Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Jayces

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

I would say pop up to the midlands thread Paul, but best be quick, because we're gonna get snowed in soon... drinks.gif

Is it me AJ or does it seem cold in the midlands?yahoo.gifdrinks.gifdrunk.gifph34r.gif Probably the snowfall due soon....

Posted

Well, I am postponing my half day tomorrow - you just watch that blasted snow make a detour from 3pm onwards towards London & Kent, while I sit at work sweating, watching the radar and panicing about getting home for the evening.... laugh.gif Guaren-fooking-teed! Sods Law is my middle name, after all.

Posted

So are we going to get anything at all tomorrow? Surely a few cms?

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

"Earlier on today apparently a woman rang the BBC and said she had heard that there was a snowstorm on the way. Well if you are watching, don't worry, there isn't."

:cold:

:good:

:)

:):)

Posted

im sure us in the home counties just need it to shift a little east and we would be in a great position. im sure if it can go west at this stage, it can go east by tomorrow! :cold:

It can - but i cant see it. East Anglia looks certain to miss out on the major event after all. All models, all forecasts show no snow no for my region tomorrow. Cant believe its all gone so pear shaped in the last 12 hrs.....

Please take my belt and laces off me...

Posted

My area looks like it will get some snow but from my basic reading it looks like not very much . . am i reading right?? Tomorrow i mean obviously Wednesday is another day.

Janet

Posted

I would say pop up to the midlands thread Paul, but best be quick, because we're gonna get snowed in soon... :cold:

Karl

As Rodney says to Delboy.....................GIT! :good:

Posted

Thing is Tamara, we were never meant to get anything until Wednesday anyway BUT and it is a big but, what further ramifications does this have further down the line for the South East, remember if the Low (Which was supposed to be in the Southern North Sea) by Tues 18z is now 100 Miles west, where does this put us for the ENE Then East flow at T96 & Further out with the High and approaching Low from the continent at the weekend. This worries me more than tomorrows event tbh

Paul S

Regardless of what happens to those lows the pattern is being edged se wards so an east to ne flow will become established with some very cold upper air pulled west on the southern flank of the high. Unless the earth starts spinning in the opposite direction this has to happen, in terms of the se these areas are likely to hang onto the snow showers as more northern areas become more settled, theres also a chance that more persistent snow may edge in from the se later. I understand it's a bit frustrating but the prospects for the se are still very good.

Posted

Oh well another last min blow to the balls. We should be used to it by now. Think ill keep the tv off tomorrow to save anymore anguish. Best of luck to our central, southern and sw counterparts though. Enjoy, you lucky gits.

SE have had more than their fair share of snow lol, in Cardiff we've not had 1cm yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Regardless of what happens to those lows the pattern is being edged se wards so an east to ne flow will become established with some very cold upper air pulled west on the southern flank of the high. Unless the earth starts spinning in the opposite direction this has to happen, in terms of the se these areas are likely to hang onto the snow showers as more northern areas become more settled, theres also a chance that more persistent snow may edge in from the se later. I understand it's a bit frustrating but the prospects for the se are still very good.

Good post. Glad to hear it. Just like this event has suddenly popped up for CS, SW & Midlands, so can an event for us. Hopefully........

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Thing is Tamara, we were never meant to get anything until Wednesday anyway BUT and it is a big but, what further ramifications does this have further down the line for the South East, remember if the Low (Which was supposed to be in the Southern North Sea) by Tues 18z is now 100 Miles west, where does this put us for the ENE Then East flow at T96 & Further out with the High and approaching Low from the continent at the weekend. This worries me more than tomorrows event tbh

Paul S

Hi Paulsmile.gif

There is now good agreement for a snow showers north easterly late this week. I will just be happy with a good covering, some hard frosts and a snow layer that sticks based on the continuing cold outlook without fretting over every single forecast, model update or chinese whisper via the media, Auntie Nellie and Uncle Rasputin, or via a BBC weather bulletin - whether recorded live or pre recorded. etc etc etc. Blah blah

I don't need (nor want) armeggedon situations anyway. Just a white blanket of snow and icy temps to be able to enjoy at my leisure. A luxury that this winter seems to be permitting us after so long. We should be grateful just for that without ever wanting and hoping for more and more. Especially wanting ever more severe conditions. People need to be careful what they wish for imo.

All that aside, things on here atm are on an OTT information overload and people are running around like headless chickens. It is the weather - the weather does what the weather does.

Anyway, I'll leave people to it. I'm too long in the tooth for all this anywaylaugh.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Paul S

I'm not sure Paul but I don't think synoptically the low is a big deal, esp because several of the very snowy UKMO runs were prediciting this to occur anyway yet still had the same ENE airflow.

The big issue is more with where the upper high sets-up. With a low developing far in the Atlantic the center of the upper high is a pretty good idea as to where the surface high sets-up and the GFS is constantly too far SE for us, the ECM+UKMO have a far better set-up for the SE and so thats needs watching, I'd feel confident if the UKMO/ECM came off with this area getting snowfall..

Besides I'm willing to bet the second front provides us with some fun and games, not too potent but it'll become very slow moving...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

SE have had more than their fair share of snow lol, in Cardiff we've not had 1cm yet.

Quick it's snowing in Cardiff........ !

Phew he's gone :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

It can - but i cant see it. East Anglia looks certain to miss out on the major event after all. All models, all forecasts show no snow no for my region tomorrow. Cant believe its all gone so pear shaped in the last 12 hrs.....

Please take my belt and laces off me...

Yes, tomorrow does look a bit disappointing but I still firmly believe that Weds onwards is the optimal time for EA to get snow.

Kold Weather pointed out earlier that there is a second front that may hit us and also there are some nice looking troughs on the fax charts tonight for later in the week!

Plenty there to keep the hopes up!

Posted

"Earlier on today apparently a woman rang the BBC and said she had heard that there was a snowstorm on the way. Well if you are watching, don't worry, there isn't."

:) That's the best piece of original comedy I've seen on these forums all evening! :)

Meanwhile, I've just noticed it's incredibly cold outside here, -5.1c and after last night's -6.7c I'm sure we'll get lower than that tonight.

As for tomorrow's snow... I'm refusing the get excited about it because then it will surprise me with how good/bad it is. :)

Posted

I'm not sure Paul but I don't think synoptically the low is a big deal, esp because several of the very snowy UKMO runs were prediciting this to occur anyway yet still had the same ENE airflow.

The big issue is more with where the upper high sets-up. With a low developing far in the Atlantic the center of the upper high is a pretty good idea as to where the surface high sets-up and the GFS is constantly too far SE for us, the ECM+UKMO have a far better set-up for the SE and so thats needs watching, I'd feel confident if the UKMO/ECM came off with this area getting snowfall..

Besides I'm willing to bet the second front provides us with some fun and games, not too potent but it'll become very slow moving...

The last few gfs operational runs were discounted by NOAA as basically a pile of rubbish! they're following the ecm and it's ensemble mean. To be honest even the no gaps has a better handle on things and that is saying something!

Posted

I wouldn't count your chicken's yet Paul,Plenty of time for thing's to change for you lot.

Only had 1mm dusting here since last Feb so would be nice to see some white stuff.

Anyway good luck you lot,plenty of Winter left for all!! :oops:

Posted

Okay points taken on board Tamara/Nick S & Darren - Just fretful that the flow looks too slack on a few models for any of the showers to penetrate further inland, I dont doubt there will be an ENE Or NE Flow just worried that places like London, Surrey, Herts etc might struggle to get anything appreciable if the flow is slack and the showers lose intensity as they move off the Coast, I am hoping that ALL Of the South East gets something out of this Cold spell and not just the favoured locations like E Essex, Coastal Suffolk, Kent and the Sussexes from the usual NE Flow.

Darren I am not too hopeful for Wednesdays Trough even holding it together by the time it gets down here atm, remember if Shaferknacker made that forecast yesterday and here we are 24 hours later in no mans land, what chance in percentage terms do we give for 48 hours away.

Paul S

Posted

Please don't shout me down but I have been watching the Models with horror. Now that they have downgraded Snow I am quite happy.[when the "storm" looked likely I nearly had a fit]

I have to take a friend to Hosp on Thurs and my Dad to Hosp for an operation on Friday.........just the thought of getting him home in thick snow filled me with dread!!

After Saturday it can Snow as much as it likes!!

First time I have ever asked for a downgrade, and I got one. lol :oops:

Sorry for everyone who was hoping to be snowed in by Thurs. Honest!

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Please don't shout me down but I have been watching the Models with horror. Now that they have downgraded Snow I am quite happy.[when the "storm" looked likely I nearly had a fit]

I have to take a friend to Hosp on Thurs and my Dad to Hosp for an operation on Friday.........just the thought of getting him home in thick snow filled me with dread!!

After Saturday it can Snow as much as it likes!!

First time I have ever asked for a downgrade, and I got one. lol whistling.gif

Sorry for everyone who was hoping to be snowed in by Thurs. Honest!

This sort of thing kind of illustrates my own thinking. I adore snow, and am known for that, but at the same time your own life still has to go on. You don't need to apologise for the timing involved with this weather.

At the end of the day, the welfare of all beings is the most important thing. I hope that your Dad gets to hospital safely and all goes well for himsmile.gif Ditto your friend too

Good luck!