Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

ditto that here too John,

Keeping an eye on the small circulation off the NE corner coast but the trough will likely petre out before reaching SY?

its something I'm keeping an eye on.

As the daytime 'heating' develops inland, coupled with this small trough, moving south, giving a fair amount of snow over parts of NE England, the combination of the two MAY trigger isolated possibly scattered snow showers well inland. This area MIGHT just get lucky.

by the way shower frequency is

isolated

scattered

frequent

in terms of how many.

Posted

morning all, a very happy new year to everyone, hope you all had a great night, we had a light snow shower about 8pm yesterday, now a bit frosty but now we have a bit of cloud cover. here is hoping for a bit of snow over the next few days.

Posted

its something I'm keeping an eye on.

As the daytime 'heating' develops inland, coupled with this small trough, moving south, giving a fair amount of snow over parts of NE England, the combination of the two MAY trigger isolated possibly scattered snow showers well inland. This area MIGHT just get lucky.

by the way shower frequency is

isolated

scattered

frequent

in terms of how many.

Morning John,

Great post, couldn't agree anymore with you. Even last night when the showers started to into the region, with no solar input i had a thunderstorm, with hail and big flakes thrown in, with the back edge fully of moderate snow. The dews was at -6! They was minimum surface based cape and upper level last night, but it still developed a little storm.

What's your thoughts on today convective potential? If i'm right, the embedded trough is rather disturbed?

Lewis

Posted

as per my post earlier and the Met O idea of the heavier showers being in the areas they mention.

watch the radar and the sat piccs and if you understand pressure falls watch the surface charts to see how the small variations may help or hinder the formation of very minor troughs that can enhance shower activity, falling pressure means rising air=clouds forming etc etc.

this link

http://www.weatherwe...ions/3huka3.gif

for a UK chart every 3 hours, when it works

or this one every hour from Meteociel

http://meteocentre.c...〈=en&map=UK

One of the things that I MAY do at some point in the future, after discussions with Paul, is a simple easy to follow guide, video type, first on following GFS charts and forecasting for your own area from them, and then how to understand the 'coded' plots on the two surface charts I've linked to and draw or analyse the charts for an idea, along with the radar and sat piccs of what the weather is likely to do over the next 1 to 12 hours.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Happy NewYear everyone.

On / off light snow showers here in Pudsey as wind swings round to the NNW.

Temp -1.3c and still a dusting from last night which added to the 16th consecutiveday with snow albeit some laying on the ground.

Here's wishing for a great winter continuing

Posted

Happy New Year everyone :drinks:

Just popped in to report the snow that we have/had here.

Had a couple of snow showers, overnight, which left around 2cms. Also, it's been snowing for the past hour, adding a further 1cm.

Looking at the radar, it would appear that there's plenty more on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

One of the things that I MAY do at some point in the future, after discussions with Paul, is a simple easy to follow guide, video type, first on following GFS charts and forecasting for your own area from them, and then how to understand the 'coded' plots on the two surface charts I've linked to and draw or analyse the charts for an idea, along with the radar and sat piccs of what the weather is likely to do over the next 1 to 12 hours.

Sounds just what we want!

Immediate to very short term finer detail is something i always struggle to find accurate info on so coupled with mentioned radar input should be ideal in these rare times?

If the logistics dont prove to be too much of an effort or require too much time involved then i`m sure all of us would be delighted Mr Holmes :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

as per my post earlier and the Met O idea of the heavier showers being in the areas they mention.

watch the radar and the sat piccs and if you understand pressure falls watch the surface charts to see how the small variations may help or hinder the formation of very minor troughs that can enhance shower activity, falling pressure means rising air=clouds forming etc etc.

this link

A beefy shower has just formed in the flow and is passing through Huddersfield now.Intersting to see if the snow up north sinks.As you say interesting times ahead, and a headache for the forecastersbiggrin.gif

Posted

this link

Cheers mate, brilliant post.

Just had a walk to the shops, and its bitter outside yet the temp is 1c. In the distance i can see the showers forming, a huge base to the cloud with a lovely grey colour to them in the sun.

Looks like the trough is slow moving, which is good if you want more snowfall, but bad if your further south, all it takes is a slight change of flow, and they miss you.

Lewis

Posted

I have to admit, i expected too see more showery activity in this part of the UK but as ever in these set ups it is radar watching.

Saturday and perhaps next week looks promising for Yorkshire and Lincolnshire so there is still hope. :cold:

Posted

I have to admit, i expected too see more showery activity in this part of the UK but as ever in these set ups it is radar watching.

Saturday and perhaps next week looks promising for Yorkshire and Lincolnshire so there is still hope. :cold:

Yep looks promising don't it mate, metoffice updated warnings for our region for today, tonight, and tomorrow for heavy snow :o

and here is the one for Tuesday :o

Risk of disruption Warning Valid

Yorkshire & Humber:

E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

N Yorkshire

NE Lincolnshire

S Yorkshire

W Yorkshire

York

Heavy Snow Tue 5 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Scotland, northern England and eastern England during Tuesday.

Snow showers are likely to become heavy and frequent at times giving further falls of several cm in many areas, with the potential for over 20cm locally.

Issued at: 1032 Fri 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Snowing when I went 'first footing' and it's stayed. A couple of showers this a.m. and a little wonder about that blob slipping down from geordie land?

A splendid 2010 to yer all!!!drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Good morning all - and a happy 2010 to you all.

Very light dusting here this morning, not much, but probably better than I was expecting given the distribution of shower activity yesterday. Hopefully a bit more expected throughout the day for this location, though I think next week could be a lot more interesting.

Posted

well woke up to proper hard frost! temp is struggling to get to 1c.

Happy new year to everyone and happy for the people who got those snow showers!

Just missed here by like 5miles but looking forward to todays potential!

What suprised me is how potent the showers were last night!

Hows things looking with the trough?

Posted

Very heavy snow showers in Scarborough atm - massive flakes + settling (about 1cm). The amount of snow that has fallen over the last hour would have probably given between 5 and 10cm were it not above freezing + melting as it settles!

Posted

Was in Holmfirth Tuesday night staying at the Huntsman Inn on the A635.

Now if you want to see snow and a wild snowbound / foggy road thats the place to be.

Must have put a foot of the white stuff down that night.

Anybody know the elevation up there b4 I OS MAP it ??

cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Slow temp rise this morning (unsurprisingly!), has now struggled up to 0.9°C with a DP of -1.7°C. Min last night was -2.4°C at 08:37 this morning. Has now clouded over from the north, with the wind currently NW. This I presume is the local circulation from that feature off the Northumbrian coast.

We may get a bit of snow shortly but looking at the radar that feature I mentioned appears to be moving inland and most of the shower activity appears to be on its western and northern flanks. Oh well, we shall see: certainly is bitter outside now.

Happy New Year to eveyone who missed my last post last year - it was the only one after the thread was announced as closingwacko.gif

Posted

Was in Holmfirth Tuesday night staying at the Huntsman Inn on the A635.

Now if you want to see snow and a wild snowbound / foggy road thats the place to be.

Must have put a foot of the white stuff down that night.

Anybody know the elevation up there b4 I OS MAP it ??

cheers

Elevation: 153 meters (502 feet)

Lewis

Posted

Yes, looks like we are on the cusp of getting some of the white stuff.

I've noted that we haven't had as many showers as I was expecting however I wasn't expecting a westerley breeze, which can't be aiding showers to reach further inland.

gobby

Posted

Slow temp rise this morning (unsurprisingly!), has now struggled up to 0.9°C with a DP of -1.7°C. Min last night was -2.4°C at 08:37 this morning. Has now clouded over from the north, with the wind currently NW. This I presume is the local circulation from that feature off the Northumbrian coast.

We may get a bit of snow shortly but looking at the radar that feature I mentioned appears to be moving inland and most of the shower activity appears to be on its western and northern flanks. Oh well, we shall see: certainly is bitter outside now.

Happy New Year to eveyone who missed my last post last year - it was the only one after the thread was announced as closingwacko.gif

Should be snowing for you now? black to my North

happy new year to you too :)

lewis

Yes, looks like we are on the cusp of getting some of the white stuff.

I've noted that we haven't had as many showers as I was expecting however I wasn't expecting a westerley breeze, which can't be aiding showers to reach further inland.

gobby

I have the same, WSW wind mate. But not making much difference tbh, the trough has its set path.

I'm a little worried here, temp is now 1.6c with a dew of -0.1

Could be marginal..

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Yep Lewis, i must say its nice too see the Met Office having an adversary out even at this range. I do think that north easterly will occur but how long will last is not certain and troughs and snow amounts etc.

All very exciting though. :D