Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Moderate snow shower this afternoon at 2pm which I didn't expect. Otherwise a bitterly cold day with a strengthening wind that has been blowing the lying snow about. It has now gone very cold and still, expecting a low temp tonight

Edited by snowingtequila

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

high today -1.0c

current -2.9c

DP -5c

very cold day and even the light breeze is making it feel bitter, frost and snow remained second ice day in a row now.

our next chance of snow will be when the easterly picks up, its looking even colder towards the weekend with a renewed blast of -10 or lower 850's from siberia.

Edited by james12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Down down down it goes, -3.8°C already :nonono:

Crystal clear skies and no wind.

Posted

anyone noticed the cloud moving south towards northern scotland where is that going?

the fax chart shows a low to the nw of scotland tomorrow

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

-2.3C now apparently but theres still water dripping from the gutter so it cant be right!

Dont forget the sun would of warmed the roofs today, thus melting the snow on the bottom layer, the surface temperature of the roof is most likely still above 0c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

No sign of any thaw today , in fact we had a light snow shower at 12.00 ish, and temps diidn't get above 0c , currently down to a bone chilling -4.4 c at 5.05pm , think we may see the yearly record of -8.4c broken tonight here :unsure: :cold:

Posted

-4.5c here, dropped 3.5c in less than an hour, can't see that the low will only be -6c tonight if the skies stay clear, nearer -8c to -10 I recon!

Posted

Whats the chances of those showers in the NE reaching southern parts of Lancs and Grtr manc?

Posted

Whats the chances of those showers in the NE reaching southern parts of Lancs and Grtr manc?

not much by the look of it, they vanish after hitting the hills, although im interested in that mass of cloud heading for northern scotland just now...

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Temp here -3.8c with a dp of -6c. Max temp today was 2.7c @ 13:22.

Gonna get very cold tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

not much by the look of it, they vanish after hitting the hills, although im interested in that mass of cloud heading for northern scotland just now...

Definitely one to keep an eye on - looks fairly substantial to me. Will check out next bbc24 forecast to see if it gets a mention.

Posted

It does look a potent bugger doesn't it, is it forecast to track south?

Temp here -3.8c with a dp of -6c. Max temp today was 2.7c @ 13:22.

Gonna get very cold tonight!

my garden thermometer reached 2.4c but i discounted it due to the suntrap that is my garden (even though the sensor is shaded on a fence), but my car thermometer never got above -1c , and when i left work at 3.30 it was -4c at Red Rock (between Aspull and Standish )

Posted

here's some more pics from today

is anyone else having probs uploads pics ? these seem to be taking ages nonono.gif

Brilliant photos V - it's great being able to see what other areas look like in this snow! Don't know how the birds are going to get a drink though... :(

Posted

Brilliant photos V - it's great being able to see what other areas look like in this snow! Don't know how the birds are going to get a drink though... :(

Tell em to meet me at the pub and i'll buy em one :D

Posted

It does look a potent bugger doesn't it, is it forecast to track south?

its not in any forecast as of yet, im maybe wrong but it looks quite potent need to watch the sat images and rain radar in the coming hours to see just where it is going....

ive heard 'now casting' mentioned alot due to the synoptic set up we have

Posted

It is -3c here alrady!

The cloud to the north/northwest of Scotland is associated with a little system that will affect parts of Ireland tomorrow. It is not expected to come here.

I think we will stay dry and bittely cold till the weekend. Then snow showers should affect us from the east.

Karyo

Posted

Definitely one to keep an eye on - looks fairly substantial to me. Will check out next bbc24 forecast to see if it gets a mention.

Some forecasts have shown more organised snow coming into NI tomorrow - could be that area as it would appear to be tracking too far west for us in the NNE wind.

The low forecast to clip East Anglia tomorrow evening is shown on the sat picture too, along with a little disturbance to its north, off Norway. That seems to be the origin of the streamer coming into Northumberland. A small convergence zone between NNE and ENE winds could develop as the low moves in pulling winds esaterly for a time in EA and move down the line of the streamer. This happened with the first low of the cold spell on December 17th/18th and gave eastern parts of the region their first dusting of the cold spell.

Posted

All eyes now onto Sundays snow event, the MetO have a yellow alert. Could do with another 20cm, on top off the 20cm I already have. On a serious note, if this produces another major snow event, we might be looking at the charts for something milder! :girl_devil:

Posted

The last thing i need on sunday is snow! same goes for monday! After the 21st let it snow, however it looks as if it will arrive before that!

Posted

A Heavy snow shower just passed here at 5.45, with a bit of luck it may make it to the west coast around preston.

Edited by Chrissy