Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

think this is going to be a quiet night with everyone watching their themometers

It's either that or record the countryfile forecast and watch it over and over again! laugh.gif

Posted

North Rossendale is currently the coldest sport (Habergham Eves) -8.3C

Rossendale -7.5C

Bacup -5.2C

South Liverpool temp has risen quite a bit since the last recording currently -2.9C

My Temp -5.9C dp -9.4C

Glossup -7.1C dp -17.8 °C 0.0

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

high cloud floating over the region will halt temps a little unitl it clears off, thats if it does. check sat24

-3.5c here wamred up from -3.8c

Posted

high cloud floating over the region will halt temps a little unitl it clears off, thats if it does. check sat24

-3.5c here wamred up from -3.8c

Still crystal clear here, though high cloud has been mentioned to the south west, hope it doesn't end up over this way

Posted

Still crystal clear here, though high cloud has been mentioned to the south west, hope it doesn't end up over this way

its heading southwards so you may see it, unless its melts away

epic countryfile forecast for places, not seen those graphics and temps used for along time....

Posted

Minima figures for Buxton overnight are -10'c by Midnight with it still remaining that way even until 9am tomorrow morning.

Here in Whaley Bridge were expected -9'c throughout the night with the temps posing a problem for commuters and the school-run up until 9am also with temps barely recovering until Midday tomorrow. Gritting Depots around here are on their last reserves or run out altogether, Footpaths are barely walkable on (even with Mountain Boots) and I dread to think of those using the higher passes in the morning, even the main roads have barely been gritted. And those that have are now literally ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Current Temp -5.5C

south liverpool -3.9C

Still being a bugger - -2.1c, isnt falling anywhere fast. Both stations are recording the same.

Posted

wish this cloud would skoot off, temp rising now -3.1c can only see the stars in the odd hole in the cloud....get a move on

Posted
Gritting Depots around here are on their last reserves or run out altogether, Footpaths are barely walkable on

That's not a good sign, with the week we've got coming. Countryfile forecast although obviously concentrating on the East/South East, did seem to indicate the snow showers could make their way well inland. Also the end of the week (although you can take this with a pinch of salt at this early stage) indicated a more progressive band of snow waiting in the wings for a weekend assault from the East.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

epic countryfile forecast for places, not seen those graphics and temps used for along time....

What did the countryfile forecast say/show for the northwest?

Edit: just read the post by dogeredee!

The ECM precipitation forecasts are not very promising for our region http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#type=prec

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Went up the Peak District today, did not take a chance and parked up in New Mills then train to Edale (not much traffic around there...) for a ridge walk to Hope. Tons of snow, some great drifts covering walls, amazing weather, very cold even in the sun. Perfect winter conditions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Nice pics Spurry. Looks like you all had a great time.

The one's I took today, I didn't see any kids with sledges. I can't imagine those snowy hills/fields would have been as much abandoned by kids having fun in the snow, pre-ipod/social networking/PS3 days in the 60/70 & 80's lol

Cheers , wish i could resize them though :cold:

It was great to see kids (and the adult kids) out having fun in the snow , i think my son was probably the oldest one there though and he's only 12, i remember when i was a lad, it only had to start snowing and we were out having a laugh (but that was in the 60,s and 70,s ...it just shows how times can change not always for the best) , i'm lucky though because both of my kids have always loved the snow although my daughter (18) isn't so keen now, she can't walk in her high heels when it's slippy :)

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Still being a bugger - -2.1c, isnt falling anywhere fast. Both stations are recording the same.

Where is not falling anywhere fast? You probably have high clouds thus stopping your temps from dropping.

My current temp -6.2C

South Liverpool -5.0C

Woolton -5.2C

Edited by HotCuppa

What did the countryfile forecast say/show for the northwest?

Edit: just read the post by dogeredee!

The ECM precipitation forecasts are not very promising for our region http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#type=prec

Karyo

i hope they are very wrong we wont even get anything monday night/tues morning if they are right! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

just arrived back from spending New Year with friends in Haydock.

only rain yesterday and not a sign of snow until we got on the M66 south of Bury.

arrived home in Bacup to find 8 inches of snow on the drive which needed clearing just to get the car on.

almost every side road here is impossible to drive on with the main roads completely double parked.

temperature on my weather station is currently showing -7.2c.

haven't seen a forecast - is there more snow on its way?

Ian

Posted

Ian - potential snow from a front heading south early hours Tuesday, chance of showers the rest of the week I'd say.

I notice Woodford is showing as -6.7c at 20:00

Anywhere in the North West heading for double -ve figures tonight?

Posted

Cheers , wish i could resize them though :nonono:

This is a handy utility for resizing your pictures. http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

It adds itself to the right click mouse button too, so you basically right click on any picture and it will come up with VSO Image Resizer. It's plain and simple after that.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

-6.3c here now , can't remember when it has been that low this early in the night :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Currently -3.5C but has been down to -4.2C tonight making the coldest night of the winter. It seems to be rising now, even without any cloud.

Posted

What am i to believe?

-3.6c with my sensor resting on the car roof?

OR

-1.6c in an enclosed yard?

I'm not too sure...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Youre not -1.6C there's absolutely no way. If you want to record the air temperature of your location within the area move your thermometer, if you want to record the affects of buildings on the air temperature, then keep it where it is.

If it is where it is though and you want to record weather data based on your areas temperature then you're getting invalid data.

Posted

Youre not -1.6C there's absolutely no way. If you want to record the air temperature of your location within the area move your thermometer, if you want to record the affects of buildings on the air temperature, then keep it where it is.

If it is where it is though and you want to record weather data based on your areas temperature then you're getting invalid data.

The one in the yard says -2.5c now

the one on the car roof says -3.9c - I want an accurate reading of the air temperature, where is the best place to put it? I cant seem to find a good spot.

Posted

Car thermometer registering -6 in blackpool, car been staitionary since 5pm, dont know if this is a realistic reading or not.