Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Icicles are starting to form here.

Same here but in my Shoes!!!!

Posted

Morning all i think i got maybe a cm top up last night which is most welcome, Quite cloudy to my east and North and the sun is out the two and a half inches that fell last night dont look like thawing just yet.

What a beautiful morning! The snow is still here, the sun has got his hat on, and for the first time in my life I've been given a day off because of the snow! :lol:

Most of the staff couldn't get to the office because of the roads and the fact that there's no public transport yet in Liverpool so we all got the day off. Even Liverpool Airport is closed again which is very unusual. We have also had about another centimetre overnight but I'm not expecting any more now until the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

looks like a few showers to pepper us witha light dusting. NW radar shows this too!

Posted

still lying snow with a few light flurries this morning.

Main routes gritted and passable, estate roads untreated and icy.

bus services running a limited service but schools still closed

I bet elfin-safety are in their element !

temp +1.5c rising slowly, dew point -1.2c

pressure 1009mb rising, wind light breeze about 10mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

morning all, had a very nice long sleep , as school is closed today, and then woke to a beautiful clear blue sky. And unbelievabley - it's just started snowing again

Edited by V for Very Cold

Posted

and a couple of questions

i) what are ppls experiences of actually being out and about in this after last night?

ii) what's the forecast for the pennines? ( as we tend to get the remanents of their weather)

Posted

Just a few flurries have made it over from the North East overnight. Made it too work today. Oldham council seems to have got it's act together this winter, and most of the A roads are very well gritted. Can't speak for some of the higher routes though, it must be extremely difficult to keep some of those roads open.

Quite amazing how the Pennines kill off the North Easterly showers, so it certainly seems that the best chance of snowfall for the North West area is a North Westerly with some Irish Streamers thrown in for good measure, coming into well established cold source. That's my take on it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Just come back from the park with the kids - wonderful winter scenes reminiscent of my own childhood, so we all had a great time. Despite the sun causing some melt on car windows, the roads, trees and grass are not going to thaw, and the radar looks like some showers might filter this way. So wonderful to hear these great descriptions form around the north-west. We shall remember this week for a long time, and winter is still young.

Posted

Looks like it may be a quiet day regarding the snow in the North West cray.gif I just hope my 2 inches of snow doesnt melt today !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Showers added a dusting overnight. -0.4c currently. I'd rather it go cloudy, or some snow will melt.

Could be in for a -7c tonight!

Posted

Looks like it may be a quiet day regarding the snow in the North West cray.gif I just hope my 2 inches of snow doesnt melt today !

It wont melt. The sun will weaken significantly by 2pm - The temperature by 3pm will be below freezing too. It will melt of the roofs, but wont even take a cm of the snow from the path, roads or grass!

Posted

Showers added a dusting overnight. -0.4c currently. I'd rather it go cloudy, or some snow will melt.

Could be in for a -7c tonight!

I think there will be a lot more cloud around this evening producing more snow showers as they get to our region, and then tomorrow we might have a bigger and better crack at the whip...and then a small chance on saturday.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

i wouldnt worry about snow melting apart form in dirct sunlight if its not deep enough to reflect rhe sun, temps may just get to 1 or 2c on the coast and -1 to 0c inland

-1.1c here at moment

liking the met o's outlook for nw england-

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Remaining cold with further snow showers, and perhaps longer periods of snow at times. Severe frosts expected overnight. Wind becomes a fresh to strong easterly during the weekend.

Updated: 0333 on Wed 6 Jan 2010

Edited by james12

Posted

I think there will be a lot more cloud around this evening producing more snow showers as they get to our region, and then tomorrow we might have a bigger and better crack at the whip...and then a small chance on saturday.

The showers will be really weak though i would imagine, i'd rather them stay away if they wont amount to anything. It's going to bo cold tonight no matter what the sky will be like :drinks:

(Grey or black)

Posted

ooohhhh seems there is a mild upgrade - my NW forecast gives us virtually nothing for the rest of the week - yet the beeb and some of the experienced forecasters saying there is the possiblilty of more clap.gif

Posted

and a couple of questions

i) what are ppls experiences of actually being out and about in this after last night?

ii) what's the forecast for the pennines? ( as we tend to get the remanents of their weather)

Hi,

I've not been out in it much, but there is still loads of snow everywhere. I'm not in work today, working from home, and judging by the amount of cars still around, I think its the same for most people

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

models show blizzard from the east at the weekend

ppn over the nw, but would need more support from other models which only hint at the ppn ]

post-9615-12627772747852_thumb.png

post-9615-12627772839452_thumb.png

Edited by james12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

We didnt get anymore snow this morning, but the sun is rapidly melting what snow is lying on rooves. I don't think will have an impact on the ground yet though

We didnt get anymore snow this morning, but the sun is rapidly melting what snow is lying on rooves. I don't think will have an impact on the ground yet though

yes im happy you got a good fall ste.

looks dry i think now for the NW,maybe eastern parts of the region seeing the occasional showers as the easterly sets in over the weekend.

:unsure:

Posted

Just a breif snow shower. Moderate falling but lots of little flakes being blown about in the wind.

Weather Advisory for the NW out for Sunday by the Met Office.

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting many parts of Northern Ireland, Wales and much of England.

There is potential for further outbreaks of snow, which could locally become heavy and prolonged at times. This will lead to further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1126 Wed 6 Jan

smile.gif

Edited by NW_Blackburn