Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIII

Posted

ok ermmm in braintree here

got to walk 3 miles to get son from school later,couple of inches here so far

my question is are we likely to get much more before 4 oclock or should i think of getting him earlier.

Posted

had about 6 inches here in high wycombe and still falling now is bucks one of the worst affected

North Bucks and Oxfordshire was a sweet spot

Not so much further south.

Posted

Darren the Low was always meant to be moving towards the WSW To be situated near Alderney by this afternoon, but I agree we have been screwed over - Ho Hum it is like the lottery with Snow, just think we have been lucky to even see snow tbh, poor Cambs seems to be the most screwed over at present and are missing everything!

Temp and Dewpoint are worrying here and I am hoping these really cold winds are going to get here, it was supposed to be advected from the NE By now but clearly the temps and dewpoints are nowhere near what they should be by now.

Paul S

Posted

Im with you on that one!! . . . Had a quick shower this morning most of which has disappeared already.

Janet

After hearing the school closures for Wisbech this morning I was sure you'd got a good dumping overnight Janet.....

Mrs F x

Posted

Norfolk, Suffolk are now orange in met office warnings

Only 2-5cm predicted for norfolk, not being stupid or nothing but does that really deserve a "Be Prepared" warning... :wallbash: All the roads round here are well gritted and very wet. :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Norwich missed the main area of snow last night due to being too far north and east, but now that it's out of the way, being to the northeast has its advantages as the snow/graupel showers are piling in from the North Sea.

Posted

my question is are we likely to get much more before 4 oclock or should i think of getting him earlier.

well two things. check the local council web site for school updates and perhaps keep a check on radar and news. but definitely give more time to get to school and maybe if you are worried about walking pick him up early

latest forecast for your area does say more to come during the day, but i am no means qualified to say how much you might get :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Gotta love that I drove from Dover to Ipswich this morning, heavy snow from the Dartford tunnel until Colchester - very heavy snow, traffic at a standstill in places. It stopped 10 miles south of Ipswich, no snow on the ground, no snow falling. Typical :wallbash: :unsure:

Posted

hi KW. just watching latest BBC24 forecast and Essex looks like it may be upgraded a bit more than the 1-2cm's for today smile.gif

I have my doubts, for sure places further north that are in the snow are going to gfet nailed by a good 4-6 inches but in the screw zone we are gonna be lucky to get more then 1-2cms IMO, esp as the kicker trough that shunts it all south looks pitiful at the moment and once the band to the north tries to come south it will thin and weaken quite readily, as is somewhat happening already.

Posted

Well they said they was closing so i would go get him now so he can enjoy the snow tbh.

Posted

After hearing the school closures for Wisbech this morning I was sure you'd got a good dumping overnight Janet.....

Mrs F x

We had nothing overnight and I dont think Wisbech did either . . they are claiming heating problems.

NEWS JUST IN - Fakenham school in Norfolk is closing as there is a severe weather warning out for Norfolk . . its not that far from me and I have def not seen enough snow for any school to close.

Janet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

Just the most pathetic light dusting here at Saffron Walden. Very disappointed, will we get any?

Posted

Woah crazy.......... Falling really heavy still with large flakes.

Sky TV isn't working because of the amount of snow on it (I had to reach out the bathroom window with the broom to try and get it off :wallbash:)

Also the phone cable accros our garden are extrenley low! the amout of snow on them means they are nearly touchable which is quite scary! Main roads are covered in snow, looking quite bad.

Edited by saint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I have my doubts, for sure places further north that are in the snow are going to gfet nailed by a good 4-6 inches but in the screw zone we are gonna be lucky to get more then 1-2cms IMO, esp as the kicker trough that shunts it all south looks pitiful at the moment and once the band to the north tries to come south it will thin and weaken quite readily, as is somewhat happening already.

Its getting heavier here Kold, bigger flakes. Good moderate falls at the moment. I think its moving south very slowly. I think youre to the south-east of me, so should start to pep up where you are too in a while.

Posted

For areas of London and the se that didn't get much snow this was just the first course! the colder upper air hasn't even arrived yet this combined with a strong ene flow will produce further significant snowfall. As i said the other day there are at least another 5 days of snow chances. I didn't post too much last night as i just gave up trying to get across to people that there is days of this to come. For the people who did nothing but moan before the event had even started and ended up with lots of snow, please learn something from this and in future just wait to see how a situation develops.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Should be noted the 06z GFS hasn't even seen the streamer system, the NAE last night has done a very neat job latching onto it...still the 06z shows very little snow for S.Essex and parts of Kent now, as I suspect about a cm or 2...that maybe a touch underdone given the streamer to the north...

Saying that the warnings are right for a good chunk of Essex, just sadly not this part...

Ah well as I've been saying I'll just have to escape to the SW...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Having watched the event, I really think where I used to live — just s/w of Haslemere in West Sussex (where Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex borders meet) must be a prime contender for the most snow. There's been heavy precipitation since 5:30 pm yesterday and it's still going strong right now. Our hill was more or less cut off in '63 unless you had a LandRover.

I've emailed a couple of friends there but had no reply from either of them so I'm beginning to wonder — should a search and rescue chopper be sent? :(

Posted

Just returned from Brighton and it was about 3" but snowing steadily.

Edited by martin bentley