Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Official downgrade on snow from met office

Really. They just issued an update at 16:33 so what has changed?

Posted

Well this morning I had a feeling the 06Z GFS was onto something. Looking at the sat/radar and im 100% convinced the heavy band of snow will hit Sussex into London. This will then move N (uncertain how much) during the night and affect Herts, Beds, Bucks then into parts of the E Midlands i,e Northants.

Now whilst all of this is going on a another band of snow will be moving S from the N Sea and will affect Cambs, Norfolk during the night. These two bands of snow are likely to merge before moving S to affect the rest of the region. I can see snow being persistant for much of this region for tomorrow.

any idear of how much snow sussex may get is it more than what the meto predict?

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Well this morning I had a feeling the 06Z GFS was onto something. Looking at the sat/radar and im 100% convinced the heavy band of snow will hit Sussex into London. This will then move N (uncertain how much) during the night and affect Herts, Beds, Bucks then into parts of the E Midlands i,e Northants.

Now whilst all of this is going on a another band of snow will be moving S from the N Sea and will affect Cambs, Norfolk during the night. These two bands of snow are likely to merge before moving S to affect the rest of the region. I can see snow being persistant for much of this region for tomorrow.

Do you think it is more likely to be rain on the Sussex coast though ? I note that it is raining in the Portsmouth / Southampton area

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

From the forecast I have just seen on N24 it does'nt look like us in the extreme SE will get much.

They haven't used the latest nae or model data , wait till the next forecast or at best 6.25+

Posted

Still fully expecting quite a big area to average out between 10-20cms...the NAE isn't quite so keen on those huge 40cms totals simply because its a bit better in terms of movement of the front northwards, its actually something of an upgrade for our region...share the wealth so to speak...

I'm still willing to bet quite a few places get big falls...

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

Between Bickley and Bromley Common

Jan

Kewl pretty close then :lol: - I plan on taking a stroll in the "Heavy Snow" (assuming we get it tomorrow) with the camera. Hope it's like last Feb...

DS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Chief METO guy on BBC News 24 now

Posted

Still fully expecting quite a big area to average out between 10-20cms...the NAE isn't quite so keen on those huge 40cms totals simply because its a bit better in terms of movement of the front northwards, its actually something of an upgrade for our region...share the wealth so to speak...

I'm still willing to bet quite a few places get big falls...

Hi Kold How is this likely to compare with Feb last year? We got around 4 inches (poss more) out of that one...

DS

Posted

Do you think it is more likely to be rain on the Sussex coast though ? I note that it is raining in the Portsmouth / Southampton area

Depends on how heavy the precip is, it is going to be somewhat marginal though because you've got a hefty onshore flow which is going to make everything that bit more marginal from the looks of things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I don't think anyone in this area was going to get 40cm anyway, but I think I might be able to get a good 20cm from this! plus with a top up from Friday who knows! drinks.gif

Posted

Stupid BBC weather now it's saying it's like a curve and is going to completely miss west Kent anybody disagree with that????

Yea,i do,even if we miss the most today we would have to be b****d unlucky to miss everything:)

Posted

London Evening Standard forecasting "extreme weather warning for 18 inches of snow" lol

They win Press ramp of the day award so far....

DS

Posted

its a nightmare lol every N24 forecast is changing by the hour

And that's why it's no use asking 'will it snow in?' or 'how much will I get?'

THE FORECAST AND THE WEATHER ARE CHANGING AS WE WRITE

When we all wake up tomorrow morning 90% of us will be very happy bunnies, the other 10% will be bus or train drivers!

Posted

That front across the south is now stalling and pepping up! :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Evening everyone,

The rain in Portsmouth is turning a bit sleety but not sure how long that will last, nice to see anything remotely white in Portsmouth, even the frost!

Posted
:wallbash::cold::shok::shok: Edited by Coast
Sorry Neil - BBC copywrite probs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

London Evening Standard forecasting "extreme weather warning for 18 inches of snow" lol

May look a bit of an overstatement now given the recent downgrades on amounts...I suppose at time of print they were going with what they had. oops.gif

Posted

Hopefully more people will be happier with the latest NE developments...

OT, but a CAPITAL T forTasty with this little fella from the UKMO...:rofl:

UKMO 120 Chart

Nice...

TUE - J

Oh yes.

Thats got Thames Streamer written all over it. Perfect flow. :whistling: