Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Umm, well spotted, does look like one...where would this track do you think? Could head for Ireland?

yes it looks like ireland is in for a shock.... shame it was not aiming north to south

Posted

Just a few mins of heavier type snow, but it's all gone very light and patchy again. Still the car's got it's first covering of the night :huh:

Posted

thanks for replying ian.

Looks like the showers are readily turning to snow as they get within about 10 -15 miles of the coast.

nice for me and you we are well inland! :wallbash:

The latest forecast on N24 has been ramped up the snow even more...the whole of the northwest is now under the snow including coasts..funny that because its pretty much rain upto around Bolton...and as the night wears on the snow will be on the eastern side of the pennines.

This is a non event now west from Bolton until it transfers east of the pennines later. How i'd love to be wrong..i just can't see it myself.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

And we're off....just started to snow lightly.

Posted
hehe you go right ahead and post your pics in the se thread thats should be funny..but then again with amount of snow they are supposed to be getting come the weekend..they'd probably make a mockery of us lol
Potentially....the south east has always had endless 'potential' for snow. Even if it does snow, to quote Obama, you can put lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig.

Posted

Flash warnings issued by the met office for the NW for heavy snow & icy roads effective from 9pm tonight.

Heavy snow currently in Haydock (near wigan) very heavy indeed :wallbash:

Posted

Showers of rain, sleet and snow will fall onto subzero surfaces, leading to widespread ice on untreated surfaces. In addition, snow showers are likely to become heavy at times, with the potential for 1 to 3 cm locally, and up to 5cm, especially over higher ground.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1923 Mon 4 Jan

As for me no precip has fallen since the rather brief snow shower I had about 30mins ago. But I do have to say there is a rather menacing looking cloud coming my way. Hopefully something in it.

EDIT: As soon as I say that snow has begun to fall.

Edited by NW_Blackburn

Posted

Flash warnings issued by the met office for the NW for heavy snow & icy roads effective from 9pm tonight.

The warning for Halton is for icy roads as temperatures tumble which explains the gritters, certainly not for snow lol

however as things stand its clouded over temps have risent to 1C and dp is now -2.1C and rising..rain and lots of anyone? lol

Further heavy snowfall may then develop across Northern Ireland. what has this to do with anything? surely with the air stream the only place that could possibly be affected by any snow in N Ireland would be north wales?

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Getting quite heavy here now, I can barely see the end of the road :help:

Temp currently -1.8°C

Edited by James M

Posted

lol 1- 3cm on low ground 5cm on high round.

thats pathetic.

:help:

I still think they are predetermining that warning from a frontal band coming down from Scotland, rather the showers we are seeing coming off the Irish Sea. If some of those showers become heavy and extensive, then you could expect more than 1-3cm

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Current temp 0.8c and dp -2c. Not too bad with the wind direct off the Irish hot water bath(sorry sea !!) :yahoo::D

Posted

The Met office has it hard with Irish Sea streamers. If you rewind the radar back to 5pm they are merely specks of blue in the Irish sea. Fast forward it a few hours and see how the showers grow and merge together once they hit land.

Who'd be a weather forecaster lol

Posted

Being more of a 'shamateur' than you guys and girls, what do you think the chances of lying snow for Liverpool overnight tonight?

I think its probably a dead cert for rain possibly heavy sleet tonight sadly. The temps are not going to play ball and stay low enough imo.

Then again once we get rid of these nuisance showers, and our temps dip, we'll be waiting for the front to arrive from scotland...you might get something from that, but I am not holding my breath this time around, seems to be the met office are pre empting things a bit. I am struggling to see any temp below freezing tonight. The warning for Halton is extremely premature.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

thats pathetic.

:D

Ditto that HD! To class that as severe is an insult to the word!! I guess they're including widespread icyness in there, but even so... Blackpool airport at 1c with DP at 0c - still too marginal in these parts, but lots of ppn coming. Just moderate sleet atm though.

Posted

none here in wigan mellow.gif

I think it is extremley hit and miss, and to predict A) where the precip will fall, and in what form it'll arrive is going to be very difficult. In saying that, it'll make for good lampost watching throughout the evening.

Here's hoping we all get a snow event. Cheers. drinks.gif (opening a nice chilled bottle of pinot Grigot)

Posted

thats pathetic.

:yahoo:

I think this bodes well, it's when the MetO start warning of 10-20cm when things go tits up! :D

Posted

I think it is extremley hit and miss, and to predict A) where the precip will fall, and in what form it'll arrive is going to be very difficult. In saying that, it'll make for good lampost watching throughout the evening.

Here's hoping we all get a snow event. Cheers. drinks.gif (opening a nice chilled bottle of pinot Grigot)

Pass a glass over the water :drunk::drunk: