Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Posted

Firm agreement now of the end of the cold spell coming for the South-East:

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/services/ensemble_forecast.html

Still a week away though rolleyes.gif

Hmmm. Looks like it's getting less cold after this weekend.

Better make the most of any snow (If you have it)

Posted

next to nothing here yet again and radar looks terrible so so annoying

It shows how local it is ( 10 miles ). It's been snowing here since about 9 am, some of it heavy. Stopped now though.

Posted

About 12 cm of snow now in Borehamwood - 7 cm of that have fallen in the last couple of hours. It's brightened up and the snow has eased off a bit now - just small flakes falling. Temperature reading 0.1 but my thermometer has been reading that constantly for the last 36 hours...(!)

Not sure from the radar where this afternoons snow showers are meant to come from? Are they expected from the blob of precipitation currently in the north sea?

Mispy

Coming in from the Norfolf/Essex coast the same streamer line as the snow earlier, lots more to come for us and its pepping up now.

Posted

Hi Darren - that is unusually downbeat of you. And you say you are going to see your girlfriend in Guildford, but the only thing keeping you going is the chance to see some proper snowfall! I bet she'd love reading that!! acute.giftongue.gif

Haha well maybe she is a side thing to the snow :p

As for the band this afternoon, its expected to come south and strengthen, thats why there is a warning of 5-10cms possibly this afternoon. I suspect unless the front gets its skates on in terms of strengthening thats optimistic, it looks better for Kent as they have more time...

No doubt it'll pep up over SW London as well...just like everything does it seems!

Posted

Nice.

Sleet or Snow is the question.

I have a feeling what the answer will be for SE Essex anyway!

Posted

yes, i agree i tis a good cold spell but not epic until we have 9 inches in central london.

Nine inches? I'd accept four inches in the middle of town myself, you drive a very hard bargain rolleyes.gif

Posted

Browsed these forums for ages and thought it time to contribute.........

Not seen many updates from those in Kent this morning - here, nr Lenham ( between Ashford & Maidstone ) we had some fairly heavy snow for an hour or so late yesterday evening which added to the snow we had from previous occasional falls. Estimate around 5 cm's lying at the mo.

Its has been snowing lightly with the occasional heavier burst for most of this morning - which has been a little suprising given the bbc forecasts for here this morning.

Hoping for some further addition later and then perhaps more likely over the weekend once we hopefully start getting some convective stuff - always great in this part of Kent with an E or NE feed.

Current temp around 1.3c and its been aboove freezing here since late yesterday - and yet no sign of any melt.

edit - snow heavier again now

Report from here in Medway is -- It is quiet. Nothing. The odd flake in the wind. The radar is annoying showing the front narrowly missing Kent and yet BBC giving heavy snowfall for this afternoon...Who knows?!

:p

Posted

I see the Met O have an advisory for Sunday. Seems there could be a widespread event judging by the regions effected. The NOGAPS model certainly suggests this as do some of the GEFS ensembles. One to watch I feel.

Posted

Wow we have had a great start to winter .. yet this forum (for the SE) seems to have a small number of annoying whiners and moaners ...... particulary form North Kent! I am off now to enjoy a hike in the 8 inches of Snow in the Woldingham hills ....Don't despair more to come for the SE

Posted

http://expert.weathe...010718_0606.gif

That low pressure for tomorrow across the east and south east! yahoo.gif

Yeah though worth noting thats really rather weak on that, its the sort of fall that would give a dusting according to the NAE...however more often then not the models under-estimate precip...so could be heavier then progged, esp as the showers are coming in on a feed that should be favourable for you guys...

Posted

I see the Met O have an advisory for Sunday. Seems there could be a widespread event judging by the regions effected. The NOGAPS model certainly suggests this as do some of the GEFS ensembles. One to watch I feel.

Maybe the low coming up through France will clip us after all. As mentioned by Tom Shaferwhateverhisnameis?

Hi all

Stopped snowing now in welwyn garden city, does anyone know where the souther edge is currently sitting on this band of snow that is supposed to drop back south again this afternoon? any signs of it starting to shift back south yet?

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

A couple of pictures emailed to me by a colleague in Storrington, West Sussex. I guess he has a reasonable excuse in not driving to the office in Brighton !

post-7758-12627797744052_thumb.jpg

post-7758-12627798282252_thumb.jpg

Posted

Snowman built during my lunch hour. (Early lunch :whistling: )

Measured snow whilst in garden and it is actually 8cm's. So about 3 inches.

post-2496-12627798371052_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Firm agreement now of the end of the cold spell coming for the South-East:

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/services/ensemble_forecast.html

Still a week away though rolleyes.gif

Not according to the latest Met Office update it isnt...

UK Outlook for Monday 11 Jan 2010 to Wednesday 20 Jan 2010:

Next week looks set to remain cold or very cold across the UK. There will be a good deal of dry weather especially in the west, with occasional wintry showers in the east. However, outbreaks of snow, which may be heavy in places, at first in central areas on Monday (11th). Windy at times across many parts with significant wind chill. Overnight frosts and ice with very low minimum temperatures in the north. Risk of snow in far south on Friday. The trend from next weekend onwards looks most likely to continue cold or very cold with further snow showers in eastern parts. There remains a signal for less cold weather by the end of the period but there is low confidence in this aspect.

Updated: 1200 on Wed 6 Jan 2010