Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

:cc_confused:

Had about 4cm here, which is dissappointing considering the potential but I feel sorry for those yet to have any, though still time today,

The low managed to perfectly spiral around Yeovil(BA21) so some parts os Somerset must have a foot of the stuff!

Posted

WOW is all i can say..We are totaly snowed in here i have not seen so much snow in yrs.. no mention of the SW on the news, feel like i want to go coooooeeeeeeeeeee people do live down here you know.

Its so much fun been out and took some pics was ankel deep

kaz x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Well, that's what you call a dumping. I may try and get some photos later. I haven't been out, but it looks as if at least a several inches have fallen, everything white. Almost looks on par with February, maybe slightly less. A pretty keen northeasterly wind also which is causing drifting. It looks as if I was very lucky. It seems as if I was caught on the very eastern edge of the snow band. I do feel sorry for people in Dorset. But yeah, first dumping of the winter yahoo.gif

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted

Morning all good see a lot of snow in the SW (even if I've got not much, just a slight covering here atm)

Devon looks like it's getting plasted atm.

The Arch looks like it's now moving away SW (asper the NAE 00Z guidance), it's moving westwards now and south. The good news for Dorset is that it's likely to now at last move across the one area of snowless SW England during the next 6 hrs. Latest NAE guidance again gives 6cm for N.Dorset and 2CM for S.Dorset, a Decent amount still for Devon and Somerset. Gloucestershire and our northern SW contingent won't be getting much more now but it looks like they've had a fair bit anyway.

Posted

Blowing snow here and must have been quite steady overnight as an inch or more has been added ! Snow has stuck to everything so a glorious sight !

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Had about 2-3" here in Weston which is not bad. Got to try and get to work in Nailsea, boss said we have got to try.

Anyone in Nailsea area can tell me how it is there?

Posted

Looks to me like we've had somewhere between 15 and 20cms here in cheltenham, though I imagine there will be considerably more in the outlying parts

SK

Posted

Snow coming in from virtually every angle at different stages but Weymouth stays snowless and not even in with a chance looking at the trajectory.

It's a cruel cruel blow when you consider it is down to just pure bad luck and not based on my geographical location (for once). It's not as though we're usually blessed with the white stuff anyway! May change but unless that low suddenly decides to pull away on a more SE direction which it ain't going to.

On a purely selfish note, be careful what you wish for. I have been going on for ages about the potential of a shortwave forming off th back of the occluded front which passed south yesterday. It happened but then took up residence it exactly the wrong place (for me anyway). A 1 in a 100 chance.

STILL waiting for my first snowflake this winter but all that aside, I am chuffed that so many people got in on the action, enjoy! :nonono:

I feel your pain mate, the last 24 hours has been a complete nightmare for Dorset :cc_confused:

Posted

haha watching sky news reporter in the snow saying how bad it is where he is ... He should come here 100% worse here suppose if it dosent happen in london then it dosent happen at all,,, Link road is shut now untill they can get more gritters down here.

kaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Morning all good see a lot of snow in the SW (even if I've got not much, just a slight covering here atm)

Devon looks like it's getting plasted atm.

The Arch looks like it's now moving away SW (asper the NAE 00Z guidance), it's moving westwards now and south. The good news for Dorset is that it's likely to now at last move across the one area of snowless SW England during the next 6 hrs. Latest NAE guidance again gives 6cm for N.Dorset and 2CM for S.Dorset, a Decent amount still for Devon and Somerset. Gloucestershire and our northern SW contingent won't be getting much more now but it looks like they've had a fair bit anyway.

how much is the nae predicting Somerset to get today Iceberg? More than 6cm still?

We have about 3 inches maybe more here in wells!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

I feel your pain mate, the last 24 hours has been a complete nightmare for Dorset :cc_confused:

Yep I feel really sad that we missed out like this. The number of kids which were praying for snow are going to feel really hard done by (including the grown ups). It is hard to believe any further forecast for snow in this area, even if it is for 2cm or not! :nonono:

Posted

Heavy light snow again here, topping up the dusting from earlier on last night after which the skies cleared.

Hopefully that big blob will come this way, but it looks as though it may just miss us to the west. I think Dartmoor Matt could get a pasting if it holds up cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

Had about 2-3" here in Weston which is not bad. Got to try and get to work in Nailsea, boss said we have got to try.

Anyone in Nailsea area can tell me how it is there?

Well i live in clevedon, id say from what i can see its pretty bad, maybe 5-7 inches. all bus services have stopped so i cant get to work, but for those who are driving id say be very careful, avoid if possible, all though i havent actually seen the state the roads are in.

Posted

Yep I feel really sad that we missed out like this. The number of kids which were praying for snow are going to feel really hard done by (including the grown ups). It is hard to believe any further forecast for snow in this area, even if it is for 2cm or not! mega_shok.gif

3 inches of Snow in Shaftesbury - So DORSET hasn't completely missed out!!!

Posted

Yep I feel really sad that we missed out like this. The number of kids which were praying for snow are going to feel really hard done by (including the grown ups). It is hard to believe any further forecast for snow in this area, even if it is for 2cm or not! :lol:

Exactly, yesterday evening there were list of closed schools being red out on 2CR and we have not had a flake, that was due to the major alert given by the Met Office yesterday.

Still plenty of time yet as this cold spell don't look like letting up soon.

Posted

Well i live in clevedon, id say from what i can see its pretty bad, maybe 5-7 inches. all bus services have stopped so i cant get to work, but for those who are driving id say be very careful, avoid if possible, all though i havent actually seen the state the roads are in.

Cheers mate, don't suppose you know whether any buses in the area are operating, or how do you find out?

Posted

Cheers mate, don't suppose you know whether any buses in the area are operating, or how do you find out?

No buses are operating, all services currently suspended. you can be up dated at http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/southwest/bristol/service_disruptions/?item=7961but it web site is taking VERY HEAVY traffic and isnt really working at the mo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Exactly, yesterday evening there were list of closed schools being red out on 2CR and we have not had a flake, that was due to the major alert given by the Met Office yesterday.

Still plenty of time yet as this cold spell don't look like letting up soon.

Not sure about that lol ! If you take a peek on the General Model discussion, someone has posted a chart for next Monday which basically looks as though the whole of the south gets snow/rain and you can clearly see another arch of dryness over Dorset. Have we aquired some kind of snow shield lol?

Edit - looking at the chart again, I can't work out if that is temp rather than snow/rain! Ohhh, being snowless has made me confused.

Edited by Snowkissed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Sure we just had Thundersnow, with lightning

Posted

3 inches of Snow in Shaftesbury - So DORSET hasn't completely missed out!!!

Yes - just noticed that - I might just go and see it - enjoy :lol:

Posted

No buses are operating, all services currently suspended. you can be up dated at http://www.firstgrou...s/?item=7961but it web site is taking VERY HEAVY traffic and isnt really working at the mo.

Thanks again

Posted

Thanks again

No probs:)Snow still falling heavy here. hope it keeps up all day, may as well do a proper job as were all stranded anyway, snow us in !!!!!!!!

Posted

Had a real pasting in North Bristol and my work is shut. Still snowing and will do for a while. WOW !!!!!

Spot on forcasting from Ian and Richard on BBC Bristol and the Met Office for here good.gif

Look at that arc of ppn exactly as predicted !!