Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Birds are having a riot out on the bird table and bird feeders fighting over the food that's just been put out for them biggrin.gif

Nice one, I believe that many do not realise how much of threat sustained cold weather is to birds, especially smaller species, I always clear a space safe away from cats early in morning and late afternoon,

Frequent fresh unfrozen water also essential if no streams/rivers etc are nearby!

Posted

Thankfully the snow isn't melting anywhere near as much as i previously thought.My local forecast said a few more cm's of snow during the day and night.

Posted

2.5c temp, and 1.6 dew, i'm not too bothered about the temp, but whats going on with the dews!! I would understand off a light breeze, but a stronger wind/flow = less modification? obviously can't be true lol.

Lewis

Ok Lewis, I have checked my 2 stations and I'm registering 2C give or take and both have -3c Dew Points -now I have also checked 3 or 4 other stations I know around here on Wunderground and they are the same - my take on this is that your humidity sensor is out or your thermometer out or a combination of faulty equipment and software. The DP is dropping and has been for the last 5-6 hours. I think a look at the equipment is definatly in order mate. If its any help I will be back online mine shortly with full live data from WD, when my serial card turns up which should be today or tomorrow. regards Chris

:D

Posted

Do we know what the forecast is for tomorrow, last night BBC was saying that on Thursday the east side was going to be hit really hard due to a developing low, this morning on BBC radio Lincs they were just forecasting a few snow flurries now.

Regards

Les

Posted

Ok Lewis, I have checked my 2 stations and I'm registering 2C give or take and both have -3c Dew Points -now I have also checked 3 or 4 other stations I know around here on Wunderground and they are the same - my take on this is that your humidity sensor is out or your thermometer out or a combination of faulty equipment and software. The DP is dropping and has been for the last 5-6 hours. I think a look at the equipment is definatly in order mate. If its any help I will be back online mine shortly with full live data from WD, when my serial card turns up which should be today or tomorrow. regards Chris

:yahoo:

Ask yourself this then lol, how can something be so accurate for the past 2days after i sorted it out, and then all of a sudden it stops working again, it's giving me data. 2.6c temp 93% humidity, even the humidity formula equals too 1.6c dew point.

It dont matter though, because i just went to shop and it was light snow and graupel, no rain at all.

Lewis

Posted

we have it all, rain sleet snow,and a cold wind. i have also heard that from 9pm tonight there is a chance of snow, but i will probably be rain//sleet

Posted

Developing low is much further south on the 00z which means the precipitation will be more over eastern lincs and s lincs/east anglia.

Hope this changes and it gives us all something :)

lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Well, after a disappointing day yesterday, overnight provided a very impressive amount of snowfall in Louth - I would think around 3-4cm (I know, not that impressive in national terms but better than I expected.) Thursday forecast is a bit puzzling - last night it looked bad, this morning it's being forecast as a few light snow flurries.EDIT - ah - I see Lewis' post above. That might explain it! To be fair, Friday, Saturday and Sunday all looked better, so it might just be the sort of short-term changes these spells of weather always produce.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted

Developing low is much further south on the 00z which means the precipitation will be more over eastern lincs and s lincs/east anglia.

lewis

Are you talking about the showers up north moving more south to effect most of us later mate?

Posted

Are you talking about the showers up north moving more south to effect most of us later mate?

Im talking about "Thursdays" so called pasting, all the hype on the BBC past few days, comes 1 day before it, and it looks like it's a non event all but a few snow showers.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I think he is refering yo Thursdays more general precipitation.smile.gif

Posted

Im talking about "Thursdays" so called pasting, all the hype on the BBC past few days, comes 1 day before it, and it looks like it's a non event all but a few snow showers.

Lewis

Up to 5" now after last nights top up

WF6

Posted

lewis

i just wish it was pure snow instead of all this rain/sleet. lol

Posted

I think he is refering yo Thursdays more general precipitation.smile.gif

There's wasn't any mention of snow on the forecast i saw a while ago for thursday :)

edit ive seen lewis's post

Edited by sufc

Posted

Had 7cm overnite to add to the 16cm already on the ground.

Great snow though it just flies off the car like powder.

Never seen our cul de sac so deep in snow.

Followed the 4x4 tracks this morning otherwise a day at home.

In Otltey at present and cloud building to the north. Radar looking promising again...clap.gif

Posted

There must have been at least an inch of new snow last night on top of the 5-6 inches that fell yesterday in Cleckheaton. This came as a surprise as I wasn't expecting any fresh snow, never mind another inch!

In Leeds there also appears to have been at least another inch of fresh snow over night.

Looking on the radar, it appears that there could be a few showers over here in the next hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

sadly you cannot have, usually much of a breeze, and get low overnight temps-the dewpoint is very much less affected by wind speed compared to the temperature.

very low overnight mins may not occur in spite of the snow cover for most due to a breeze off the North Sea.

Thanks John,

Was a little surprised it was above freezing though. However, that said, I have been out and there is no thaw and, since I have been back, the temp has dropped 0.3°C in the last ten minutes and is now 0.9°C so I guess the continental ir is making its presence felt now.

Posted

Ask yourself this then lol, how can something be so accurate for the past 2days after i sorted it out, and then all of a sudden it stops working again, it's giving me data. 2.6c temp 93% humidity, even the humidity formula equals too 1.6c dew point.

It dont matter though, because i just went to shop and it was light snow and graupel, no rain at all.

Lewis

Have a look a these registering stations - this may point out whats happening - http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=53.31000137&lon=-0.55000001&zoom=10

Posted

Have a look a these registering stations - this may point out whats happening - http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=53.31000137&lon=-0.55000001&zoom=10

Will do mate,

Dew has dropped too 0.9c so it's dropping a lot, maybe its just your North of me, and so is Beverley, so the dews and colder air is filtering :drinks:

Lewis

GFS 06z a slight upgrade for precipitation tomorrow, has the LP a little further N and E, kind of game on if you live about 30 miles from the coast.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

There's wasn't any mention of snow on the forecast i saw a while ago for thursday cc_confused.gif

edit ive seen lewis's post

Do not fret.Go on to UKWW website,go to synopyic discussion by PJB beautifully explains the current situation.3 days of convective showers to come matebiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Will do mate,

Dew has dropped too 0.9c so it's dropping a lot, maybe its just your North of me, and so is Beverley, so the dews and colder air is filtering smile.gif

Lewis

Lewis,

DP dropping like a stone here, now -4.2°C with temp at 0.9°C - they have both been dropping rapidly in the last half hour.

Hope this helps.

Posted

Lewis,

DP dropping like a stone here, now -4.2°C with temp at 0.9°C - they have both been dropping rapidly in the last half hour.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much :lol: temp and dew point dropping rapidly here also 1.8c and a 0.6 dew point.

:drinks:

Lewis

Posted

Do not fret.Go on to UKWW website,go to synopyic discussion by PJB beautifully explains the current situation.3 days of convective showers to come matebiggrin.gif

Im just concerned about the temp and slow thaw mate.