Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Usual problem is that East Anglia gobbles up most of the showers before they hit this area on a NEly unless we have more organised bands of PPN, as you go further East along the Estuary the better chance of getting a hit.

We nead more of an Easterly like last Feb, then game on!

Then alot of the kent counties get missed out , it's about time us mid/east kent get hit.... We've missed alot so far

EDIT : Next lot of snow is hitting now

2a7hht0.jpg

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Another stunning day here in the most easterly town in the UK. Bright blue sunny skies and 0.00001mm of snow on the ground. Temp 3c. I think we will survive this extreme weather event.

Posted

not the whole of east kent unfortunately :yahoo: we have sunshine and 4.8c

Manston is ......1.8c ,and not that far from the sea..thats 3.0c difference?surely cant be right can it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Another stunning day here in the most easterly town in the UK. Bright blue sunny skies and 0.00001mm of snow on the ground. Temp 3c. I think we will survive this extreme weather event.

i agree..this time next week be wondering what all the fuss is about lol..as we seemed to miss most of the showers once again

Posted

Morn....Clear as a bell here in london,slight gusty breeze,few high clouds off to the east........great to hear there's some snow action,shame its 50 miles away!.ha

Posted

Just had 2 snow/soft hail showers here in Iwade, Nr Sittingbourne leaving a dusting on roads, pavements and roofs. Sunny again now but with more towers to the NE.

Temp is at 0.5c.

James

Posted

Then alot of the kent counties get missed out , it's about time us mid/east kent get hit.... We've missed alot so far

EDIT : Next lot of snow is hitting now

Like LeighShrimper, I can see those clouds from here in Shoebury too - almost within touching distance yet tantalisingly too far for us. Looks like we had a few flakes earlier this morning, though, judging by the ground and cars. But I am optimistic we will get snow this morning. A good night's sleep obviously helped.

By the way, Neil, you were complimented on your HDR photography by new member Halling Weather last night (page 1 of this thread). I added a post on the next page agreeing. Super stuff. I should get your cameras out ready to snap snowy scenes. I took mine when I went on a New Year's Day walk along the sea wall from Chalkwell to Old Leigh. Absolutely beautiful with the light dusting of snow. And so crowded it was like a summer's day!

Posted

Morning everyone,

looks like east Kent could do well with snow today!

For my area including london and the rest of the home counties Tuesday looks like seeing snowfall but other than that it's bone dry right up until the weekend!

The more experienced posters were really ramping up this week for snowfall on Friday night " the SE will shut down"

I got slated for keeping my feet firmly on the ground

guess what? Sun sun sun all week apart from Tuesday with a little snow!

EA, Kent look doing ok though!

I love a ramp too, but wish people especially members who know better would not ramp up charts that were 5 days away. You must be realistic!

Don't get me wrong these charts are stunning and I fully appreciate them, but they don't seem so good when it's bone dry away from Kent and EA!

Have a good Sunday everyone :-)

I tend to agree Archie. Im relatively new on this site so perhaps I shouldnt say to much but Im a regular visitor to other weather sites and there does seem to be a disproportianate level of ramping here in the last few days. While I can understand the general level of excitement over the model runs to an extent, some folk seem to have lost sight a little of the fact they are just that....model runs.

The boundaries seem to keep being pushed back. granted some parts of the country are seeing wintry weather, ( its winter after all ) and theres no doubting its a bit chilly here in the South East, but nothing to confirm some of the Armageddon type posts Ive been reading in the last week or so. Often when someone has tried to question it they've been told 'its on its way' ..... '3-4 days from now' .......... everything is in place......or might be in a few days time, and so it goes on.

I mean no disrespect to anyone here but some of us are trying to learn by reading the posts, watching the models and radars and all the other information available, and form our own opinions. Im looking for level headed assessments to help me with that. From now on Im just going to ignore anything that even whiffs of ramping. I hope that doesnt sound too harsh.

For the record it just about reached 0c here overnight, is now 2.5c and rising under clear blue skies. A nice winters day but far from Armageddon or total shutdown.

Posted

Edit, now snowing again!!!

James

Posted

Morning all.

Another beautiful morning here after a third consecutive very slight frost. Nice to see the sunshine after the cloud and drizzle yesterday evening.

Like a previous poster, we may just get through this severe event. Parts of Kent looking a fairly good bet for a bit of snow this week. Mostly dry and sunny for a lot of us I think.

Certainly nowhere near as cold (or as snowy) as the pre- Christmas cols spell here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

good luck people. I am driving down to maidstone in an hour..... slighty concerned about bluebell hill as there seems quite a lot heading that way on the radar..... at least my car is quattro!

Posted

I dont agree with this statement:

Sun sun sun all week apart from Tuesday with a little snow!

If you look at the charts in more detail, there are snow showers for most of EA and some of the SE throughout the whole week. These showers are also likely to be heavy and frequent. There is no model that suggests a dry week albeit Tuesday

Posted

:D That much eh ?

None here - guess we're looking at the middle of next week now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Posted

I tend to agree Archie. Im relatively new on this site so perhaps I shouldnt say to much but Im a regular visitor to other weather sites and there does seem to be a disproportianate level of ramping here in the last few days. While I can understand the general level of excitement over the model runs to an extent, some folk seem to have lost sight a little of the fact they are just that....model runs.

The boundaries seem to keep being pushed back. granted some parts of the country are seeing wintry weather, ( its winter after all ) and theres no doubting its a bit chilly here in the South East, but nothing to confirm some of the Armageddon type posts Ive been reading in the last week or so. Often when someone has tried to question it they've been told 'its on its way' ..... '3-4 days from now' .......... everything is in place......or might be in a few days time, and so it goes on.

I mean no disrespect to anyone here but some of us are trying to learn by reading the posts, watching the models and radars and all the other information available, and form our own opinions. Im looking for level headed assessments to help me with that. From now on Im just going to ignore anything that even whiffs of ramping. I hope that doesnt sound too harsh.

For the record it just about reached 0c here overnight, is now 2.5c and rising under clear blue skies. A nice winters day but far from Armageddon or total shutdown.

the voice of reason.....!

I still can't believe people posting 'day after tomorrow' posts especially from senior experienced members!

Looks like beautiful clear skys to look forward to the rest of this week away from Kent and EA

Posted

It is going to be an agonising day for people in SE Essex today, Maidstone is Directly South of us here and they are already getting the Snow Shower Train. For people wondering why London has been left off the warnings this is why, I would think the showers will hit the North Kent Coast (Sticky Out Bit) and travel WSW Through Medway Towns and die out as they approach North East Surrey etc. So in theory if any of the heavier showers get to say Junction 5/6 of the M25 (Which is 25 miles SW From SE Essex) then they could get more Snow than a place that usually does a lot better in a NE Flow :D:D

The weather is crazy and unpredictable most of the time!

Paul S

Posted

loving the met office warnings soon london will be the only spot without a warning

Yeah, the warnings that are there are largely for ice too. Much of the snow falling in Kent and Medway. This is looking like a rather pathetic spell after all the ramping specially IMBY other local backyards!

The real cold/snow always being a few days away. It'll be quite far from epic as some have suggested. I expect it too be significant accross Eastern coast down this part. That is all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Temps here -1.8c dewpoints -3c pressure 1026 clear blue skies and very frosty.

Posted

Like LeighShrimper, I can see those clouds from here in Shoebury too - almost within touching distance yet tantalisingly too far for us. Looks like we had a few flakes earlier this morning, though, judging by the ground and cars. But I am optimistic we will get snow this morning. A good night's sleep obviously helped.

By the way, Neil, you were complimented on your HDR photography by new member Halling Weather last night (page 1 of this thread). I added a post on the next page agreeing. Super stuff. I should get your cameras out ready to snap snowy scenes. I took mine when I went on a New Year's Day walk along the sea wall from Chalkwell to Old Leigh. Absolutely beautiful with the light dusting of snow. And so crowded it was like a summer's day!

Hi blackie, so frustrating huh! Maybe the wind will turn a little bit more to the ene off shore and blow the shower train the whole 2 or 3 miles our way!

Posted

I dont agree with this statement:

If you look at the charts in more detail, there are snow showers for most of EA and some of the SE throughout the whole week. These showers are also likely to be heavy and frequent. There is no model that suggests a dry week albeit Tuesday

yes EA - not the home counties

So my statement is true for my area - sun all week apart from Tuesday

I doubt very much I'll be getting a shovel at the ready like experience members were posting on Friday night do you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

i totally agree with you apart from tues night its dry right up to the weekend..if this going to be be a "major event" the met office will be doing more about warning people

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

BTW I love your HDR stuff. Bit of a Am-Tog myself but not as good as your stuff!!

Are you a Nikonian or a Canon man???

Thankyou , kind of both of you :cold:

To the question of the camera - Canon Digital Rebel

Back on topic , snow on its way again , few flurries again now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Yeah, the warnings that are there are largely for ice too. Much of the snow falling in Kent and Medway. This is looking like a rather pathetic spell after all the ramping specially IMBY other local backyards!

The real cold/snow always being a few days away. It'll be quite far from epic as some have suggested. I expect it too be significant accross Eastern coast down this part. That is all.

I thinkyou will be eating a nice piece of humble pie by this time next week. Be patient my friend good things will happen from this cold spell. :cold: