Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIV

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

And it's started to snow more heavily again

Posted

Have you go anything yet Paul? Some monster flakes coming down here in Ipswich now....quite a covering already! What i like the most is the apparent lack of breeze! How are we looking for tomorrow and friday? Convective stuff possible?

Zilch

Posted

Broxbourne, Hoddensdon poster, looks like more heavy snow for you in next 30 minutes or so.

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Heavy snow in Buntingford, North East Herts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I see that band of snow that gave me sweet FA has intensified. Funny how last Feb I had all the luck and so far its been crap with 1cm of lying snow!

When it comes to the models the star performer has been the NMM IMO. Absolutely nailed today based on the runs I looked at yesterday.

Yes, started to intensify as it tracked thru St Ives. Gave us a covering here with a few heavy bursts, how do you fancy my chances here tomorrow?

Posted

Okay Updated - And if anyone else wants to add their locations feel free

So thats just leaves..................... whistling.gifwhistling.gif

S Essex

SE Essex

N Norfolk

NE Kent

E Kent

S Kent

C London

NW Kent

Paul S

Whilst very poor here, I won't be adding SW Essex to that map simply because we did get some ok snow last night for about an hour which as I said has left about 1 and a half cms. Not amazing but not a total washout despite my moaning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

That is how I felt a few weeks back when we had the last big snowy spell - a huge swath a snow cloud coming down the north sea and into EA on a NE wind, and when it hit land it split into two banks with Norwich in the middle. It was like the parting of the sea! Amazing to see on the radar.

Me too! :shok: Sat up most of the night on 17/12/09 watching 2 thick bands of snow slide ss/w 10 miles either side of me… BUT I awoke to about 4" of lovely powder snow next morning which lasted until just after Christmas.

Posted

i feel like a drug addict having a fix waved in front of his face but not allowed to partake....

its snowing loads now in c london but not settling.

Posted

Is there any chance of the heavier band of snow to the north coming down to affect London & NW Kent any time soon?

Posted

That band over Camb, Ipswich, Bedford, Mk etc is moving South quite rapidly atm. Should clear Cambs in the next hour. Then those S and SW are brought into play...

Should be in Colchester before 14:00, then it will follow the A12 down towards London.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Okay Updated - And if anyone else wants to add their locations feel free

So thats just leaves..................... :rofl: :lol:

S Essex

SE Essex

N Norfolk

NE Kent

E Kent

S Kent

C London

NW Kent

Paul S

With any luck NE Kent will come off this list in the next 24 hrs

we have to get some dont we?

Posted

Ok my final thoughts on this afternoon.

There are currently two bands.

Band 1

This extends as a light band from approximately exeter all the way to Hertfordshire. It is mainly light in intensity but actually quite persistant.

Band 2

This band has extended from approx the top of the severn estuary to Ipswich and is moving South.

I would expect now for band 2 to begin its southerly movement and eventually for energy in the bands in the North sea to begin moving SW. as this catches up with Band 1 alarger band will form for a time and then begin to all move South and South East.

Advisories are for 5-10cm further locally and I see no real reason to dispute this. There are two things only that may increase this. If instability increases as the fronts catch up then there could locally be some increase in this. The second is if the bands moving south slow down...or they orient more on a SW direction. If this is the case then some places could really be under the sweet spot. The key is the positioning of the low and how well the two bands interact.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Is this PPN band that people are talknig about that is intensifying likely to hit SW London? If so what time please, thanks!

Posted

That band over Camb, Ipswich, Bedford, Mk etc is moving South quite rapidly atm. Should clear Cambs in the next hour. Then those S and SW are brought into play...

Should be in Colchester before 14:00, then it will follow the A12 down towards London.

That band has given an hours good snow and added another 2 inches to the overnight 1 inch of snow. YAY!

Posted

You might well catch the dryslot though which means less snow then surrounding areas, its pepping up a little on the northern side though so even then its not a lost cause. Will wait and see, a very horrible hour or so of waiting to come I think!

General amounts of 2-4cms from this band, maybe more for E.Kent if it slows enough.

Posted

i feel like a drug addict having a fix waved in front of his face but not allowed to partake....

its snowing loads now in c london but not settling.

same here.. just to say that i was out about an hour ago in light snow and didnt feel too cold, but just come back from a pop round me mates and snowing a lot heavier and its a lot colder now.. seems to be settling also.. and the dripping has stopped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Doesn't look like that on the radar - are they expecting some convective stuff or are they using their crystal ball? It looks pretty much light but persistent for the rest of the day from where I'm sitting.

Would be nice if it came true though

DS

If you look at the Met Office Invent radar, there is indeed a heavier burst due for around 3pm, they were spot on last night with the arrival of snow just after 9pm so maybe the same will apply today?

Posted

well it just seems to be getting better for SE, just seen the forecast before th 1 o'clock news and London and SE seem to be in the firing line. Paul, i reckon around 15:00 should be the time the sleet turns to proper snow there in C London, just in time for me to be making my way into work :rofl:

Well we will grudingly have to hand it to our friends at the been and ukmo if this one does deliver for London. In all fairness they have forecast it for 1500 from the morning. But until I see pictures of Westminster with 2cm plus I shall not believe it!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Been snowing lightly here non-stop since daybreak, though not really adding much to the 7cm I've got now.

The front stretching from Gloucestershire east to Suffolk seems to be organising and pepping up a bit as it heads south. Looks like it will snow well into the evening for parts of the SE, probably clearing in earlier hours.

Then more snow brewing for E Anglia and the SE coming in with a shallow low moving SW off the N Sea, here's 06z NAE with the low tomorrow PM:

post-1052-12627842144052_thumb.gifpost-1052-12627842221852_thumb.gif

Posted

Saying that for my area I expect a total accumulation of--- 0cm!

Thats because there is nlittle chance its going to settle given the temps and dew points at the moment, we are back to snow thankfully which is a step in the right direction but I'm not expecting anything to settle unless we manage to get lucky and catch a stronger part of the band...and knowing the terrible luck in 24hrs, theres no chance of that!