Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

In Cardiff there is 8inches of snow never mind in the valleys and there is many more hours to go, 16inches(40cm) could actually be achieved in Wales.

Very jealous.

I'm content with my 3.5cm though (just measured outside) :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Looking at the GFS 00z, -10 850 air seems to be flooding in behind the snow band tomorrow from the NE. So hopefully there'll be little or no daytime thawing of snow!

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100106/00/21/h850t850eu.png

Edited by danm

Posted

Anyone still up in Kent? Doing the night shift in Sandwich and have had very little snow :p Am I likely to get any for my drive home to Herne Bay?

Nothing substantial I'm afraid. Rush hour tomorrow afternoon onwards looks good for Kent with the occlusion + trough heading se and potentially stalling over the east of the county.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Very jealous.

I'm content with my 3.5cm though (just measured outside) tongue.gif

Lol just went out and measured. Now 9inches of snow with over 1 foot drifts against Garden Fence. I think its about time met office issued extreme warnings here instead of back east.

Posted

Nothing substantial I'm afraid. Rush hour tomorrow afternoon onwards looks good for Kent with the occlusion + trough heading se and potentially stalling over the east of the county.

Thanks Mikel

Not back at work till Friday 0600 so can sit at home and enjoy whatever snow we do get :p

Posted

GFS 00z looking great for us on Saturday you guys...http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/Rtavn842.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Anyone still up in Kent? Doing the night shift in Sandwich and have had very little snow :p Am I likely to get any for my drive home to Herne Bay?

It may not be plain sailing. All depends what time your shift finishes, but there is an arm of ppn that looks like it wants to sweep into Kent. Not heavy right now, but you never know. Take care either way mate.

GFS 00z looking great for us on Saturday you guys...http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/Rtavn842.png

Completely forgot about the 00z!

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

Check this out! http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100106/00/90/h850t850eu.png

Thats a right ol E/NE blast! Sub -10 850's

Posted

Looking blooming chilly as far as Sunday, looks like a lot of this snow will hang around for a while.

(EDIT: Just as I was about to call it a night, the ppn seems to be building as it heads towards me. Might have to give it another 10 mins or so. :p You never know, it may be proper snow this time!)

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

As ive just stirred i thought i would have a peek outside, Bleurgh! 2c with slight drizzle and all the slight snow from earlier is gone, this has been the warmest night of the last 7 days here, think il go back to bed!

Posted

right....that's me done for the night!!! Just checked the lamp post.....and it's snowing again (southgate, N london). Night

Posted

Looking blooming chilly as far as Sunday, looks like a lot of this snow will hang around for a while.

Not just that, but with such a strong E/NE'erly flow there's bound to be plenty of convection and heavy snow showers.

Posted

It may not be plain sailing. All depends what time your shift finishes, but there is an arm of ppn that looks like it wants to sweep into Kent. Not heavy right now, but you never know. Take care either way mate.

That band just south of London certainly has been pepping up over the last hour or so Sno. But the centre of the low is now on its south westward track and is pulling that band with it. I don't think it's going to get much further north or east than it already is. :p

How have you done from tonight?

Posted

That band just south of London certainly has been pepping up over the last hour or so Sno. But the centre of the low is now on its south westward track and is pulling that band with it. I don't think it's going to get much further north or east than it already is. :p

It looks as though it should reach the northern extent of london before pulling SW. I think we're in for a little bit more snow in the next hour. Probably not amounting to more than a cm or so.

Posted

is this afternoon/tonight still on for the far South East Corner? East Kent? It's meant to pass over us and give us some snow isn't it?

Posted

Almost on cue, the frozen rain is beginning to turn back to snow. All is not lost. :rofl:

Posted

is this afternoon/tonight still on for the far South East Corner? East Kent? It's meant to pass over us and give us some snow isn't it?

Another band of snow is meant to push south from the North Sea and hit parts of East Anglia, Essex, London, Herts, along the M4 and then push down south into E/W Sussex and Kent in the evening. Kent should see snow tomorrow evening. Places further north during the afternoon.

Posted

Thanks Sno

I finish at 0630 but I think I will be driving my girlfriend to work in Canterbury again before going to bed :rofl: Concentrating on the icy roads keeps you wide awake.

Posted

Light snow has started again. Not sure how heavy this is gonna get. Might see another cm top-up if we're lucky, before it pushes away W/SW.

Posted

That band just south of London certainly has been pepping up over the last hour or so Sno. But the centre of the low is now on its south westward track and is pulling that band with it. I don't think it's going to get much further north or east than it already is. :rofl:

There is a slight covering on the roofs and some patches on the flor are still holding out, but the temp is beginning to drop again, and there are more flakes in the air. About 1/2" I reckon as an average, but expecting more. How about you?

Posted

Another band of snow is meant to push south from the North Sea and hit parts of East Anglia, Essex, London, Herts, along the M4 and then push down south into E/W Sussex and Kent in the evening. Kent should see snow tomorrow evening. Places further north during the afternoon.

Ok thankyou for the info. just off to bed now for a couple of hours and up again at 7 to get the children to school but if its open do I send them in is the dilemma I'm in because of more snow forecast for Herts? If I ask them I wonder what they want to do lol :rofl:

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted

Snowing steadily in the square mile

Posted

Ok thankyou for the info. just off to bed now for a couple of hours and up again at 7 to get the children to school but if its open do I send them in is the dilemma I'm in because of more snow forecast for Herts? If I ask them I wonder what they want to do lol:doh:

Its hard to say really. It depends how much snow there will be, and im not too sure. Possibly 3-5cm's? Its unlikely to be a complete dumping, but I could be wrong.