Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted

the beeb wasnt and still isnt showing snow for newcastle. as i said earlier it shows it breaking up southern scotland and reforming and intensifying further south.

as others have said I think the showers are more promising.

temp risen to -0.9, more cloud cover. whats everyone else reading?

The BBC said snow would fall and accumulate on Saturday and it did'nt so i suppose in that respect, we just have to remain hopeful.

Its a strange one because the 00Z UKMO and 06Z GFS showed PPN over us yet by the time the 12Z came out, it's gone.

Lets hope the forecasts are wrong but i would not bank on it though. We shall see.

Posted

I tend to agree that the most snow will come from the showers tomorrow rather than the front coming down from scotland tonight,although i think the front will intensify once it gets past the scottish mountains giving most of us a further light covering.

Tomorrow afternoon looks good for some potent snow showers coming in off the north sea with yet again a decent thundersnow risk.

The rest of the week brings a continuing snow risk,so lots of satellite and radar watching to come.<_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Latest model runs and Fax show Thursday to be very snowy.

I think it's just going to be a nowcast situation. I wouldn't rule out anything although I'd admit that snow chances tonight are reduced compared to earlier runs.

Posted

As an example a front that hit teeside north yorks last week was mentioned on the BEEB as to bring a l;iittle drizzle we actually got an inch of snow and there was very little to show on the radar.

Its the angle of attack with these fronts with places that jut out into the north sea most favoured eg teeside cleveland north yorks it seems 5 to 10 cm quite possible locally especially cleveland hill yorkshire moors have fun!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

As an example a front that hit teeside north yorks last week was mentioned on the BEEB as to bring a l;iittle drizzle we actually got an inch of snow and there was very little to show on the radar.

Its the angle of attack with these fronts with places that jut out into the north sea most favoured eg teeside cleveland north yorks it seems 5 to 10 cm quite possible locally especially cleveland hill yorkshire moors have fun!!!!!!

Yep thornaby lad here waiting to wake up to even more snow! :whistling:

Posted

Meto invent 18z update now online.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Still think the front from the North wont get as far South as projected.

Things will change again overnight.

Mark

Edited by Tucco

Posted

Meto invent 18z update now online.

Still think the front from the North wont get as far South as projected.

Things will change again overnight.

Mark

this confirms they think this initial front will miss us completly, and the showers are delayed a little.

nowcasting anyone ? :drinks:

Posted

Some snow showers ahead of the front are now appearing around edingburgh and pushing south a little

Posted

Some snow showers ahead of the front are now appearing around edingburgh and pushing south a little

I think that is the developing front.

Mark

Posted

Mark

Oh okay good news then and aslong as it keeps intensifying im happy and a straight hit to us! drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Another indication that the Met Office think it will miss us...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

New warnings just put out for the North West, nothing for us, yet.

It's hard to even differentiate between the front and the showers behind now, just looks a bit of a mess.

Hopefully we'll still get something but anything more than 1 or 2cm looks unlikely now.

Posted

it's bloody lethal out there tonight.the gritted roads are refreezing and it just looks as though the surface is wet,thats until you get on top of it.take care anyone driving tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Mark

I would agree with that, it's on cue from what dissipated over the highlands. It's got a few hours to intensify so hopefully we'll see something decent, especially those to the South of the region.

Next three days looking good with the models picking up lots of showers. I'd expect with the instability about that there may be more PPN than is currently being forecast. Perhaps showers bunching together for some more prolonged bands of snow? We need to keep an eye on Thursday as well with that little feature potentially giving something more organised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Quite a few places in N'ern Scotland reporting rain rather than snow, does this add further doubt to the situation?

Posted

looks like much of Teesside is going to miss out on this one, just watched the forecast on bbc 1, alot of snow up Newcastle way for tomorow, then nothing until further down south :wallbash:

Posted

looks like much of Teesside is going to miss out on this one, just watched the forecast on bbc 1, alot of snow up Newcastle way for tomorow, then nothing until further down south cc_confused.gif

Nope actually mate were going to get the best snowfalls and even hannah said best snowfalls in the east which suggested the graphice were awfull.

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Quite a few places in N'ern Scotland reporting rain rather than snow, does this add further doubt to the situation?

yep - lets hope the first batch misses us! :help:

showers please, lots of heavy showers!

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

If this is to be believed we could still have a big event!

Edited by tynevalleywinter

Posted

If this is to be believed we could still have a big event! http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

how do you mean? you talking about the 'blue' over us tonight? the blue is basically very low precipitation (0.01-0.05 mm/h) which basically means 0cm snow :whistling:

what you need to look out for is the yellows and oranges

Posted

To be fair the front is crawling towards us and has intensified slightly. It is around the Borders now. I'm hoping we get a bit from that.

Posted

Nope actually mate were going to get the best snowfalls and even hannah said best snowfalls in the east which suggested the graphice were awfull.

lets hope so, there was huge amounts of snow fall in the tyne and wear region, I would of thought the snowfall would reach us.