Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I'll have to , the Bloody NHS doesn't stop because of the weather unfortunately (unlike the local council)

You work for the NHS too? I am also expected to go in the office in a bit - I only ive 3 miles from work!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well after a clear slot it snowing heavily again! :), this looks like it could last a while :)

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I think it's gone now, the radar snows show right back to the coasts virtually.

I'm expecting another period of snow soon, streamer setup again.

oohhh if it's coming your way, we may get it too :smile.gif

Posted

Well, never seen so much snow in my life, and its still coming down

gonna set off to work in a second, although i doubt i'll get in as im on public buses

but must try

Been told the buses are not running in Manchester. Can anyone confirm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well unsurprisingly pretty much all schools and colleges are closed around here, including mine... now what to do with a whole day off in the snow? :good:

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

wysiwyg Wat's it like in chorley and how are the temps i have no weather station here but i can see some snow melt coming off next doors roof but may be he just has poor insulation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Took my wife an hour to get from Sale to Whitenshaw (normally 15min top...)...empty car park apparently at work. Awaiting confirmation we can stay at home from the office...Snow, don't you love it!

Posted

Well, never seen so much snow in my life, and its still coming down

gonna set off to work in a second, although i doubt i'll get in as im on public buses

but must try

Been told the buses are not running in Manchester. Can anyone confirm?

Really??? If that's the case then I won't be expected to go to work either!

That's the first I hear about it though...

Karyo

Posted

Oh best snow coverage is on Sky News, just seen Manchester city centre reporter and it looks as bad as ive ever seen it in the city!! He also said they have tried to get to do a report from Oldham, but couldnt get

there! Apparently the chief of gritting in Oldham has said that the Saddleworth area is a no

go area & possibly worse conditions for 25 yrs. Id say theres a least a foot of snow here, and

thats not just due to drifting as is sometimes the case

Edited by Storm Animal

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

wysiwyg Wat's it like in chorley and how are the temps i have no weather station here but i can see some snow melt coming off next doors roof but may be he just has poor insulation.

I'm pretty close to you as a rough guide. Link Below

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Eccles trams not running, not that Metrokink would bother updating their service status, colleague informed me just now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

well I've had a good nosy at todays forecast - all done and dusted by midday - anyone had any thoughts from what they've seen from the charts and radar?

Posted

Nice big streamer from the outer hebrides to northern ireland. The snow around the Isle Of Man is intensifying somewhat

Posted

Cheers for that criss ,still coming down here.drinks.gif

Posted

Snow has returned here again after a brief lull. I don't think I've ever seen so much level snow before. I have seen greater depths through drifting snow, mainly in the '80s but in terms of level snow this beats the lot. biggrin.gifcold.gif

Posted

Nice big streamer from the outer hebrides to northern ireland. The snow around the Isle Of Man is intensifying somewhat

Yes, and the band of snow just north of Manchester has now linked with the precipitation over the Irish sea!

Snowing heavily here!

Karyo

Posted

well I've had a good nosy at todays forecast - all done and dusted by midday - anyone had any thoughts from what they've seen from the charts and radar?

Well we have been forecast snow right through the day, and with intensification of the snow in the irish sea I cant really see it letting up by lunch time, metar for Liverpool has this through til at 4 pm..mind you the forecast by the beeb also show snow from north wales to south liverpool while other areas remain snow free, with the chance for snow increasing again this evening..this cold air should be entrenched for at least another 48 hours at least.

Posted

Apparently the chief of gritting in Oldham has said that the Saddleworth area is a no

go area & possibly worse conditions for 25 yrs. Id say theres a least a foot of snow here, and

thats not just due to drifting as is sometimes the case

I can imagine it being really bad up there. I'm only 8cm's short of getting a Foot here in Oldham - South Central - so going up into those hills. Unimaginable I'll bet. Although it appears very widespread around Greater Manchester to be honest with you. Some heavier falls went through South Manchester earlier in the night.

Posted

Well I'm 2 miles N of Chorley. Snowing moderately here now on top of about 2-3cm from earlier. Slushy underfoot but the new snow is settling on top of the slush. Haven't got a thermometer here either but I suspect that the ground temps are hovering just above freezing as it's slowly thawing. Mind you it was doing that in the spell before Christmas but we still ended up with 8 inches here.

Posted

Yes, and the band of snow just north of Manchester has now linked with the precipitation over the Irish sea!

Snowing heavily here!

Karyo

That should easily produce more snow here..lets hope for another streamer type scenario :cold: