Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

oooh yes i think we may have :)

its coming down moderately here too! clap.gif

Yes i think we have hit the Jack Pot, it's also snowing moderately here in Bromsgrove , it's sticking to anything even the trees which for something in my area rarely happens due to my elevation.

I'm keeping a REAL close eye on that little band heading west.

Got to be 3 to 4 inch's now in some parts roads are just a death trap.

:)

:)

Edited by mildmuck

Posted

Yeah. One guy at work got a call from his wife saying the snow was pretty bad in Coventry and her car was stuck. We were all laughing at work thinking she was joking because there's just a dusting outside. I'm hopeful that the stuff further south with give us a decent covering. Hope you're enjoying it smile.gif

lol its wasnt bad to start with but it got moderate from 5 pm onwards slowed down a bit now.but im still confused why ppl near us are not reporting the same kind of snowfall?unknw.gif

Edited by Rommy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Absolutely mental here. Just took the dog for a walk and there is 5cm on the pavements now, really good crunching under foot snow :)

Agreed...I've worked in Leicester many times, and they're all mental :)

but all very nice people as well **he quickly adds ** :)

Posted

Here's how I'm expecting the situation to evolve over the next few hours. Remaining dry across Northamptonshire for the next few hours with winds beginning to pick up from the NE. As we head into Wednesday, shortly after midnight some heavy snow will push up from the south engulfing the south and west of the county in particular. I would expect 2-3 inches in places as we go through the night particularly across Northampton, Towcester, Brackley and Daventry. Further north and east, the likes of Kettering and Corby will likely be too far north and east to benefit from this band and as such will remain dry. Later in the morning, another front will feed in and this could bring another inch of snow to many parts of the county including spots further north and east which will have avoided much of tonight's snowfall.

Posted

I reckon that me and those in stourbridge and to the SouthWest of Brimingham may see light/moderate snow untill after midnight.

I'm hoping that the Met Office's "Super-Extreme-Snow-Band" will clip us as is strides towards Wiltshire, going futher north than forecast. :)

Lets hope so, I had 3.5cm after the earlier dump probably got about 5.5cm now. The showers at the moment seem to get stronger then ease off a bit then back on again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Agreed...I've worked in Leicester many times, and they're all mental :)

but all very nice people as well **he quickly adds ** :)

:):):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Finally some half decent snowfall here now, fairly small flakes but it's coming down quite thick.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Heavy snow again. Tbh i think here could see snow for much of the night.

I wouldnt be so sure. You must be very close to the North West limit of the snow.

I drove in snow from Cradley thru Merry hill at 5:30pm... (roads practically deserted!!) and the snow stops as soon as you get the other side of Wordsley. We've not any any snow since I got home a couple of hours ago and Shropshire and Telford seem snowless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Here's how I'm expecting the situation to evolve over the next few hours. Remaining dry across Northamptonshire for the next few hours with winds beginning to pick up from the NE. As we head into Wednesday, shortly after midnight some heavy snow will push up from the south engulfing the south and west of the county in particular. I would expect 2-3 inches in places as we go through the night particularly across Northampton, Towcester, Brackley and Daventry. Further north and east, the likes of Kettering and Corby will likely be too far north and east to benefit from this band and as such will remain dry. Later in the morning, another front will feed in and this could bring another inch of snow to many parts of the county including spots further north and east which will have avoided much of tonight's snowfall.

*Chris Tarrant style*

Is that your final answer? You do realise that the heavy band of snow is about 10 miles South of Northants right now and heading North don't you? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Just went for another observation and the situation is getting better for me, but deteriorating for drivers! Snow depths climbing above 2" now with heavy snowfall affecting this region. I can only imagine what it's like across central southern counties right now! It will be chaos tomorrow morning, just chaos. The snow has picked up considerably here. Hopefully other people on here from Birmingham can confirm these reports. Things have developed quickly in the last 30-45mins.

Yes i Can confirm this :lol: At the moment its just this powdery, moderate fine snow that has blanketed everything. As the traffic has reduced, the roads are not coping now. Interesting stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some 7cm or so here now with no let up in the snow and plenty more to come! Thank you weather gods! :lol:

Posted

*Chris Tarrant style*

Is that your final answer? You do realise that the heavy band of snow is about 10 miles South of Northants right now and heading North don't you? :lol:

I hope you're right ;D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Radar not showing it but snow just got heavy here and bigger flakes about time! :-D. Hopefully plenty more to come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I hope you're right ;D

He is.....still pivoting around the low..I'm in mid-staffs, and precip is hitting me from the NE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Fairly heavy snow now, hopefully this will stick around for a while to give a cm or two.

Posted

Well, after the snow started about 4.30pm, and we had about a 45 minute of moderate snow, dumping around 1cm during this period.

With the light ppn, which has continued before and afterwards (and still now) we have generally between 1-2cm. However, the light ppn is this really fine snow, where cover and depth takes quite a while to build.

Interesting note on the band down south. Progression is quick, either not dumping as much as planned, or possibly (or more hopefully) moving further north.

Overall, worth the wait for here. Would have been cool to have had the heavier and more prolonged showers, but you can't win all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Yes i Can confirm this :whistling: At the moment its just this powdery, moderate fine snow that has blanketed everything. As the traffic has reduced, the roads are not coping now. Interesting stuff.

Just been out for a snow walk with the kids - fantastic snow depths and it's still coming down! My husband had to help push a car up a bit of a hill near us, it's not good for drivers in brum tonight.

Posted

amazing out there! longest contious snow i have ever encoutered.... chucking it down with atleast 3 inches and much more on untouched spots!yahoo.gif

Posted

*Chris Tarrant style*

Is that your final answer? You do realise that the heavy band of snow is about 10 miles South of Northants right now and heading North don't you? :whistling:

It's moving faster than expected Andy but still won't reach here for a good while yet!

If it does arrive earlier than my forecast then this can only be a good thing for snowfall amounts and I will have to revise them upwards. Rampety ramp. :80:

Posted

Heavy snow here again huge flakes and -0.2C. At last a snowfall that isnt melting as soon as its stopped! Got to be pushing around 3 inches now. This cold spell.....DELIVERS!

Posted

Heavy snow in Hereford now. Impressive.

Same here in Droitwich Worcs! Significant peppage in the last ten minutes - I make that 3hrs+ of continuous falling snow mostly light but with heavier bursts now and again :whistling:

One eye on the radar the other on the lamppost...