Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

where are those photos you promised Brian

just to off set my 1/10 cm that fell last evening

I'd send my photo but it looks more like frost had I not actually seen flakes falling last night!

come on give us all something to hope for please?

Hi John, Bear with me. I'll upload some for you

Posted

well just looked at the radar and the showers are starting to look good already! still -1c here :drinks:

Posted

Looking good GMG biggrin.gif Expect to get triple that by the end of next week!

For my area I'm expecting 3cm-5cm of snow by the end of the week. Can't see much more than that with me being so far inland with more chance of snow showers dodging me! Its going to be the situation of you having 3cm while a few miles up the road there's 6cm laugh.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

very nice Brian grrrrr

and Lewis as you said to yourself 'if only'

mind you perhaps you do live in old RAF shelters!

Posted

very nice Brian grrrrr

and Lewis as you said to yourself 'if only'

mind you perhaps you do live in old RAF shelters!

LOL, if i did live in an old RAF shelter, i wouldn't be here now lol. I would be frozen.

Showers pushing inland now, they seem to be rather intermittent for some area's.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

The very cold weather continues with snow showers or longer periods of snow. Significant accumulations are likely, especially over the moors and towards the Pennines.

Updated: 0219 on Sun 3 Jan 2010 (metoffice)

Got to admit i like the "towards the pennines" part :unknw:

Posted

3c here with a dew of 1.7c

Still -1.5c here! Looking at the radar i see one or two showers have gone over hull, anything interesting? They don't seem to be making much progress inland before fizzling out.

Posted

Thanks for the comments everyone :wacko: The car thats in the picture belongs to next-door, fortunately. We've been managing to get around OK in a little Renault Clio, which we bought recently.

It's done fantasticaly well in the snow. Our neighbours had to stop using their estate car because they couldn't get down our lane. Luckily, they have a 4X4 as well.

It's beginning to snow a little more heavily just now :unknw:

Posted

all you youngsters have to do is wait-be patient-when I was a kid or not much older, okay I worked in the Met O, but way back in the late 50's NO forecaster with NO computer models even dreamnt of, could predict 24 hours ahead let alone 5-6 days.

The snow will come-this is the most wintry looking set of charts I've ever seen since I started using the web and probably the most wintry set of charts, over the next week, assuming they come off-see my blogs about that, which I can remember since perhaps 1991 maybe back further than that.

so lighten up-enjoy-who knows when you will get another winter like this one is developing into.

Posted

light snow showers on and off all morning. very pleasant, now time to crack open a few bears as we get ready for the biggest football match of the decade :fool:

I support St. Albans City, but your gonna get thumped up at Old Trafford!:unknw: :wacko: (Did you hear that your largest forum was shut down because of the things being posted by your lot!, You have some crazy fans!)

Posted

all you youngsters have to do is wait-be patient-when I was a kid or not much older, okay I worked in the Met O, but way back in the late 50's NO forecaster with NO computer models even dreamnt of, could predict 24 hours ahead let alone 5-6 days.

The snow will come-this is the most wintry looking set of charts I've ever seen since I started using the web and probably the most wintry set of charts, over the next week, assuming they come off-see my blogs about that, which I can remember since perhaps 1991 maybe back further than that.

so lighten up-enjoy-who knows when you will get another winter like this one is developing into.

even though i was 4years old, ive got alot of photos of the 1991 event! that delivered so much for our area! snow plough down our street and next door neighbour had a 1meter+ icicle coming off the drainpipe.

Is it close to 1991 with the trend of the charts?

Posted

I agree, in my whole 9/10 years model watching Ive never seen charts as consitantly good as these.

My only concern is the AO/NAO are tending more towards positive in the longer outlook, I think taking this into account Id expect any breakdown to be around the 16th january??

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif .

If we can get through this period without a breakdown I think we could be onto a very memorable winter rather than cold spell..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

looks like most of the showers that were blowing in are just petering out a little. I think they were certainly more potent earlier to what was expected.

it's been snowing lightly here for a good hour, only very light though.

temps now risen to a nice balmy -1.9ºc and DP to -3.02ºc

Posted

I support St. Albans City, but your gonna get thumped up at Old Trafford!laugh.giflaugh.gif (Did you hear that your largest forum was shut down because of the things being posted by your lot!, You have some crazy fans!)

Yes and theres apparantly a good 10,000 got tickets for the game lol. not sure why they are allowing such a big away allocation.

Hopefully we will get a draw and drag them back to ER

Posted

WOW, the Countryfile forecast was breathtaking :wacko:

Wasn't it just!

NOW I'm excited! :unknw:

Lovely light snow here now. Big feathery flakes. Just got back from Whitby and it was a little tricky on the moors with moderate snow.

Temp 1.5C.

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

WOW, the Countryfile forecast was breathtaking shok.gif

It was if you live in the south east.

It all depends on how long we can keep a decent easterly for, the gfs 6z would suggest snow for us tue/wed, but dry after. :)

Posted

light snow showers on and off all morning. very pleasant, now time to crack open a few bears as we get ready for the biggest football match of the decade :)

Goodluck Leeds, Arsenal fan myself but supports anyone against ManUtd. :)

Looks like a gap for me in these showers but still some on the way mi thinks.

Posted

WOW, the Countryfile forecast was breathtaking :)

I missed it mate. Do you think we will be snowed in by mid-week :)

Posted

I agree, in my whole 9/10 years model watching Ive never seen charts as consitantly good as these.

My only concern is the AO/NAO are tending more towards positive in the longer outlook, I think taking this into account Id expect any breakdown to be around the 16th january??

http://www.cpc.ncep....a/nao.sprd2.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep....ex/ao.sprd2.gif .

If we can get through this period without a breakdown I think we could be onto a very memorable winter rather than cold spell..

Only one ensemble member gets to positive values which is good. Interestingly the stratosphere looks on the warm again. This should help the AO stay in negative mode if it was to happen. I know GP was indicating a mild Feb (i suppose most would want one!) however a stratospheric warming event may mean interesting developments for that month!

http://strat-www.met...t=temps&alert=1

Short term and its look very good as JH indicates. Unfortunately i was born in 1992. I don't really know what to expect. People keep comparing to winters beforehand, but being my age i never witnessed them laugh.gif Should be interesting experience what ever i get!

Dam! I missed the forecast doh.gif

Edited by mark bayley