Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Jayces

This sort of thing kind of illustrates my own thinking. I adore snow, and am known for that, but at the same time your own life still has to go on. You don't need to apologise for the timing involved with this weather.

At the end of the day, the welfare of all beings is the most important thing. I hope that your Dad gets to hospital safely and all goes well for himsmile.gif Ditto your friend too

Good luck!

Good awnser north sea convection I would like to introduce myself to you and everyone I am snowydays

Posted

Please don't shout me down but I have been watching the Models with horror. Now that they have downgraded Snow I am quite happy.[when the "storm" looked likely I nearly had a fit]

I have to take a friend to Hosp on Thurs and my Dad to Hosp for an operation on Friday.........just the thought of getting him home in thick snow filled me with dread!!

After Saturday it can Snow as much as it likes!!

First time I have ever asked for a downgrade, and I got one. lol :whistling:

Sorry for everyone who was hoping to be snowed in by Thurs. Honest!

I too have a hospital appointment Saturday so I am pleased that the weather seems to have changed for Norfolk. Driving in a snowstorm is no fun. It can snow on Sunday though.:cold::)

Posted

It's not a done deal yet, guys.:whistling: Look at how much further inland and developed the latest met office radar currently has the snow when compared to the BBC's own forecast at 00:00 hours! It seems they either underestimated the intensity/amount of precip, or it is much faster moving than they expected. Either way, it just goes how to show how nothing is impossible, even at this late stage.:cold:

Posted

Thing is Tamara, we were never meant to get anything until Wednesday anyway BUT and it is a big but, what further ramifications does this have further down the line for the South East, remember if the Low (Which was supposed to be in the Southern North Sea) by Tues 18z is now 100 Miles west, where does this put us for the ENE Then East flow at T96 & Further out with the High and approaching Low from the continent at the weekend. This worries me more than tomorrows event tbh

Paul S

Just watched Sky News Weather Forecast and they said that the ppn over Central and Southern parts will move into London later on Tuesday night.

They also showed snow for the SE on Wednesday.

The part you mentioned about the possible low this weekend, this is what the MetO have sent into the Croydon Council Highways Division as a severe weather warning.

Posted

This sort of thing kind of illustrates my own thinking. I adore snow, and am known for that, but at the same time your own life still has to go on. You don't need to apologise for the timing involved with this weather.

At the end of the day, the welfare of all beings is the most important thing. I hope that your Dad gets to hospital safely and all goes well for himsmile.gif Ditto your friend too

Good luck!

The Shaferknacker forecast must go down in history as 1 of the worst on record, South East, South East. I wonder what he will say next in next Sundays 'I got it wrong' of course he wont he is a weather forecaster. He may have learnt a lesson out of this... :whistling: edit: Just looked at the latest chart Friday is back on, dont panic Mr. Shaferknacker your job is as safe as the Snow in the South East.

Posted

Might as well join you guys on here, i.e. miserable corner. You do wonder to yourself sometimes how things can change so quickly. At 12z universal agreement between the GFS, ECM and UKMO for heavy snow here Wednesday morning. Now suddenly the main risk is shunted further west and we're looking at 1-2cm max if we're lucky.

I guess I'll be paying closer attention to the NAE in the future as clearly as far as precip is concerned it's in a league of its own.

Posted

It's not a done deal yet, guys.:whistling:Look at how much further inland and developed the latest met office radar currently has the snow when compared to the BBC's own forecast at 00:00 hours! It seems they either underestimated the intensity/amount of precip, or it is much faster moving than they expected. Either way, it just goes how to show how nothing is impossible, even at this late stage.:cold:

That would appear to be a 'Cheshire Gap' streamer, but I see there is METO warnings out for this. The Beeb charts have been very poor with regards to forecasting snow, they seem very reluctant to actually show where snow might happen. It might be better for them to just highlight areas and put percentages in there. Then again, they essential dug their own graves with this 'clearer weather' crap with a radar-like map, you can't accurately forecast where precip will occur in situations like this. Go back to the symbols I say! :)

Posted

Darren I am not too hopeful for Wednesdays Trough even holding it together by the time it gets down here atm, remember if Shaferknacker made that forecast yesterday and here we are 24 hours later in no mans land, what chance in percentage terms do we give for 48 hours away.

Paul S

What is most interesting is both the GFS and the UKMO/NAE strengthen the front now, for places like Suffolk it looks very 50-50 as to whether this happens in time but for Essex and Kent the models suggest the front will be slow moving with probably 2-4cms fairly widely, the NAE has a max of about 5-6cms which is bang inline with what the GFS progs.

Of course as we know things can and will change...who knows what will happen tomorrow yet alone Wednesday, I'm unsure I can say that much...just a shame the bullseye has been moved further west but there ya go.

Posted

its my birthday todaY :cold: was hoping for some snow oh well

Thank you, and to Snowdays as well.

Snow is great but there are plenty of us out there with stuff to do. My friend is a Hospice Nurse her back needs an operation and the fact that she has had 1 Car crash and fallen over 3 times in the Snow is just not funny.

As for my poor Dad it would be just his luck to have his arm operation then break his leg when getting out of the Car coming home. lol

I popped out today to get more Bird food [they are eating me out of house and home poor things] and Sainsburys was full of people stocking up. Guess that won't be needed now.

I don't mind driving in the Snow, I learned in the early 80's so was taught how to. But I watch others who have never done so with horror. Just because you have a 4x4 does not mean you are immune to black ice.

There is loads of Winter left and I'm sure this won't be the last we see of Snow.

My only tip for the cold weather is to make sure your outside tap is well wrapped, mine blew off a few years ago in low temps, so I always wrap something around it during the Winter.

Cheers everyone. :whistling:

CJ.

Ooops replied to the wrong post, but thanks everyone.

Edited by cj114

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

its my birthday todaY :good: was hoping for some snow oh well

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY anyway! You may get a late present (just how late is still heavily debatable).

Posted

lol ha ha this reminds me of an event way back in time when the SE were warned of a bad spell of snow due the following day. We woke up to nothing all hyped up abd the wind changed direction and it all ended up somewhere else i can't remember where i did not pay attention. We in the SE were looking forward to a huge snow fall and now it looks like it will not come off. Amusing to say the least still lots of winter to go and plenty of chances for more snow in the coming months.

Posted

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY anyway! You may get a late present (just how late is still heavily debatable).

thanks im going to be spending my day in the british library how rubbish is that.

Posted

lol ha ha this reminds me of an event way back in time when the SE were warned of a bad spell of snow due the following day. We woke up to nothing all hyped up abd the wind changed direction and it all ended up somewhere else i can't remember where i did not pay attention. We in the SE were looking forward to a huge snow fall and now it looks like it will not come off. Amusing to say the least still lots of winter to go and plenty of chances for more snow in the coming months.

28 Oct 2008 I think. I remember a Low pressure developed over London, and a band of snow moving south got stuck north of London for hours before fizzling out. Kent stayed completely dry and snow free whilst counties to the north had a lot of snow.

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

28 Oct 2008 I think. I remember a Low pressure developed over London, and a band of snow moving south got stuck north of London for hours before fizzling out. Kent stayed completely dry and snow free.

Oh that one tooo but i was thinking of more than 10 years ago it was big news at the time mayber Mr Data can post the dates.

Posted

Wow what a total and utter sack of crap this has turned out to be you watch the charts and then at the last minute it's whipped out from under you, makes you wonder why you bother in the first place might as well have just watched the BBC online weather forecasts

Posted

28 Oct 2008 I think. I remember a Low pressure developed over London, and a band of snow moving south got stuck north of London for hours before fizzling out. Kent stayed completely dry and snow free whilst counties to the north had a lot of snow.

That was a very unexpected event! Amazing for the time of year too. It's exactly why I refuse to look at anything with too much hope or expectation because placement is so tricky even at 12 hours notice in these events.

Posted

As I just said in the MDT I would be remain open minded with regards to tomorrow.

For example the 18.25 BBC forecast suggested the band of heavy snow would move away W. However when I watched the 22.30 forecast he said the heavy snow would move NE into the Wash area during Tues night/Wed. Now when you have such contrasting forecasts it makes tomorrow a lottery.

I feel the dilemma for the BBC is the UKMO model contradicts the NAE. The 18Z might of pushed the snow further W but don't forget the 12Z put W regions of E Anglia at risk.

Early start for me tomorrow. Infact is it worth going to bed. :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

thanks im going to be spending my day in the british library how rubbish is that.

There are no windows in there (as far as I can remember) so you may come out to a surprise! Just wait in there until Sunday and you will no doubt be lucky. :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

At the end of the day, the odds are stacked against us, but its quite clear the met are also quite unsure exactly how its going to play out. Every forecast this evening i've heard them say that there is still uncertainty about where exactly the snow will fall. 50 miles east, and a lot of us are involved. 50 miles isnt a lot in meteorological terms. Very often in the past the actual event turns out to be somewhat different to how its forecast. We arent looking for a massive shift, just 50-80 miles to the east would be fine for a lot of us.

Posted

its my birthday todaY :) was hoping for some snow oh well

Yes, a Very Happy Birthday. Perhaps someone in the West could kindly send you some?

An 8x8 Ft block should do nicely. :lazy:

I remember that one. I sent pics to my Son who was in Italy still sunbathing. He couldn't believe it. Nor could we. lol

Posted

There are no windows in there (as far as I can remember) so you may come out to a surprise! Just wait in there until Sunday and you will no doubt be lucky. :lazy:

not enough windows, as long as i dont get stuck on the trains, saw bbc forecast just now seems more positive especially for nw, hoping for some luck :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

A bit of fun...

Here's an alternative forecast based on the words seen on this forum over the last few weeks:

If you fancy having a go yourself...

http://www.wordle.net/

For snow lovers.. enjoy the 'lampost' and radar surprises over the next few days esp if you're are not expecting anything snowy:lol:

Have fun!

ooops forgot to put the words "PUB RUN" in there :lazy:

Edited by shadowcat