Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIV

Posted

As I said in the other thread the flow should be pretty good for your location Neil.

Anyway I still am quite amazed just how much snow some have got right now, SW/W London once again have got the bullseye, they got the bullseye in Feb 09 as well!

Anyway still signs of precip pepping up over the North-Sea and feeding westwards...got a funny feeling though the screw zone is going to stick its finger up and return again for here...will see!

I am in west London and only have an inch!

Posted

As I said in the other thread the flow should be pretty good for your location Neil.

Anyway I still am quite amazed just how much snow some have got right now, SW/W London once again have got the bullseye, they got the bullseye in Feb 09 as well!

Anyway still signs of precip pepping up over the North-Sea and feeding westwards...got a funny feeling though the screw zone is going to stick its finger up and return again for here...will see!

Darren

Sorry to say I told you so yesterday Mate, but it just did not look good for us, I am soo pleased seeing those pictures for Others esp the Buried Car in haslemere (Amazing Pic)

What us now apparant is the wind has picked up and it really has got icy now, in C London we have Moderate Sleet with absolutely no snow on the roofs or pavements, still about 0.5cm when I left Leigh, nearer to 2cm at Upminster.

I also think tomorrow could be the nuisence value snow as well, would swap these damn troughs for some proper Convection off the North Sea but that looks like being further North for now and my worry about the slack winds down here is also happening at the moment.

Will have to see wether the Meto are just covering there arses with this afternoon, like others I am NOT Convinced of this and they must have other data to hand that we dont....maybe?

Paul S

Posted

Fantastic 6-15 day forecast from Met O.

"Next week looks set to remain cold or very cold across the UK. There will be a good deal of dry weather especially in the west, with occasional wintry showers in the east. However, outbreaks of snow, which may be heavy in places, at first in central areas on Monday (11th). Windy at times across many parts with significant wind chill. Overnight frosts and ice with very low minimum temperatures in the north. Risk of snow in far south on Friday. The trend from next weekend onwards looks most likely to continue cold or very cold with further snow showers in eastern parts. There remains a signal for less cold weather by the end of the period but there is low confidence in this aspect."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

I suspect a good chance then of snow remaining in large parts of the country TEITS. Even if it does not snow again.

I somehow think there are a few surprises to come, in fact places just north of here who might have missed out earlier, look like they have some decent streams of showers heading towards them.

Cambridge for example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Neil South / Kold

East Kent chances???? Clearly west kent, southern england etc have loads - we have a smattering

mum lives in normandy - they are snowed well and truly in - 6 inches in hour and half and expected another 2 inches in an hour when i spoke to her at 930am!

Posted

Looks good apart from the fact we are in the middle of it.

As TEITS says Norfolk, Cambs & Home Counties will prob do best.

Down here on the Essex coast we'll end up again in the warm sector and get wet snow at best which would rapidly thaw, once again drove into work at Colchester only to be confronted again by far more snow through Tiptree etc. than what we have in the Costa del Burnham, surely fortunes have to change in this location at the weekend??

Posted

Darren

Sorry to say I told you so yesterday Mate, but it just did not look good for us, I am soo pleased seeing those pictures for Others esp the Buried Car in haslemere (Amazing Pic)

What us now apparant is the wind has picked up and it really has got icy now, in C London we have Moderate Sleet with absolutely no snow on the roofs or pavements, still about 0.5cm when I left Leigh, nearer to 2cm at Upminster.

I also think tomorrow could be the nuisence value snow as well, would swap these damn troughs for some proper Convection off the North Sea but that looks like being further North for now and my worry about the slack winds down here is also happening at the moment.

Will have to see wether the Meto are just covering there arses with this afternoon, like others I am NOT Convinced of this and they must have other data to hand that we dont....maybe?

Paul S

They were suggesting 10cm for parts of London this pm. I suspect they have gone from mild rampers to snow rampers but we shall see if they are right!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Fantastic 6-15 day forecast from Met O.

"Next week looks set to remain cold or very cold across the UK. There will be a good deal of dry weather especially in the west, with occasional wintry showers in the east. However, outbreaks of snow, which may be heavy in places, at first in central areas on Monday (11th). Windy at times across many parts with significant wind chill. Overnight frosts and ice with very low minimum temperatures in the north. Risk of snow in far south on Friday. The trend from next weekend onwards looks most likely to continue cold or very cold with further snow showers in eastern parts. There remains a signal for less cold weather by the end of the period but there is low confidence in this aspect."

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Who saw the head of the Met just get a bo***** on the Poiltics show. From global warming to short/mid range forcasts.

Excellent interview, the guy really knew his stuff

As the the guy said the Met was still going for a mild winter on 27th November and the guy mention info re UK Jans cold snap was picked up on USA web sites longe before a mention on the Mets re 30/31 December.

The the guy (whats his name) picked him up on global warming figs in detail. Excellent interview.

Had just under a foot in the last 24hrs so for me I want cold and compacted snow , not so much worried if I get anymore

Posted

Darren

Paul S

Nail on head mate.

Posted

Well the front is pepping up from the east Paul so it is strengthening as progged but its a race against time really as the whole lot is sinking south, your home location should be far enough east but myself, nah I have doubts to be honest...

Those that do get the band should get 3-5cms still IMO.

The sick thing is my location is sort of a local bullseye point for S.Essex and I got about 2cms in the end, other places that are further east barely got a dusting!

Posted

Darren

Paul S

Hi Paul, when you say North, would you mean Norfolk, maybe Norwich, by any chance? :good:

Posted

Despite being still below freezing here with sub-zero dew-points, a quick thaw happening here. Doesn't make too much sense, but what does these days?

Wish that activity in the North Sea would move in a bit quicker, rather than waiting for the bus.

Posted

I suspect a good chance then of snow remaining in large parts of the country TEITS. Even if it does not snow again.

I somehow think there are a few surprises to come, in fact places just north of here who might have missed out earlier, look like they have some decent streams of showers heading towards them.

Cambridge for example.

Hammer

What about places South East of you :aggressive::aggressive: Any chance for us ??

Posted

Well the front is pepping up from the east Paul so it is strengthening as progged but its a race against time really as the whole lot is sinking south, your home location should be far enough east but myself, nah I have doubts to be honest...

Those that do get the band should get 3-5cms still IMO.

The sick thing is my location is sort of a local bullseye point for S.Essex and I got about 2cms in the end, other places that are further east barely got a dusting!

Are we looking out at that stuff over the N.Sea atm Darren. Or the bands North of us over Cambs/Beds?

Posted

Still snowing here.

Update from MetO to the Croydon Borough: Severe snowfall approx 1500hrs across London/SE and will head South. Expect 10cm - 20cm

Edited by yamkin

Posted

A few pics I've just taken in and around the garden. The ruler is difficult to see but it is almost 9 inches in the middle of the lawn. Had about another 3 inches this morning.

Still snowing lightly - doesn't seem to have stopped since it started at 6pm last night.

Hope you all get a good dumping soon (those of you who haven't had one yet) drinks.gif

post-8206-12627807610352_thumb.jpg

post-8206-12627807747652_thumb.jpg

post-8206-12627807870952_thumb.jpg

post-8206-12627808014552_thumb.jpg

Posted

Just made it home to West Cambs from Cambridge. Glad I left when I did. Conditions from St Neots northwards were atrocious - very heavy snow. Have a lovely covering of snow (1 inch), so I'm happier!! Seems to be getting lighter but I see the front is now moving south, so the snow will stop here soon

Posted

I'm in the same BS snizzle screw zone as you in the city of London - except I have a flame thrower licking my behind as well. . . and you think you have it bad?

Given that the MetO warnings are only out to 4pm I dont see how the screw zone is going to shift enough in that time to warrant the warnings for our areas.

I hope it's all going to kick off unexpectedly on the radar for us in the next few hours. . . but by then as you say peak day time heating will have well and truly kicked in by then :aggressive:

Given that the cold snap is going to end before it's even really started for my location - I'm viewing what happens in the next few hours as my best chance to have decent, lying snow that lasts for a few days! (desperate I know)

The puny mess that comes in tomorrow I hold little hope for in my location and the weekends 'event' turns everything mild and rainy by the end of it so again nothing looking good there either.

Posted

God the radar is making me sick looking at it!

If you have the Nw radar, take a look at the clear slot just east of Ipswich right now and look at the moment of where that clear slot is heading...have any guesses....

Right through to yours truely...

So the last decent shot at snow for this part of the region looks like going past whilst everywhere else gets some snow...screw that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

Hi everyone - been a lurker for a while on these forums thought it time to join in!

Been snowing here almost continuously since about 6pm yesterday. Still coming down and heavy at times. Nearly up to the magic 1 Foot of snow!

Few pics from the front drive and back garden. The amount of snow on one of the climber plants on the fence caused it to completely snap off the trelis this morning!

post-11068-12627809342252_thumb.jpg

post-11068-12627809591352_thumb.jpg

post-11068-12627811507152_thumb.jpg