Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIII

Posted

I thought that the netweather radar is supposed to update every fives minutes, there seems to be a 15 minute delay on my images? I am only subscribed this morning.

Hi,

It's a 15 min delay but updates the image every 5 mins (well thats how mine has allways worked, lol).

EG: At 10:00am (real time) i get the radar image for 9:45am, at 10:05am i get the radar image for 9:50am and so on...

Edited by coffee23

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

We have been ever so slightly to the north of the heavier stream of snow, so I'd expect places like Harlow and Epping to have done well in past few hours, but it has still been snowing here since about 7.00am and it looks like maybe for the next hour we fall in a slighly heavier band of snow for anything between 1 and 2 more hours, dependant on whether this shifts south much.

Hello Hammer - can't complain really either a couple of miles up the road in BS. Since about 8 when it started we have had maybe an inch out of it so far. I'm not convinced of the MetO projection that it will get heavier this afternoon/evening as the northern band moves south.

Posted

Stuff all here still and what little we had has mostly thawed now starting to wonder if any of the precip will end up here at all

Posted

nothing falling in bexleyheath... its all to the north over in essex!

light stuff here in plumstead, but radar looks promising for us in about 30-60 minutes :)

Posted

Morning everyone, heavy snow in Colchester this morning, all roads are covered, and fairly deep with snow, just started to snow in Clacton. (took me an hour to get from Colchester to Clacton this morning).

Posted

Stuff all here still and what little we had has mostly thawed now starting to wonder if any of the precip will end up here at all

Im with you on that one!! . . . Had a quick shower this morning most of which has disappeared already.

Janet

Posted

well it looks like braintree in essex is going to just miss out on the main part but 6 miles further south in witham and chelmsford should get the 5-6 inches of snow.

i hope not my kids school has just rang to say they are now closing

Edited by honey*

Posted

-- Rayleigh, Essex --

Been snowing lightly since before 7am but the temp is increasing, currently it is 2.9c. The light covering is melting.

Is it likely to get colder and snow heavier later on? Wife is working up London, trying to keep her updated.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Getting nice here now. Flakes getting bigger, snow starting to get heavier. Still fairly moderate, but its heading in the right direction!

Yup, just started getting heavier here in Wanstead, not heading into work, Central Line has a broken rail, must be heading into town!yahoo.gif

Posted

Snow heavier here in East Herts, CM21. Weather station is reporting winds ENE. Interestingly it does not seem to be shifting southwards, if anything, it is maintaining a pretty steady northern edge.

Could be very very interesting for those towns in the heavier streams of snow in Essex.

Posted

Yep same here Paul, the heavier snow is whats needed to really help let the snow settle, this light stuff just isn't going to cut it and if anything will help the melt process...

Anyway yeah your right the band is weakening on the southern side as the dry slot moves through...why is the low now heading WSW, swear its trying to crew us over Paul hah!

We've been rather unlucky with how its all set out gotta admit, should still gt some more snow as the band will come southwards but not expecting a great deal locally...we may get 1-2cms, some places just 40 miles north will get 5-7 times that amount!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Really really heavy snow here now, I've just taken a video and picture, uploading here

http://picasaweb.google.com/dupplawt/Snow6thJanuary2010#

Really bringing back memories of Feb 2009 now.

Looks like it's beginning it's southward movement, watch out London!

Yes Ware looks good, although on the Northern end of the ppn so if it does move south it will ease off.

Hoddesdon and Harlow look well placed as at 9.45am

Posted

Uxbridge area - went to bed a bit disappointed and equally so with a quick peek out the curtains at 5am, but woke up to moderate snow from this North Sea stuff and still falling .. 3-4" or so

It was only 2cm when I left for work at 8 this morning Is it getting heavier?

Posted

Yes Ware looks good, although on the Northern end of the ppn so if it does move south it will ease off.

Hoddesdon and Harlow look well placed as at 9.45am

Stu you are sport on Hoddesdon and Harlow look like they must be doing quite well. I know the college in Harlow is shutting shortly. It has been in a pretty heavy stream for a few hours.

Posted

Yep same here Paul, the heavier snow is whats needed to really help let the snow settle, this light stuff just isn't going to cut it and if anything will help the melt process...

Anyway yeah your right the band is weakening on the southern side as the dry slot moves through...why is the low now heading WSW, swear its trying to crew us over Paul hah!

We've been rather unlucky with how its all set out gotta admit, should still gt some more snow as the band will come southwards but not expecting a great deal locally...we may get 1-2cms, some places just 40 miles north will get 5-7 times that amount!

Light/Mod snow here Kold. As you say it's nuisance value really. Nice to look at, but not heavy enough to settle on the roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

I thought that the netweather radar is supposed to update every fives minutes, there seems to be a 15 minute delay on my images? I am only subscribed this morning.

The radar usually runs 10-15 mins behind not the 5 mins that is claimed..... it is a good tool though! I wouldnt be without mine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Colchester & Felixstowe seem to be the Northern limit of the Essex snowband at present. Its all moving slowly South now and intensifying as it crosses the Thames to Sheppey, Medway, CLiffe and Gravesend. Currently 0.4c DP -0.3

Posted

Agreed. VERY quiet here in north kent which has been disappointing to say the least. Hoping for some heavy snow later on. Today was supposed to be our day for the snow - Hhmmm! :)

Posted

hi KW. just watching latest BBC24 forecast and Essex looks like it may be upgraded a bit more than the 1-2cm's for today :)

Posted

It was only 2cm when I left for work at 8 this morning Is it getting heavier?

I'm about 2 mi north so in a hillier part, not sure about the town itself. I suspect it will be getting more snow down there though!

Posted

The radar usually runs 10-15 mins behind not the 5 mins that is claimed..... it is a good tool though! I wouldnt be without mine

It updates every 5 minutes. I believe legally there has to be a delay. (I think)

Posted

i hope not my kids school has just rang to say they are now closing

I wouldn't worry too much as all it takes is a wiff of snow in braintree to close the schools.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Yup, just started getting heavier here in Wanstead, not heading into work, Central Line has a broken rail, must be heading into town!yahoo.gif

I have to say im really lucky, I took time off work just before the cold spell started in December, and I go back on monday! But ive got first two of my professional exams to sit this friday, and the snow is a distraction...

Snow continuing to get heavier, bigger flakes. Moderate falls now.

Latest N24 forecast with Chris Fawkes, and I think he's really improving with his forecasts. Explaining why and how the snow developed last night, explained the variable amounts of snow for different locations. Said tomorrow heavy snow into East Anglia moving into the London area towards the evening. Also said cold for at least a week. I think he's a cold ramper. Good lad.