Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Another flurry here in Barnehurst-- not real snow- just little polystyrene ball type stuff....

Still its slowly covering the ground-- temp 0.8c

S

After last Feb aren't they now classified as Shermanballs!

After last Feb aren't they now classified as Shermanballs!

well Ive been out in the sherman balls-

RE the threat for snow in the SE--- people dont think the risk for heavy snow is starting friday-

the 12z is MUCH better than the 06z already at 78-

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfsnh-0-78.png?12

Snow for the SE weds......

chart of the day at day 4.... :0

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfsnh-0-96.png?12

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Im a massive ramper. But im firmly in the believe it if we see it camp. Thats the best way to look at things in my opinion. We have been let down so many times in the past. Its hard not to get excited by the beeb forecast and hopefully we get plenty of snow by next weekend. Be prepared for chaos, but also be aware of downgrades. Keep it all crossed peeps, we could be on the verge of a once in 15 year event.

Posted

Thanks for the link.

Wow....wasn't expecting that, could be very interesting by the end of week for many areas.

well that bad lets hope to-nights one even better!!!

Guest FireStorm

Light snow blowing around in the wind. small fluffy flakes - very picturesque

As is the clouds

vg4sr5.jpg

Edited by FireStorm

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Steve im concerned we will be too close to the low pressure center in the north sea like last time for us in kent

Posted

An even more amazing run then the 06z from the 12z run!!!

Huge snowfalls for the SE on this run BEFORE Thursday even starts, the front comes down and weakens, probably 2-3cms from that, then a LP develops in the North sea and also at the tail end of the front which peps up the front in a massive way and then causes the front to stall as the two weak Lps rotate around each other...

IF the 12z came off East Kent would be cut off, the whole region probably seeing at least 4-7 inches, probably upwards to 9 inches in the SE.

Posted

So what do you folks interperate Tomasz's hand gesticulations as?????

Looked as if he was internating 10cm or 1 metre!!! I just didn't think he wanted to say it aloud!!!!!!

OR

:lol: :lol::drinks:

He said that a small amount could well change to a large amount.

Posted

since no ones posting in my regional thread, can i get the ramp pictures and post them here?? Looks like the best run (if it were to happen) for many areas including the snow starved midlands. :lol:

Posted

These are the snow amounts I predict for the south-east by the end of saturday.

East kent: 30-40cm

West kent: 25-35cm

Essex and sussex -20cm-30cm

London: 10-20cm

Homecounties: 15-25cm

EA:25-35 cm

Bit early mate? Good calls though, but IMO home counties would be 20-30cm

Posted

if we get 30 to 40 centimeters in Dover by Saturday I'll be over the moon BarnetBlizzard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Hello all. Must admit it is hard not to get a little bit excited about the prospects for this week. I wonder whether one of the BBC forecasts over the next couple of days will claim legendary status on youtube like the Feb 91 forecast has. Though Feb 09 was great for here, Feb 91 was the stuff of dreams. Our area DID grind to a halt. I remember standing in the middle of the A12 just outside Romford during what should have been the rush hour, having no cars on the road simply cause it was too deep with snow. The blizzards were so bad you couldn't see more than 10 meters in front of your face at times. Halcyon days. I hope this week can come close to those glorious few days nearly 19 years ago. Anyway, a quick question to Kold, Steve M or any other expert if i may. When cities around the great lakes or NYC and Washington DC have snow predicted, do you think there are snow loving Americans on forums like this one, biting their fingernails like us lot hoping they get a good dumping? Or is it a case of their snow is more or less guaranteed at, say, T240 because of the lake effect/atlantic etc? I'd love to know whats what in the USA. Cheers.

Yes Roadrunner,FEB 91 was probably my fav snow event of all,i lived in Braintree essex at the time and remember the silence in the town centre when it was rush hour,and i think the snow came mid week and stopped on the friday,48 hrs of constant dry snow was just incredible.Something even close to this would be great again.

Posted

if we get 30 to 40 centimeters in Dover by Saturday I'll be over the moon BarnetBlizzard!

Ha ha ha! Folkestone struggles with a tenth of that, if we were to get anywhere near that - the town would be pretty much paralysed - though as I have said upthread I will not be believe this until it actually starts happening considering the number of disappointments we've had in recent years. Last February being a case in point.

Edited by Snowy Bob

Posted

I thought i would be a bit daring lol. No but the charts are upgrading everytime for this easterly, just can't wait for thursday onwards :drinks:

Tuesday night/Wednesday is when we get our real first shot of snow! So don't even look that far ahead!

Posted

Beautiful charts from the GFS 12z for the south east, it must be said! Should get some high snowfall totals if this was to materialise, probably widespread falls in excess of 6". Good (and potentially very disruptive) times ahead for this region.

IF the 12z came off exactly as progged you could times that total by 2-3 times over the period of this week...

The 12z however is very much the extreme forecast, its what could happen if everything comes off exactly as planned. FWIW the UKMO also probably would give a spell of very heavy snowfall, probably very similar to the Beeb forecast earlier.

Just about the snowiest GFS run for this region, the UKMO is up there as well!