Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Right carry on here, try to be civil but most of all enjoy these amazing synoptics, they don't come about all that often, at least for more then 24hrs!

Yes, last years Easterly was short lived!

Posted

Afternoon everyone. Just wanted to ask what peoples thought are on Luton getting some heavy snow?

I have been reading all weekend and it looks like Tuesday into Wednesday we could see some. The front that moves south on tuesday and then into the channel should give us some good amounts. Then once in the channel it looks like its going to pep up a bit, hopefully enough for it to bring more snow to me.

Friday looks now like were going to have some more, judging by that bbc forecast......

I know from past experience that an e'erly can give us so decent snow but take not that this is not a very strong e'erly (TEITS used to call them the beast from the east)

Are all my comments true? Have i missed anything out?

Cheers, Joe :lol:

Posted

Hi Steve; Yeah, 'tis inevitably a tricky call, isn't it - and obviously just a minor shift in those forecast streamlines would vary the convergence zone in terms of spatial risk and intensity, so it's an 'old school' cloud-watching / radar-watching story more than anything cast in stone! Obviously the UKMO high-res model also has the input of topographical effects / frictional influences in the BL modelling and so it's one of those products that's getting a good deal better with advances in computing power.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Snow showers also developing off the north kent coast :lol:

EDIT : SNOWING :lol:

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Afternoon everyone. Just wanted to ask what peoples thought are on Luton getting some heavy snow?

I have been reading all weekend and it looks like Tuesday into Wednesday we could see some. The front that moves south on tuesday and then into the channel should give us some good amounts. Then once in the channel it looks like its going to pep up a bit, hopefully enough for it to bring more snow to me.

Friday looks now like were going to have some more, judging by that bbc forecast......

I know from past experience that an e'erly can give us so decent snow but take not that this is not a very strong e'erly (TEITS used to call them the beast from the east)

Are all my comments true? Have i missed anything out?

Cheers, Joe :unsure:

This Tuesday going into Wednesday onwards will herald snow and to be honest quite a lot of it. Don't be surprised to see some light snow later on today http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

The synoptics is a lot different to previous milder winters in our neck of the woods, and the 'TEITS Beast from the East' is waiting for TEITS to push the Beastie button :lol: :lol: Seriously, we are in for a very cold and snowy week. Get your shovel, wellies, salt/grit, thermals etc on standby :good:

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Just had a very very light snow shower here, more graupel really! :unsure:

Temp @ 1.5 and DP -1.

Week ahead looking more interesting by the hour!

Matt.

Posted

Always tell when its developed just off the coast...

HAILSTONES! , my favourite weather type aswell :unsure:

Posted

This Tuesday going into Wednesday onwards will herald snow and to be honest quite a lot of it. Don't be surprised to see some light snow later on today http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

The synoptics is a lot different to previous milder winters in our neck of the woods, and the 'TEITS Beast from the East' is waiting for TEITS to push the Beastie button :good: :lol: Seriously, we are in for a very cold ad snowy week. Get your shovel, wellies, salt/grit, thermals etc on standby :unsure:

Thanks! oh maybe some today, ill keep an eye on that....

C'mon TEITS push the button! lol

My shovel has been in the car since before Christmas... my car is useless in the snow but still fun!

Edited by joespontiac

Posted

Hello all. Must admit it is hard not to get a little bit excited about the prospects for this week. I wonder whether one of the BBC forecasts over the next couple of days will claim legendary status on youtube like the Feb 91 forecast has. Though Feb 09 was great for here, Feb 91 was the stuff of dreams. Our area DID grind to a halt. I remember standing in the middle of the A12 just outside Romford during what should have been the rush hour, having no cars on the road simply cause it was too deep with snow. The blizzards were so bad you couldn't see more than 10 meters in front of your face at times. Halcyon days. I hope this week can come close to those glorious few days nearly 19 years ago. Anyway, a quick question to Kold, Steve M or any other expert if i may. When cities around the great lakes or NYC and Washington DC have snow predicted, do you think there are snow loving Americans on forums like this one, biting their fingernails like us lot hoping they get a good dumping? Or is it a case of their snow is more or less guaranteed at, say, T240 because of the lake effect/atlantic etc? I'd love to know whats what in the USA. Cheers.

Posted

WEATHER FOR WEEK AHEAD

http://www.youtube.com/user/terratec365#p/a/u/1/FzOGt-NlfLE

p.s Snowing heavily again!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

We in Brighton seem to be at the end of a cloud streamer that is delivering more to the East. The NW radar does show some intensification of a shower in west Kent that is heading this way. One of those convergence zone things probably though it is very difficult to work out its true path.

Posted

Watch out Ashford there is an intense hailshower moving through , i'm just on the edge of it and i can see intense streaks and it's hailing here!

Hope it doesn't decay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

Hi all. been snowing here for about ten mins light but still snow. its getting darker here fingers crossed we'll have a dusting.

Hi Steve; Yeah, 'tis inevitably a tricky call, isn't it - and obviously just a minor shift in those forecast streamlines would vary the convergence zone in terms of spatial risk and intensity, so it's an 'old school' cloud-watching / radar-watching story more than anything cast in stone! Obviously the UKMO high-res model also has the input of topographical effects / frictional influences in the BL modelling and so it's one of those products that's getting a good deal better with advances in computing power.

Cheers-

It will interesting to see how the forecasting is handled this week by the beeb--- Looking at the country tracks forecast now on the Iplayer-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pr2lt

I think thats a very professional forecast- indeed IF we do get to thurs eve & the pattern is the same I expect the first 'extreme ' weather alert from the Met..

Thats mere speculation for now- the track of the shortwave arond tues /weds is crucial on allowing the air the convergence zone to develop on the Northern flank- of course if it does the orientation will be very much more east West-

I hope todays UKmet model paints the same picture at 120 as it did on the 132/144 panels-

ECm didnt quite look right to me & is reflected in the ECM ensemble suite...

Captivating times-

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Watch out Ashford there is an intense hailshower moving through , i'm just on the edge of it and i can see intense streaks and it's hailing here!

Hope it doesn't decay

Haha cant wait!!!

Posted

Doubt anything will come of it but the clouds are bubbling up further west kent and towards London on the latest sat24 visibility sat.

Posted

Re: TN9's pic of the snow dusting on Bluebell Hill - that really does prove how localised this is, I'm no more than half a mile away from the camera and have had no snow at all! Am keeping my fingers crossed for better snow during the week :-)

Posted

Heavy snow/hail heading towards

Dover

Hythe

Folkestone

Snow/hale developing north kent coast

Posted

Here it is...the one you're waiting for!!

BBC Weeks forecast

It's a great forecast especially for Scotland, northern and eastern England but also the southeast. I would stress however that we wouldn't normally put much faith in the Wednesday-Friday forecast maps so how can we now?

Posted

just been listening to local radio and they saying it could get as cold as -15 in some parts.

temp has risen to 3.4c

wind N/NE

dew point is 0.3

humidity is 79%

clouding over here now :whistling:

Will be interesting to see if that shower can sustain itself over clacton and down to south essex.