Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

0.5C here , some snow melt but very little...

Posted

Hi guys just wondering how much snow in cm we will have overnight and by the end if tommorow?

Snowy, isn't this the second time in about half and hour you have asked that?.

No one knows for any one location. Watch the radar, keep this thread to hand and have a ruler ready.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I'm guessing my area could be in for a good dose of snow tonight, perhaps 10cm? the further east you are the less liekly you are to be hit by the main snow band, but you are more at risk from snow showers of the north sea if that helps

Posted

Still got a solid frost here which is nice to see!

Anyway western part of this zone needs watcing IMO, places like Guildford, Reading and Woking right on the edge of this region looks very interesting indeed it has to be said, could well be close to the bullseye...

The 06z GFS is a touch further east which brings more of thisd region into play, indeed it has the bullseye just to the west of this region but if the models came off the places I just named have every short at getting 10-20cms looking at what the models are suggesting...will make my trip to Guildford very interesting!

Further east and second front still holds interesdt, models if anything are strengthening this feature and really making it drag its heels, could take 12hrs to clear our region which could mean 3-5hrs of light-moderate snowfall.

Posted

The latest forecast on BBC24 by Laura Tobin shows the very heavy snow edging further East into London later tonight with heavy snow pushing into the SE for Wednesday (East Kent may escape the brunt).

Posted

It's going to be a lot of fun watching the southern low develop and how much it interacts with the North Sea low. With 2 centres in close proximity and eventually becoming one, there's no way of saying *exactly* where the southern centre will end up, hence the model uncertainty on the swathe of precip that will develop. Fifty miles here or there means the difference between a couple of cm and an absolute dumping for some of us.

Personally I'm not expecting any major snowfall in the Clacton area as I'm too far NE to get hammered by the developing depression although the trough may deliver 'something'. However I'm still thinking that this little system could spring major surprises as we move into the overnight period and catch a few people unawares... :)

Posted

Rather mild today.. 2 deg. C whistling.gif

Met forecast for Essex: A few light snow showers but much of the night is expected to be dry though rather cloudy. A widespread severe frost. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

eh?

Posted

So now we are starting to see MetOffice Take Action warnings what exactly do we do - I mean? Run for the hills??

The alternative being don't warn and do nothing? I think the potential for something out of the ordinary exists and of course the MetO are 100% correct to advise on it. Looking out the elderly and inform becomes a priority for some. Here's the latest for us:

London & South East England: Bracknell Forest Brighton + Hove Buckinghamshire Isle of Wight Milton Keynes Portsmouth Reading Slough Surrey W Sussex Windsor + Maidenhead Wokingham

Heavy Snow 1800 Tue 5 1100 Wed 6

Outbreaks of snow will turn heavy this evening and overnight giving fresh accumulations of 10-15 cm in places and perhaps locally in excess of 20 cm. This could cause widespread disruption to transport.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advise on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1150 Tue 5 Jan

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

To Jason in Eastbourne.

Has that precipitation arrived yet and is it snow?

Cheers c

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Let it snow. let it snow, let it snow whistling.gif just can't get that song out of my head today (lol)

Ready and waiting here in MK just hope we are not going to miss out completly. Woke up to a lovely red sky and another thick frost, it actually looks like we have had some snow now with frost on frost, really pretty.

Please let the snow start in daylight hours so I don't have to curtain twitch and lampost watch all evening and night ph34r.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Any updates for ea,se end of week?

Posted

There's a 'Take Action' warning for Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Southampton and W Berkshire, warning of falls in excess of a foot!

She said a foot and a half in many places, I couldnt believe my ears. Even if we don't get that here in Herts. it will be amazing to see that tomorrow in England when was the last time of that amount 1978?

I just hope that people now are taking the warnings seriously and are very careful. Folk on this forum were aware days ago about this but the B.B.C. have been slow to issue warnings imo. I want to :yahoo: but hope no deaths occur out of this extreme weather.

Posted

The alternative being don't warn and do nothing? I think the potential for something out of the ordinary exists and of course the MetO are 100% correct to advise on it.

Absolutely agree - phoned my mother this morning to see if she needed anything.

Just can't remember the last time I saw a take action alert. We could well be in for a few interesting days!

Posted

Any updates for ea,se end of week?

Looks much the same... but now we have Met warnings for Essex and Kent from Weds to Sat biggrin.gif

Wouldn't discount tonight yet!

Posted

Has that precipitation arrived yet and is it snow?

Cheers c

Just had a text from a relative off Eastbourne seafront - it has started to snow!!! :yahoo:

Posted

She said a foot and a half in many places, I couldnt believe my ears. Even if we don't get that here in Herts. it will be amazing to see that tomorrow in England when was the last time of that amount 1978?

I just hope that people now are taking the warnings seriously and are very careful. Folk on this forum were aware days ago about this but the B.B.C. have been slow to issue warnings imo. I want to :yahoo: but hope no deaths occur out of this extreme weather.

There could be more than a foot and a half in places

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Just had a text from a relative just off Eastbourne seafront - it has started to snow!!! :yahoo:

That's great Coast as there is always a risk of rain on the seafront.

Posted

Looking out the elderly and inform becomes a priority for some.

Yup, making sure you've got a few supplies and checking on anyone who might not be able to get their own.

Will be interesting to see how St Albans does from this: we've always managed, somehow, to get in on the act if it's anywhere close (we're pretty high here), but will it be the same this time?