Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

A little patience folks. This is not even the bulk of it yet. The main activity was forecasted for the early hours and in to tomorrow's rush hour. It's going to be a long night. Rain today radar showing it's snow in Bolton. Personally a good sign for me and anyone east of this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Temp on the rise here, upto -2.1°C, not too worried, Dianne Oxbury forecast 10-15cm for the Pennines tonight and even if it is a very weak affair we should retain what snowcover we have I think.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Light snow here has changed to what i can only call 'ice' - it is not snow, hail, graupel or sleet???

Temp still rising and currently 1.8c with dp of 1.2c :angry:

Posted

Temp on the rise here, upto -2.1°C, not too worried, Dianne Oxbury forecast 10-15cm for the Pennines tonight.

Before Christmas Dianne Oxbury said "No Snow for us in the North West" and we proceeded to have falling snow on 5 of the next 7 days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

A little patience folks. This is not even the bulk of it yet. The main activity was forecasted for the early hours and in to tomorrow's rush hour. It's going to be a long night. Rain today radar showing it's snow in Bolton. Personally a good sign for me and anyone east of this.

Yes patience is needed, I remember only the other day there was panic when a band moving up from the south was weakening but as it reached the Manc area northward it intensified and even some parts of Manchester got 8cm+ from that.

Posted

That's good advice! Some people people panic too easily!

A heavy shower is coming our way according to the radar. Hopefully, all snow!

Karyo

Posted

Light Snow now falling here topping up the few inches we have left. :drinks::):)

Rain today radar very accurate as usual.

Edited by Chrissy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Current conditions at manchester airport

Temp -1c DP -2c

Mostly cloudy

C.S

Posted

The charts I'm looking at still show plenty for my area both overnight and tomorrow (I benefit from easterlies too) but time will tell. Whatever falls out of the sky, it's going to be frozen as it's now -4.2C with a dewpoint of -5.1C.

The only reason I'm bothered about snowfall tonight is that I'd like the kids to have a day off school as they should be at home eating crisps and playing on the computer...not in school.

Posted

Snow League Table

Saddleworth

Bacup

Rochdale

Douglas

Wythenshawe

Chorlton / South Manchester

Liverpool Airport

We had snow here 2 days before Christmas, possibly 2 inches, lasted a few days, but nothing since except heavy frosts....

You can add hale to that list, we had 4 and a half inches T 2+ days before xmas and it stayed for 3 days.

Posted

Before Christmas Dianne Oxbury said "No Snow for us in the North West" and we proceeded to have falling snow on 5 of the next 7 days!

True but she is a bit of a mild ramper our Dianne, so when she forecasts snow it does make me listen lol.

Temp on the rise here, upto -2.1°C, not too worried, Dianne Oxbury forecast 10-15cm for the Pennines tonight and even if it is a very weak affair we should retain what snowcover we have I think.

Mate if your temp is rising to that from -3.5 an hour or so ago thats a big concern.thats 1.5 degree rise in an hour which is rapidThis rattin mild sector must be right over us ,AGAIN.

lol

Edited by happy days

Posted

The charts I'm looking at still show plenty for my area both overnight and tomorrow (I benefit from easterlies too) but time will tell. Whatever falls out of the sky, it's going to be frozen as it's now -4.2C with a dewpoint of -5.1C.

The only reason I'm bothered about snowfall tonight is that I'd like the kids to have a day off school as they should be at home eating crisps and playing on the computer...not in school.

Aye, blooddey headucation wot god is thwat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp continues to rise 0.7c now DP -0.6c

now 0.8c...

now 1.0c a rise of 0.2c in 3 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

met o warning now for us, the front is much weaker now

Edited by james12

Posted

My god you should listen to yourselves. You have had a lot of snow over the last week or two, while the south has had nothing but rain..you should count yourself lucky you do not live here with our drought. Many of our younger posters have had to sit through this rain while everyone else has had the fun. Have a little patience, you learn that down here believe me lol.

Anyways temps still dropping here..which is starting to look really good. At least this freezing rain reported in Liverpool will miss me to the north :lol:

Posted

Errrr, I'm getting SW winds - wasn't expecting that!

Maybe that's the reason for the temp rise - currently 2.2c and max today was only 2.4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

My god you should listen to yourselves. You have had a lot of snow over the last week or two, while the south has had nothing but rain..you should count yourself lucky you do not live here with our drought. Many of our younger posters have had to sit through this rain while everyone else has had the fun. Have a little patience, you learn that down here believe me lol.

Anyways temps still dropping here..which is starting to look really good. At least this freezing rain reported in Liverpool will miss me to the north :lol:

ive had no snow...apart from seeing a flurry or 2 fall thats it but its green where i am and will be for the next week or so

Posted

temp continues to rise 0.7c now DP -0.6c

now 0.8c...

now 1.0c a rise of 0.2c in 3 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

met o warning now for us, the front is much weaker now

Haydock has a dusting of snow, we had some very sharp snow/sleet/rain/ice showers before which changed with the wind (i was walking in them home from work), It was nice :lol:

I think we should all hold tight, 2 weeks of this cold weather could throw anything our way.

Posted

Mate if your temp is rising to that from -3.5 an hour or so ago thats a big concern.thats 1.5 degree rise in an hour which is rapidThis rattin mild sector must be right over us ,AGAIN.

lol

I was reading -2.9°C an hour ago so not that much of a rise IMO, on occasions like these I've seen it rise much quicker before, I won't worry until we get 0.5°C or above.

Posted

Errrr, I'm getting SW winds - wasn't expecting that!

Maybe that's the reason for the temp rise - currently 2.2c and max today was only 2.4c

We have wsw winds and the irony is the temps are still dropping even with a milder wind direction

Posted

True but she is a bit of a mild ramper our Dianne, so when she forecasts snow it does make me listen lol.

A bit of a mild ramper! She's the mild ramping queen. Her favourite line is "at least it won't be cold".

It never ceases to amaze me just how many TV weather forecasters like a bit of mild weather. I'm mean, we are all enthusiasts on here and the majority like to see a nice winter snow event or two.

Personally I like quite a variety of weather (summer heat, summer thunderstorms, winter snow/frosts, dry cold winter days, early spring sunshine, autumn & spring storms etc etc) but to get to be a professional forecaster and not be in the least excited with the prospect (or potential) of a snow fall seems strange.

Anyway back to tonight, still fairly confident, temp still -1c dp -2c.

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted

Word up, HotCuppa! The amount of snow we've had compared to the rest of the region has been pitiful. I'm used to marginal events here, but the Irish Sea has really taken the biscuit this time round.

Then again, maybe WE should be glad of getting SOME snow just before Christmas? Meh.