Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

Youre not -1.6C there's absolutely no way. If you want to record the air temperature of your location within the area move your thermometer, if you want to record the affects of buildings on the air temperature, then keep it where it is.

If it is where it is though and you want to record weather data based on your areas temperature then you're getting invalid data.

Anyone got any thoughts on when the Northwest (majority low level areas) might see some snow? Im sure iam living in a different world tho, as i went fishing today and it was pleasant in the sunshine, frost granted but nothing drastic. Granted i live in Haydock which is protected from all cold weather, but im wondering if maybe we will see something on the break down, as currently its just chilly.

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

My station is only reading -2.4c atm but then again dont forget its 4 or 5m off the ground :cray:

Where abouts is your sensor?

Been a fantastic winter day here, clear blue skies and it hasn't been above -1.4°C today and as soon as the sunset the temperature absolutely plummeted. Now -7.3°C, but a little cloud has moved in so I expect it might rise soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I've tried to resize these , hopefully they are ok now..

Thanks Dodgeredee!!

post-2070-12625550704213_thumb.jpg

post-2070-12625551094813_thumb.jpg

post-2070-12625551244513_thumb.jpg

post-2070-12625551429713_thumb.jpg

post-2070-12625551572513_thumb.jpg

post-2070-12625551997513_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

temperature now at -8.1c and with plenty of snow cover and clear skies can see it dropping below -10c

last winter i think the lowest i recorded was -9c.

please don't take this as gloating but; as i posted earlier, it amazes me how much snow we currently have here compared to other parts of the North West.

i suppose its compensation for enduring crap weather in the summer.

after all a heatwave up here in the Pennines is when you can take your jumper off.

Ian

Posted

temperature now at -8.1c and with plenty of snow cover and clear skies can see it dropping below -10c

last winter i think the lowest i recorded was -9c.

please don't take this as gloating but; as i posted earlier, it amazes me how much snow we currently have here compared to other parts of the North West.

i suppose its compensation for enduring crap weather in the summer.

after all a heatwave up here in the Pennines is when you can take your jumper off.

Ian

I agree bud, here in Haydock and surrounding areas you wouldnt think their is a big freeze at all, and thats not me over hyping, i went match fishing today and we went thinking freeze, cold, possible snow (after watching media/forcasts), it was in the afternoon really just nippy. Some parts clearly are getting alot out of this.

I want some :p hee hee

Posted

Anyone got any thoughts on when the Northwest (majority low level areas) might see some snow? Im sure iam living in a different world tho, as i went fishing today and it was pleasant in the sunshine, frost granted but nothing drastic. Granted i live in Haydock which is protected from all cold weather, but im wondering if maybe we will see something on the break down, as currently its just chilly.

John

It's down well below -6c here and i'm not far from you, beleive me it's a bit more than chilly , maybe you don't feel the cold!

we haven't had much snow here and it certainly is a different world compared to 15 miles east , where there is 6cms snow and subzero max'x during the day

Edited by Spurry

Posted

It's down well below -6c here and i'm not far from you, beleive me it's a bit more than chilly , maybe you don't feel the cold!

Ill accept im thick skinned, and ill believe you, im just going of feeling. I just hope we get a sting from this cold spell, i love blue sky/sunshine, but i wanna play in some snow :p

I know very greedy lol

Posted

Ill accept im thick skinned, and ill believe you, im just going of feeling. I just hope we get a sting from this cold spell, i love blue sky/sunshine, but i wanna play in some snow :p

I know very greedy lol

So do i , thats why i resorted to a 50mile round trip around the back of Winter Hill to spend a few hrs in the snow today , i'll be doing the same next week as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

the high cloud is clearing now i can the stars coming back, temp up tp -2.6c with the cloud DP -5

plenty of time now for temp to fall away, hoping no more cloud drifts over

Posted

I know very greedy lol

So do i , thats why i resorted to a 50mile round trip around the back of Winter Hill to spend a few hrs in the snow today , i'll be doing the same next week as well

post-2070-12625557753913_thumb.jpg

post-2070-12625557964213_thumb.jpg

post-2070-12625558457913_thumb.jpg

Took these today over t'other side of Winter Hill today , went sledging with my son just outside Blackburn (Tockholes)...made a real nice change from drab snowless Wigan.

Thanks for the tip wysiwyg , the silly thing is ,is that i have posted photos in the past but couldn't remember how i had done it (must be my age)

Why are the photo's so big<br><br>Photo's deleted (too big)<br><br>

Spurry

This is my first post.Temp here in Preston -3c bar 1020. Was out towards Blackpool this afternoon and looked over to winter hill could see there was snow up there

ther was no snow in the Blackpool area where I was.But it was icy roads where I live. Enreco.

Posted

off for a walk tomorrow anyone know how things look around the trough of bowland

Plenty of snow, looked white earlier on this afternoon. Would not bother with your car though roads will be very very icy.

Posted

Manchester Airport is -7C

It got down to -8.0C on the 3rd of March 2006

-9.0C on the 30th December 2000

-12.0C on the 29th December 1995

Where do you get these pieces of data, and where do you find, and learn how to read metars?

Posted

Weather advisory out for the North West by Metoffice for Tuesday.

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting Northern Ireland, parts of southwest Scotland, northwest England and North Wales on Tuesday.

Overnight rain, sleet and snow will clear southwards early Tuesday and as temperatures fall, widespread ice is likely to form on untreated roads and paths.

Issued at: 1715 Sun 3 Jan

My link

So is this our next best chance of some snow this week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Just looked at net-w radar. Interesting to see the north west has the lowest regional temp in England at -7c. :air_kiss: (currently -4 in Blackpool)

Posted

Hi,

I am in South Liverpool, I have seen the low temperatures for here (around -5C) what sort of temperatures could I expect to see by morning? is -10C possible or if not -8 or -9? Also will we be in line for an "ice day" tomorrow where temps stay below freezing all day?

Luke

Posted

Spurry

This is my first post.Temp here in Preston -3c bar 1020. Was out towards Blackpool this afternoon and looked over to winter hill could see there was snow up there

ther was no snow in the Blackpool area where I was.But it was icy roads where I live. Enreco.

There was quite a prolonged snow shower which passed over us and headed off to the Blackpool/fylde area, wasn't sure if it made it to the coast though...welcome to the board by the way :)

Posted

Hi,

I am in South Liverpool, I have seen the low temperatures for here (around -5C) what sort of temperatures could I expect to see by morning? is -10C possible or if not -8 or -9? Also will we be in line for an "ice day" tomorrow where temps stay below freezing all day?

Luke

The irish sea should keep you above -10 overnight and above freezing during the day, it would be very strange to see liverpool drop below -10c

Posted

Just looked at net-w radar. Interesting to see the north west has the lowest regional temp in England at -7c. :) (currently -4 in Blackpool)

-6.5c here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

- 4c

DP -6c

shap currently @ -8.5c, scotland not so cold tonight

Posted

Great photos-nice to see we have blueboys in Wigan-not a bad draw for us was it!

Posted

Some quite low temperatures being recorded in the region so far. I note Shap having -8 degrees at 9.00pm, expect it to be nudging the -10 degree barrier as I speak.

Don't know what it is here, but I would guess easily -5 degrees if not close to -7 degrees, it is bitter, expecting our coldest night of the season so far.

As for snow prospects tomorrow for the region, the front heading down from the north tomorrow night looks likely to deliver widespread snow to most if not all the region. The flow is going to be north westerly, the Irish Sea will help to enhance the precipitation I feel, hilly areas close to the Pennines and especially here in the Lake District could see some quite heavy snow for a time. I expect upgrades in potential amounts of snow in the morning forecasts.

Beyond, plent of further snow opportunities on Tuesday and Wednesday with quite a strong N/NE flow eventually backing more ENE, showers will easily travel across the Pennines to affect many eastern and northern parts of the region less so the further south and west.