Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Snowing here now with large flakes at temp of 2c and dp of 1.5c

Winds are still coming from the SW but the cloud height temp must be cold enough.

There is hope for all.

Posted

Started to snow again here. Tranquil falls with hardly much wind, but nice flakes and sticking with ease to the already couple of cm's lying snow. Ties in with the little blob of pink on the rain today radar.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Snowing here now with large flakes at temp of 2c and dp of 1.5c

Winds are still coming from the SW but the cloud height temp must be cold enough.

There is hope for all.

How is that possible?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I for one am hoping that none of this precipitation falls as rain for anyone...for the simple reason that it would result in sheer chaos and possible carnage once it re-froze before tomorrow morning. Frankly I am getting pretty much sick to the back teeth with rain followed by sub zero temps and sheet ice having already experienced the results more than once since before Christmas.

As for the Met O's latest warnings...yes I'll credit them issuing them for icy roads...good call...BUT!

Issuing warnings for 1-3cms of snow???? Utter nonsense!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Started to snow again here. Tranquil falls with hardly much wind, but nice flakes and sticking with ease to the already couple of cm's lying snow. Ties in with the little blob of pink on the rain today radar.

When it snows like this with no wind it's my favourite time, we can get much bigger flakes and when it accumulates the depths always look more impressive to me.Plus it all settles on the trees and looks magical!

Edited by James M

Posted

How is that possible?

Friend of mine reported rain at -1C DP and 2.8C in Aigburth, temps though along south liverpool are much colder than this.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Snow is getting gradually heavier here but still light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Bloody hell ,the messages are coming quicker than i can read them on this thread...currently we have -0.3c and a moderate snow shower, we have had 4 showers since 5pm and it is settling , i hope what comes later is snow not sleet/rain

Posted

Pass a glass over the water drinks.gifdrinks.gif

I'm from Moreton myself Shaun, only been over the 'dark side' about 7 years. And your Rovers avatar...Love it. Season ticket holder for 16 years only recently decided to abort. Still love the Superwhite Army though!good.gif

Posted

How is that possible?

I know - pretty amazed myself - it was 2.3c when it started and has since fallen to 1.7c and dp 1.3c

As I was saying, my winds are showing from the SW, so there must be a very low level layer of warm air but colder immediately above.

Flakes are big, but at the rate they are dropping it seems that they must be rather wet. Still sticking though and not melting except slightly on the cars.

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted

Bloody hell ,the messages are coming quicker than i can read them on this thread...currently we have -0.3c and a moderate snow shower, we have had 4 showers since 5pm and it is settling , i hope what comes later is snow not sleet/rain

Not holding my breath...temps on the rise here now thanks to the crappy showers to my north

Posted

When it snows like this with no wind it's my favourite time, we can get much bigger flakes and when it accumulates the depths always look more impressive to me.Plus it all settles on the trees and looks magical!

Agreed. It all looks very picture postcard when it snow heavy with not much wind. Wind can give drifting which exagerates snow depth in places, leaving other spots virtually swept clean lol

Posted

Snowing here too, quite heavily.

That NW Extra radar is brilliant - I've been watching this snow shower for the past hour and a half! How sad is that!laugh.gif

Posted

Could have something to do with this;

Online At Once Record - 1,287 - 23 minutes ago

Feb 09 record has been broken now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Snowing here too, quite heavily.

That NW Extra radar is brilliant - I've been watching this snow shower for the past hour and a half! How sad is that!:lol:

Well you're not the only one! :lol: It is excellent though, I was able to say to my parents earlier "it's going to snow in five minutes" and sure enough it did :D