Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Posted

Latest MetO warnings up to Wednesday have nothing for this region with the exception of N East Anglia. Very disappointing

Posted

Some very interesting output today, plenty of things to watch though still a lot of uncertainty about the actual flow and how it evolves.

Regardless of that I'd expect ice days everywhere by Thursday, even in the heart of London.

Also whilst a very long time away the models are rather suggestive of a low coming in fro mthe east around the 10th, the ECM is quite exceptional yet again as well.

Posted

Another cold, beautiful morning here in West Cambridgeshire. Starting to cloud over and, looking at the radar, there's a strong band of showers heading south-east from the north-west, though the Midlands, and heading straight for me. For once, they don't look like they're dying out as they get closer. The band should reach me within the hour, by the look of it. Fingers' crossed!!

In the Midlands thread, they're reporting snow in Leicester and Nottingham, so looking good.

Edited by icy toes

Posted

Love to see you up here, my husband has a boat moored at Oulton Broad.

Lovely Place in the Summer - My Parents have their Boat moored at Wroxham on the River Bure and when I take the kids up for a week in July we come down across the Breydon Water and then down the Waverley to Oulton Broad, great picture Op's esp the Windmills with the Summer Storms and the Snow in the Winter.

A few Charts from the 06z GFS Which keeps it Cold all the way through the run, looking like an incredible CET For the 1st half of January coming up and one we have not seen for nearly 50 years possible

post-24-12624289167813_thumb.png - Tuesday

post-24-12624289415913_thumb.png - Sunday Week

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

may have to wait till feb for some sleep

http://www.telegraph...ts-predict.html

however latest GFS showing more ppcn for westen areas as fronts move north to south, ppcn fizzling outh in the se. the eastly developing later maybe thurday,friday, but thats into fi imo. have to look at the next FAX and radar to see ppcn in next 24/48 hours.

just might have too lol!! might just pitch a tent in the garden lol

Posted

Latest MetO warnings up to Wednesday have nothing for this region with the exception of N East Anglia. Very disappointing

Thats because there isn't a huge amount of risk till Wednesday onwards as we drag in the colder NE/ENE airflow. The trough tonight still needs to be watched, of course the more northern part of the zone is best for this but it still needs watching in case of surprises.

Posted

Thats because there isn't a huge amount of risk till Wednesday onwards as we drag in the colder NE/ENE airflow. The trough tonight still needs to be watched, of course the more northern part of the zone is best for this but it still needs watching in case of surprises.

I agree with that, I reckon they will issue advisories for Thursday tomorrow as the NE/ENE flow takes shape for most if not the whole of the region.

Posted

may have to wait till feb for some sleep

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/6921281/Britain-facing-one-of-the-coldest-winters-in-100-years-experts-predict.html

however latest GFS showing more ppcn for westen areas as fronts move north to south, ppcn fizzling outh in the se. the eastly developing later maybe thurday,friday, but thats into fi imo. have to look at the next FAX and radar to see ppcn in next 24/48 hours.

Good read. I see Netweather are part of the write-up as well :cold:

Paul Michaelwaite, forecaster for NetWeather.tv, said: “It is looking like this winter could be in the top 20 cold winters in the last 100 years.

“It’s going to be very cold the for the next 10 days and although there could be a milder spell at some stage the indications are that the second half of the month will be even colder.”

It's only an Advisory warning at the moment. This will be updated in due course to other areas.

Posted

So good chance for a covering tonight. But Im looking at next week still. A load of snow could fall with these charts! If these charts pull off in their current position I wouldnt be suprised if places got a foot of snow!

Posted

Paul Michaelwaite, forecaster for NetWeather.tv, said: “It is looking like this winter could be in the top 20 cold winters in the last 100 years.

In the Telegraph??? The usually high NW standards are dropping! :cold:

I'm only going to be interested if we get obscene amounts of snow from Wednesday onwards (well enough to halt any progress to work)

Posted

The 0z ECM would quite probably give a very big snowfall indeed, also not even marginal at all because we have such a strong cold pool locked in place by that time...that would be a very good set-up indeed IMO...

However for once at least we don't have to worry about getting the cold to the UK..given its already in place!

Posted

If you have rain/sleet/snow coming from north east, those locations will be higher risk first unless you expect the ppn to jump over those locations.

To suggest your very dissapointed some 4/5 days away seems a over reaction.

Keep watching out for posts from experienced posters, who will interpret the models. Also with more details about the risks. At the moment they suggest much if not all of East England and Scotland will be impacted as well as many other areas, including northern and western locations.

Posted

Eyes to the radar people - there's an unexpected band (streamer?) forming from the Manchester region spreading down across Leicester and it's heading straight for some of us.

I can't see any indication of this having been forecast.

Posted

Should be interesting to see what people are wearing next week as the progged cold temps haven't been seen in this country for 30 years - that should bring some stuff out from the very back of the wardrobe!!

cold.gif

laugh.gif Funny you should say that Coast. I am contemplating a trip to Bluewater, on a SATURDAY(!) to see if I can get myself some wellies. I haven't had a pair since the early 90's laugh.gif

Posted

Eyes to the radar people - there's an unexpected band (streamer?) forming from the Manchester region spreading down across Leicester and it's heading straight for some of us.

Unless its the one forecast to hit late in the afternoon, then it hasnt been forecast and totally unexpected

Edit: On its current course it should hit me!

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

yes just looked at radar and very surprised to see how far its progressing,fingers crossed everybody

Posted

That will explain it. Thanks :)

I had thought from the main model thread we were looking at Monday / Tuesday for snow in the SE -

clearly I've misunderstood :)

Posted

When this streamer started forming a few hours ago, there was a possibility of this intensifying as is the case now.

Posted

When this streamer started forming a few hours ago, there was a possibility of this intensifying as is the case now.

Am I right in saying it is intensifying because of the Cheshire Gap?

Posted

If you have rain/sleet/snow coming from north east, those locations will be higher risk first unless you expect the ppn to jump over those locations.

To suggest your very dissapointed some 4/5 days away seems a over reaction.

Keep watching out for posts from experienced posters, who will interpret the models. Also with more details about the risks. At the moment they suggest much if not all of East England and Scotland will be impacted as well as many other areas, including northern and western locations.

Thanks. My disappointment stems from thinking from the comments (a few days ago in the main models) that the snow would hit us Monday / Tuesday - I've obviously got things muddled.

You're right in that nearly everyone seems to be saying it will come at some point

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

The area of PPN just off Newcastle at the moment is that progged to hit our region tonight. At the moment though temps are higher in that PPN and its coming down as sleet only. It looks like the heaviest PPN will mostly stay offshore though.

Posted

Looking out of my window to my north-west, the clouds are very dark. This is totally unexpected. Looks like it'll be over me shortly. If it gets past me and doesn't fizzle out, Cambridge will be in the firing line next!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

is this band in the midlands going to hit Norwich???