Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

A smattering of flaked here too.

I hope the much hyped 50 foot snowfall happens this week now as i've told the kids and they are all excited :yahoo:

Okay, maybe not 50 foot but reading the model threads you'd think that was what was being forecast.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Good morning all , how's it looking for us so far?

Frost melting at the moment

Posted

I hope the much hyped 50 foot snowfall happens this week now as i've told the kids and they are all excited :yahoo:

Okay, maybe not 50 foot but reading the model threads you'd think that was what was being forecast.

Keep an eye on the ppn band to the NW - Cheshire Gap as this band is heading in the direction of London. I've seen this before where at one point the ppn looked like petering out only to intensify and move in a SE flow.

Posted

Should be interesting to see what people are wearing next week as the progged cold temps haven't been seen in this country for 30 years - that should bring some stuff out from the very back of the wardrobe!!

:yahoo:

Posted

Should be interesting to see what people are wearing next week as the progged cold temps haven't been seen in this country for 30 years - that should bring some stuff out from the very back of the wardrobe!!

:wallbash:

Funny you should mention that as my wife has ordered me to buy new wellies for my son today. Everyone else has their wellies and warming clothing/coats ready for the onslaught.

Posted

Latest reports at Charlwood suggest it's -0.3c but would I be right in thinking we haven't seen the coldest temps yet?

Also bewildered why commercial forecasts seem to be talking about cold and dry conditions when on the model thread, they are ramping up snow levels!

Posted

Very good Model Agreement this morning and great Outlook from the Met Office!

So starting today an area of Snow later this evening and early hours of Sunday kicks things off for a very wintry week for all of the Uk, Snow clearing the South Coast during sunday then a few wintry showers with hard penetrating frosts Sunday and Monday night, this will easily keep the Snow Cover of 2-5cm before the real deal comes along from Tues to Friday where a Keen North Easterly then backing Easterly Sets in, the 2nd part of that looks very Interesting as the Models are showing the near Continent absolutely freezing by that point and with the North Sea still relatively above average expect some fantastic Convection with Thundersnow from Wed-Fri in the South East.

Watch for the Tuesday Advisory Map to include all of the South East from Tomorrow (Pm) and also I'd expect an advisory for tonights Snow by this afternoon latest.

Paul S

Posted

Latest reports at Charlwood suggest it's -0.3c but would I be right in thinking we haven't seen the coldest temps yet?

Also bewildered why commercial forecasts seem to be talking about cold and dry conditions when on the model thread, they are ramping up snow levels!

Temps will continue to fall over next few days.

As for snow. Actually if you look at regional forecast on Met Office site it is talking of snow.

TV forecasts tend to avoid looking to many days ahead. Also they can be prone to avoid talking of exact position of snow until it's almost happening. Due to frequency on say News24 it can almost be a nowcast.

Posted

, the 2nd part of that looks very Interesting as the Models are showing the near Continent absolutely freezing by that point and with the North Sea still relatively above average expect some fantastic Convection with Thundersnow from Wed-Fri in the South East.

Paul S

What a ramper you are. Never catch me ramping. :wallbash:

Have you seen the regional 3-5 day forecast? Heavy prolonged snowfalls!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Well, well, well haven't been around much lately, been with the fam for Xmas and New Years, but what a great welcome back! We have a sprinkling of snow in Ipswich (and treacherous Ice already; my Dad skidded in his van today narrowly avoiding collision with a bus) but what a snow-filled and cold week it is set to be for vast parts of the country - esepcially EA and Se. I will treat tonight as a little taster, and eagerly await Tuesday onwards. All looking very good indeed !

Posted

What a ramper you are. Never catch me ramping. :cray:

meto saying we could get a few cm of light snow tommorrow! then prolonged and heavy snow by tues/wed how come they havent at least put an warning of what could happen next week! councils in this area should be prepairing them selves for servere weather!

Posted

What a ramper you are. Never catch me ramping. :doh:

LOL Dave

You have to Ramp this one Up!

We might not see these type of 1980's Charts again for a few years Mate.

Your location could see 20-30cm of level Snow by the end of the week!

How's that for a RAMP :cray:

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

i take it all this ramping is for the whole of the SE - except where I live... we always seem to miss out (except yesterday we had a bit)

what do we need in rural ct18 120asl to get some significant falls? - other than upping house and moving to north kent!

Posted

I've had a quick read through some of the posts this morning, I especially liked Teits one about a "New Ice Age" on the way, also the "50 feet of snow" was a cracker. So with this in mind would you advice me to have winter tyres fitted to our delivery vans, or snow chains fitted. We have had some snow here in Lowestoft this morning and so far our drivers seem to be coping alright, but with this once in a lifetime extreme weather event on the way I'm beginning to think we might need to take drastic action.

Posted

I think you should be okay Diane, but remember dont leave your thermal underwear on the line as it may get frozen with the frost. Also BBQ'ing on the beach is not advised once the easterly sets in from Midweek onwards due to the hazards of Sand getting onto your ribs :rolleyes:

BTW What temperature you got there today, if it's above 25c I might come up for the weekend and take a Sail Boat out on Oulton Broad.

Paul S

Posted

meto saying we could get a few cm of light snow tommorrow! then prolonged and heavy snow by tues/wed how come they havent at least put an warning of what could happen next week! councils in this area should be prepairing them selves for servere weather!

Have a look at this link by PS regarding MetO warnings Don't forget to add your location in the profile section.

I hope the much hyped 50 foot snowfall happens this week now as i've told the kids and they are all excited :)

Very exciting times ahead. Here's the MetO updates: :rolleyes::):):cold::cold::cold:

Headline: Day 1 to 2

Isolated wintry showers today. Snow showers arriving later tonight.

Today:

Mainly dry with bright or sunny spells, although a few light wintry showers are possible. Any showers will be of snow early and late today, but may fall as sleet around the middle of the day. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Tonight:

Starting mostly dry and clear, allowing temperatures to quickly fall. However overnight cloud will increase, bringing snow showers later. The showers will produce a slight covering of snow. Minimum temperature -3 °C.

Sunday:

Cloudy with showers or longer spells of snow. The snow will be mostly light, but still could produce a few centimetres. Later in the afternoon becoming dry with clear spells. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Updated: 0250 on Sat 2 Jan 2010

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

The very cold weather will continue. A few light snow showers may arrive on Monday, but prolonged periods of snow are likely during Tuesday and Wednesday, turning heavy at times.

Updated: 0250 on Sat 2 Jan 2010

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Morning Folks

Just noticed that snow has fallen here in SW France, only a dusting, but that was a suprise, wondering were I will hit the snow when driving up through France to London tomorrow..

Cheers

FC

Posted

The lightest of dustings in High Wycombe - you can see the individual flakes on top of the frost!

Hoping for a bit more tonight smile.gif

Posted

I think you should be okay Diane, but remember dont leave your thermal underwear on the line as it may get frozen with the frost. Also BBQ'ing on the beach is not advised once the easterly sets in from Midweek onwards due to the hazards of Sand getting onto your ribs whistling.gif

BTW What temperature you got there today, if it's above 25c I might come up for the weekend and take a Sail Boat out on Oulton Broad.

Paul S

Love to see you up here, my husband has a boat moored at Oulton Broad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

whats the odds that any of us will sleep in the next week????

Posted

Met O have put out another warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_warnings.html

However this is still only for Cambs, Peterborough, Norfolk. I actually find this a little odd that other areas aren't included.

Posted

whats the odds that any of us will sleep in the next week????

may have to wait till feb for some sleep

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/6921281/Britain-facing-one-of-the-coldest-winters-in-100-years-experts-predict.html

however latest GFS showing more ppcn for westen areas as fronts move north to south, ppcn fizzling outh in the se. the eastly developing later maybe thurday,friday, but thats into fi imo. have to look at the next FAX and radar to see ppcn in next 24/48 hours.