Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Here it comes. An hour of moderate snow is all we can hope for I think. Band dropping south quickly.

Yes, radar seems to be showing a stream of organised showers/ snow for at least next 45 mins i'd think. Moderate snow now falling

Posted

Anyone who managed to get to work this morning will need to come home a bit earlier as all this snow

with slush on the roads and pavements is going to be an ice rink pretty quickly :good:

Wonder if the schools will be open in the morning? :lol:

Posted

I am now the proud ownerof a snowman called terry

We have one too! He's called Alfredo!

Still snowing nice and steady in Downend.

Posted

Anyone who managed to get to work this morning will need to come home a bit earlier as all this snow

with slush on the roads and pavements is going to be an ice rink pretty quickly :cold:

I am dreading going out to work tonight. :cold:

At least it was fresh snow this morning, coming home.....much easier to walk in. The thought of it all compacted and frozen tonight is frightening. :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Oh what fun! Just finished building a snowcat, the pics will be up later :nonono:

Been measuring, 10cm in the most sheltered accumulations and 14cm in the open, the likes of the garden lawn and the front drive so an average of 12cm I suppose. Snow starting again, nice big flakes too :cold:.

Temp also peaked at -0.4C and just down from that now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

with slush on the roads and pavements is going to be an ice rink pretty quickly mellow.gif

Wonder if the schools will be open in the morning? unknw.gif

Uphere in the North we dont get Slush till March, no sign of slush at all

Posted

Is sunday looking as bad as the weather we have had today?

Good question. Again could be marginal, but Ian said even colder on the weekend with the chance of more heavy snow. Interesting models coming up the nest few days.

The Atlantic is going to try and attack...and if our cold pool is strong enough this can bring lots of snow for the S.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Turning dark here with snow moving in from the north and east!

Absolutely no thaw or melt here, roads still white, no slush... althouh only one 4*4 has gone up (and then cam back 2mins later)

Going for a walk up to the village, will take some pics!

-2.3C feeling like -10.7C in the wind... Ah, so this is what it'll be like when the gulf stream dies?! :cold:

Posted

Good question. Again could be marginal, but Ian said even colder on the weekend with the chance of more heavy snow. Interesting models coming up the nest few days.

The Atlantic is going to try and attack...and if our cold pool is strong enough this can bring lots of snow for the S.

Thanks for the reply, this could be a day to keep a close eye on.

Edited by cloudbase

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

is tapping her fingers and waiting .................and waiting..............tap tap.............

Posted

Pep that fell in barnstaple last night and this morning feel as sleet and didnt top anything up :yahoo:. Such a shame.

hi i dont know where you are but we got a massive dumping infact im snowed in .. and its still snowing.. Just been for a walk around the village in landkey and it is really deep. best snow i have seen in years.

kaz x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Slight thaw under way which is a bit disappointing and shows just how good Feb 1991 was in comparison for cold powder snow which fell and remained for over a week around here. I can also see the back edge of the cloud just to my north, really need that to stay away until the sun has dipped to prevent a more rapid thaw before it gets a chance to freeze up a bit.

Still if this is all we get for the winter it wont have been to bad, just not an old classic.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Turning dark here with snow moving in from the north and east!

Absolutely no thaw or melt here, roads still white, no slush... althouh only one 4*4 has gone up (and then cam back 2mins later)

Going for a walk up to the village, will take some pics!

-2.3C feeling like -10.7C in the wind... Ah, so this is what it'll be like when the gulf stream dies?! :yahoo:

getting dark clouds here again over Wellington.Wind is like a knife cutting through.

Posted

Very very fine but moderate snow. Looks wierd.

Slight thaw under way which is a bit disappointing and shows just how good Feb 1991 was in comparison for cold powder snow which fell and remained for over a week around here. I can also see the back edge of the cloud just to my north, really need that to stay away until the sun has dipped to prevent a more rapid thaw before it gets a chance to freeze up a bit.

Still if this is all we get for the winter it wont have been to bad, just not an old classic.

Yeah, def NOT a Feb 91. Temps were below freezing, -4 in bristol. Snow blowing around. Todays snow is good, but a little wet and a slight thaw.

To be honest im still waiting for a spell to beat Feb 91, anyway IMBY.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but soggy wetness

Starting to cool down now from a high of 0.7C now around 0.2C, best snow for ages and not wet at all

Be interesting on the road this evening when it freezes

post-8712-21796_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

hi i dont know where you are but we got a massive dumping infact im snowed in .. and its still snowing.. Just been for a walk around the village in landkey and it is really deep. best snow i have seen in years.

kaz x

Man your lucky, down in the town of barny it fell as very small flakes, i guess up there your higher up so it went to proper snow, very marginal.