Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Jayces

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Personally I have found it to be much better than raintoday.(Easier to use faster and very accurate.

Certainly worth £4 for the month in my eyes.

Posted

It does look as though the snow makes it to the south coast, then starts to pivot back NE by about 10pm, bringing our region in to play. Then a trough moves in off the N.Sea in the early hours, again effecting our region, before the whole lot pulls slowly SE throughout all of tomorrow. So dont write it off just yet. We may miss the heaviest stuff. But we could have prolonged light/mod snowfall overnight and through tomorrow especially, giving some decent accumulations.

Of course it could miss us completely. But we still have plenty of scope for snow throughout the rest of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Anyone on here from the Brighton area?

I'm watching net weather radar hoping we might get some like on the 17th of december (we got 5 inches then)

Anyone know if Brighton could get any out of this set up?

I know most of you are from kent so more concentrating on that area.

Thanks,

Rob.

Posted

Will this snow be worse than the snow we had a couple of weeks ago in west Kent ?

Snowy, in terms of the next few days, yes it is quite possible you'll have a snow depth greater than a few weeks back. It is not possible to know just exactly how much as this will vary in our region that this thread relates to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Every penny, it's what I'm using today to see what's coming and when :D

Goood morning mr Coasty, been watching my newly purchased 5 min radar,(small hint guys and gals its worth every one of the few pounds it costs!) we have a line of precipitation due to hit us in the next 15 mins to half an hour, very interesting to see what this falls as, 1c here but still just -0.4c dewpoints, still looks like the main stuff will be later tonight onwards for us sunny seaside lot.

Honest im not getting exited....

Jason

Edited by jasonuk

Posted

At work here the water pipes have frozen! We have no running water or flushing loo! Still hoping for some snow though. Maybe I will be able to melt it.

Posted

Scroll through the animations Here

Clearly shows it heading NE again later tonight, then the trough moving in off the N.Sea around rush-hour tomorrow in the northern parts. Then it all pulling back SE, clearing Kent by around midday Thursday. So tomorrow in particular could be decent for our region.

That's if GFS is correct of course. Which is up for debate :D:D

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Although in Hertfordshire, what Sawbo, Ware and Broxbourne need for snow is a forecast of precipitation from the west reaching as far as Essex...Herts would not do it in my book. Similarly, anything from the east require it to forecast to reach Bucks to be sure we get it!

Although everything seems to be in place, I can't get carried away... I've been bitten too many times in the past by expectations being dashed. We are capable of being too far north, south, east or west where we are! In fact the best snow we've had in my kids lifetimes, in fact the only decent snowfall we've had in that time, was from the Thames streamer back in Feb (which my kids missed as they were in Ireland and unable to get back because of the weather!). However the seven inches we got then was not generally forecast (Paul S was the only one I saw who got it right). The problem then was just as that petered out, we were warned to expect about another 7 inches which WAS generally forecast....only it didn't materialize!

So I have a desire to be very optimistic, but a pessimism that's been beaten into me over the years. :D

Edited by Timmytour

Posted

Honest im not getting exited....

Well I am!!! :yahoo:

Morning Jason, I just want to get home tonight......

and not into work tomorrow! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I'm not sure what to believe to be honest, GFS has me on the edge of the bullseye for tonight's event, but the NAE has me on the edge of it. Either way, I think that Western parts of this region around London could be in for a surprise.. anyway I'll check back later

Posted

Posted

Just a bit gutted to see the Met Office have issued a warning for "Very Heavy Snowfall" tonight in Oxfordshire and other more southern counties and nothing but an advisory for Heavy Snow tomorrow in Northamptonshire. :yahoo:

Posted

I still think midnight onwards will be out turn. Right through until Thurs.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Scroll through the animations Here

Clearly shows it heading NE again later tonight, then the trough moving in off the N.Sea around rush-hour tomorrow in the northern parts. Then it all pulling back SE, clearing Kent by around midday Thursday. So tomorrow in particular could be decent for our region.

That's if GFS is correct of course. Which is up for debate :lol: :yahoo:

You'd love it to be right though, eh? Continuous snow from around 10pm tonight to around 7am Friday morning...? Since there's no place to go...

Posted

Latest MetO warning:

London & South East England: Hampshire Oxfordshire Southampton W Berkshire

Very Heavy Snowfall 2000 Tue 5 1100 Wed 6

There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting parts of Southern England this evening and overnight. A period of exceptionally heavy snowfall is expected with accumulations of 15-30 cm and perhaps in excess of 40 cm. This is expected to cause widespread disruption to the transport network and could lead to problems with power supplies.

The public are advised to take extreme care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1135 Tue 5 Jan

Posted

You'd love it to be right though, eh? Continuous snow from around 10pm tonight to around 7am Friday morning...? Since there's no place to go...

Yeah. Would be nice. Although it is the GFS prediction, so has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

What I will say is, I fail to believe that with so may features across the S. UK later, that we will fail to be hit from any of them.

We simply have to get hit from one of the features. Whether thats the snow coming up from the SW tonight, or the trough coming from the N.Sea tomorrow...

If we manage to miss both. That would really be taking the "P"

:(

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Well I am!!! :clap:

Morning Jason, I just want to get home tonight......

and not into work tomorrow! :(

Hmmm its going to be tight on timing for you finishing work and getting home before the big stuff possibly gets here, you work up B/hill H/heath way i believe? I wouldnt fancy the journey home, id give the 272 a miss!

Gone very dark here now with the cloud coming in from the channel.

Posted

Models still not sure about the evolution of this set-up, one thing is sure though someone is going to cop the bullseye and wherever does is going to get probably a foot of snow.

For our region, esp further east the models still have real interest, they are keen to throw the second front over our region regardless of what happens with the first one...and that second front should be very slow moving so on its own I'd imagine 5-7cms possible, esp in Kent obviously.

Anyway closing this thread soon!