Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

hhm missed me.. am i correct in saying its currently snowing in the Far south/ sw like just inland from portsmouth and that?

God knows mate, guess so but I'm not close to Portsmouth though. iPhone is going slow so can't see radar etc.

Posted

BAA are wrried as are NATS...but the skies mus go on. alternate airports will be interesting tomorrow.

As for the latst N24 forecst people in c south have to be disappointed at the moment.

Home countis will receive an absolute copious amount with snow likely all evening night and most of tomorrow.

The downgrades appear to be for Southampton region at the moment...though id still expect more than 1cm snow. Certainly the expected as i departed was 20cm!

Very interesting model outputs to come but as 18z approaches this is a nowcast. SE couldnt have wished for such a late last minute upgrade actually.

God this is all more painful than watching Eurovision results.

Posted

Rain ? Are you sure?

yep with a little sleet in it but it aint snow! Should be fine though for leter on tonight as temps drop a bit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow - I'm an 80 year old kid at heart!

Down-grading the snowfall in the west country already, and it looks as if Suffolk and Norfolk will not see any of this snowfall.

Norfolk may get some showers off the North Sea tomorrow, but Suffolk looks clear enough in the latest pictures on BBC News (Channel 80) for me to risk taking the local Community Bus to Bury St. Edmunds and back during tomorrow.

Still, things could change by the morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Chucking it down with rain here

hope it turns to snow for you tonight, everyones forgetting this massive amount of precipitation could just end up as rain...

still id say it should turn to snow later tonight with 850 temps dropping

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Snow being reported by local BBC 3 Counties Radio 4 miles SW of Buckingham, settling on raods.

Should be with me soon then, all the cloud has been blowing over from that direction this afternoon yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

That ppn seems to be heading straight for London!

Posted

Chucking it down with rain here

Oh, that'll be here soon then ;-(

Wow after making headlines and national news. That'll look like some blunder!

Edited by rmc1987

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Just had a lady from the MET office on Smooth FM news at 5 (not my choice at work!) saying that London can expect 2-5cm tonightunknw.gif

Think I will stick with the people in the know for the best advice on totals in the SE....right here!!drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Right............ Everyone is so interested in what is happening in the Channel (exept 'Eye In The Sky') Dave I believe! To the North of our region we have Sprunehorpe and N Lincs which has been pounded with heavy, frequent snow showers all day - fed by a North sea Streamer. This whole area is slowly moving South towards The Wash and EA. I agree with Dave that this will bring Cambrigdeshire snowfall tonight and into tomorrow.

We were lucky in this area last February, with lots of frequent snowfall over a period of almost 2 weeks. I know that we are not in the main event area tonight, BUT things can and DO change in these scenarios - almost anything can happen. The only thing to do is WAIT AND SEE and Nowcast here.

Edited by Mark Burton

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

That ppn seems to be heading straight for London!

It was yes , but it's stalled now

Posted

The Beeb latest forecast once again shows marginal conditions up eastern and central S.Essex as the onshore flow makes it more marginal...

Hopefully snow on the ground will help to drag temps to the right side of marginal...

Either way this could be quite a impressive snowfall for some, 9-12 inches seems probable still in the bullseye zone to the west of London...

Still very much a nowcast situation however it has to be said. Hoping locally that conditions are the right side of marginal, don't want to see sleet ruin the snowcover from the first part of the band...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just had a lady from the MET office on Smooth FM news at 5 (not my choice at work!) saying that London can expect 2-5cm tonightunknw.gif

Think I will stick with the people in the know for the best advice on totals in the SE....right here!!drinks.gif

and the people at the met office obviously know nothing about the weather? :cold:

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

16.33.and 16.53 updates, text to the right clearly shifts the main threat a little further E/NE. Downgraded somewhat for s'oton but still advisory for extreme weather event in many parts of region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So it looks like the 12Z continued with the trend from the 06Z.

This band of heavy snow looks to hit London head on. We then see this move N with again the S limit being S Cambs. This band then seems to move into the Midlands but as it does so we see the band from the N hit Cambs, Norfolk. The GFS indicates these bands of snow merging before moving S into the rest of the region for tomorrow.

Looking at the sat/radar im even more confident of my forecast this morning.

When and whereabouts will the 2 bands merge TEITS? From what you are saying would it be just S of Kings Lynn or further west?

Posted

hope it turns to snow for you tonight, everyones forgetting this massive amount of precipitation could just end up as rain...

still id say it should turn to snow later tonight with 850 temps dropping

I think you'll find with the embedded conditions it will be impossible for the precipitation to all just end up as rain.

In Reading in about 30-1 hour minutes heavy snow I would imagine.

Posted

yep with a little sleet in it but it aint snow! Should be fine though for leter on tonight as temps drop a bit

That milder air should mix its self out soon,the centre of the low should be a little further N and E if you have sleet there ? :unknw::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

One thing is for sure whoever gets whatever tonight come breakfast news in the morning there will be snow reports from somewhere, with an outside broadcast from a place cut off in the snow (but the presenter and camera man somehow got through) and a report from a council depot where there is little or no salt left !

Just hope there is nothing more serious for them to report, take care everyone and wrap up warm cold.gif

Posted

It was yes , but it's stalled now

and is moving north through hampshire !! :unknw:

My shovel is at the ready!

Posted

For those that have rain, its quite possible the temps around the Thames Valley have been made marginal esp as its still only just eveing time.

Once you get any decent sort of precip coming in it'll turn quite readily to snow.

Posted

My M.D. has just gone home and said 'see you in the morning!'

Yeah, right :unknw: