!!!

Welcome to the forum Slater! :drinks:

It certainly looks like a very cold outlook, and the potential for significant snow next week :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

lets hope for a flurry of snow at midnight!! whats the chance for the city of Norwich???

Welcome to the forum Slater! drinks.gif

It certainly looks like a very cold outlook, and the potential for significant snow next week smile.gif

cheers mate..was hoping for it this week as of work for the hols..

Posted

Well it depends on the dew points. Using a online calculator, I worked out your dew point is just under 1C, the maximum dew points for snow are usually around 2C, so yes it is cold enough for snow

Thanks a lot for the answer Snowman! Lets hope the weather lives up to your name. Now I only have to hold my breath and hope it reaches this far. I was even lampost watching from the bus on the way home from Portsmouth earlier, even though I was sure it was too warm then. Looks like another sleepless night.:drinks:

Posted

lets hope for a flurry of snow at midnight!! whats the chance for the city of Norwich???

cheers mate..was hoping for it this week as of work for the hols..

I see! Well it depends on shower activity and convection in the North Sea, which brews up the showers. If it comes at the right time then you have a good chance. I think it is more likely to snow at midnight than now in Norwich, and heres a online radar to keep track on shower activity in the North Sea and into East Anglia

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I was just trying to get a pic of the moon when it clouded over, but if there's snow in them clouds they are forgiven!

post-642-12622965924113_thumb.jpg

Posted

By the way if anyone wants to work out their dewpoint from just a temperature and humidity heres the link:

http://www.decatur.de/javascript/dew/index.html

Every little helps :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

I was just trying to get a pic of the moon when it clouded over, but if there's snow in them clouds they are forgiven!

the best photographs of the moon are when the clouds are about... and you just done one yahoo.gif

excellent photo... may you take more in 2010 rain/clear/snow or hype.. enjoy

Happy New Year to you (-:

shadowcat runs for cover...never to return here till it snows under a lamp post in Herts 2010!

Edited by shadowcat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

the best photographs of the moon are when the clouds are about... and you just done one yahoo.gif

excellent photo... may you take more in 2010 rain/clear/snow or hype.. enjoy

Happy New Year to you (-:

shadowcat runs for cover...never to be again again till it snows under a lamp post in Herts!

Aw thanks, I needed a bit more time to fiddle with settings really. Moon just popped out again, but a very rapidly approaching cloud with flakes falling from it covered it up. Full blue moon and snow and NYE! So cool!