Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Dogs sounds like someone has been busy!

Yes we decided against going up to cleeve today after seeing how much snow there was at the base of it around the racecourse - even walking would have been tricky

After doing a good job this morning ive not seen the gritters yet this evening and theyre a bit late now - everything is freezing up out there now and the salt is going to have a hard time mixing in with the frozen slush now

SK

Posted

Nice looking Met Office update this evening:

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Cold and mostly dry on Friday and Saturday with some sunny spells. Turning cloudier and windier on Sunday with spells of snow which may be heavy at times.

Thats the same up into the west midlands too. I sense some rather impressive fax charts to come

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Me thinks that the Netweather radar is picking up snow that ain't really there. Should be light snow here at the moment, but nothing :nonono:

Posted

Dogs sounds like someone has been busy!

Yes we decided against going up to cleeve today after seeing how much snow there was at the base of it around the racecourse - even walking would have been tricky

After doing a good job this morning ive not seen the gritters yet this evening and theyre a bit late now - everything is freezing up out there now and the salt is going to have a hard time mixing in with the frozen slush now

SK

I will NEVER walk that distance again in the snow..lol..

Im sooooooooo tired I dont care if we get 1m tonight :nonono:

Going to be hell on the roads..

Also people loosing money including myself...Self Employed you see

road's are now freezing!!!

oH well got some nice small clips of Chelt.

:hi:

SK,,,yes keep eyes out for Sunday/Monday

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I brushed and shovelled a path up the drive this morning, which then got another covering of snow today and has now frozen. Error.

Oh well, gonna be nice and crunchy tomorrow!

Will we get bored of the snow? Never! :nonono:

Posted

Me thinks that the Netweather radar is picking up snow that ain't really there. Should be light snow here at the moment, but nothing rolleyes.gif

I am only down the road from you and as I said previously the sky looks full of it, dark heavy clouds orangey tinge. Though I am only looking at rain today radar.

I think I need to get Netweather one, especially if we are looking to take a pasting at the weekend. :nonono:

Posted

Heavy snow coming down here, strong winds and blizzard-like conditions.

0 Degrees,

• Humidity: 92%
  • Pressure: 1003mB, rising

Edited by biggiemauls

Posted

Still snowing lightly in Dorset but unfortunately the snow which was about to hit very soon is fizzling out!! :nonono: - will have to make the most of what is on the ground!

Posted

Just scraped an ice day here, max of -0.1! Can't believe its the first one of this cold spell when its been so cold!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/bristol_filton_latest_weather_graphs.html

I think I've just about done the same.......maximum temperature of 0 at nearby Filton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

I am only down the road from you and as I said previously the sky looks full of it, dark heavy clouds orangey tinge. Though I am only looking at rain today radar.

I think I need to get Netweather one, especially if we are looking to take a pasting at the weekend. :)

The Netweather radar is a sound investment at this time of year, but you will end up glued to the zoom of your postcode for hours on end :D

Posted

I've been out enjoying it for the last 2 hrs, some fantastic 1m drifts, snowman, snowball fights with the kids, sledging totally fantastic.

Couldn't wish for any more even though dorset missed out on the really big totals.

Temp -1.5 despite some moderate snowfall still.

NAE is showing another streamer hit at the 48hr range for the SW and then we have sat night/sun, then who knows or cares tbh. !

Do you have any charts of that streamer from NAE. How would this evolve?

Ta.

Posted

I'll pop this question in here, as it's a much more friendly place than the model output discussion!

I heard, somewhere (can't remember where) that the 2nd half of this month is likely to be even wintry-er than the first half.

Has anyone heard similar?

Posted

I'll pop this question in here, as it's a much more friendly place than the model output discussion!

I heard, somewhere (can't remember where) that the 2nd half of this month is likely to be even wintry-er than the first half.

I believe GP mentioned that the snow potential from Mid Month was looking even better than the early stages?

Think it was in the "In Depth" section.

A month plus of cold weather... the stuff of dreams?

Posted

Hi Noggin,

The chance is very much there. Many winter forecast predicted the most wintry spell of weather being in the second half of january, including some of the finer forecasters here on Net Weather

The global teleconnection signals are inconclusive for me at the moment - the NAO and AO certainly getting back towards something of the negative values we expect (as opposed to the deeply negative we have been experiencing), and with a continuation of the PNA in a positive phase meaning theoretically that the jet stream should be rather southerly tracking out of the USA, the chance is very much there

I'd say at the moment a little unclear, altho the signal in the shorter medium term is certainly for the chance of further snowfalls with the decrease in negative teleconnection oscillations across the atlantic likely to bring the jet stream a little further north

Kind Regards

SK

Posted

Still snowing lightly in Dorset but unfortunately the snow which was about to hit very soon is fizzling out!! sad.gif - will have to make the most of what is on the ground!

One day us Dorset folk will learn!, after the huge disappointment of last night and over the last few years we should know by now that everything that has potential will diminish when it hits the Bournemouth,Poole and Purbeck brick wall!!!!,For now though we need to pick ourselves up and start all over again for the weekend lol

Posted

Been out with the bro in the snow, and we now have about an inch to two iches of the stuff and its drifted to about 3 inches in some spots but its very lovely proper powdery type snow so thin it could be here a few days.

Been very cold almost an ice day, max of 0.8c currently 0.4c but the wind has whipped right up if it drops i think we'll get a very cold night indeed.

Posted

I believe there was predictions (forecasts) for the stratosphere warming as well, which might tie in with the outcome most of us want.

Posted

One day us Dorset folk will learn!, after the huge disappointment of last night and over the last few years we should know by now that everything that has potential will diminish when it hits the Bournemouth,Poole and Purbeck brick wall!!!!,For now though we need to pick ourselves up and start all over again for the weekend lol

Yea!, we pretty much have our own little climate in this little part of the UK/World!! - I dont think i will be listening to or trusting any forecasts though for the weekend after yesterday and last nights performance!!. I will just wait until the day and watch the radar is the best thing i think!! :unsure:

Posted

Snowing in Christchurch again!!!!!!!

Been snowing for last 20-30 mins in wimborne but only very small flakes and blowing horizontaly !! there isn't even anything on the radar over us though <_< :drinks::cc_confused:

Got a new dusting on the cars etc!

Edited by Snowman15

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, wind. Hot summer days.

Hi everyone.

Have been following this thread for a while now (since about Part 3 (I think!)).

It was great to wake up to about 10-12cms of snow this morning, as Trowbridge has been in the "No-snow Zone" all winter so far!

Long may this cold, snowy spell continue!!!

It was snowing here about 20 minutes ago, but has stopped again now.

Thought we were in for a bit more around now (looking at the NW Radar), but it looks like it's slipping just South of here... Typical!

Attached (hopefully!) are a few pictures of Trowbridge in the snow.

Nice pictures Schmac, the only time our town looks pretty is when its covered in snow! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Had a lovely day here, out and about playing and taking pics; here's a couple, winter wonderland around here and for posterity, one of Guerney Slade (one with quad bike) for Mullender.

Will put some more in the winter gallery if anyone's interested, Cheddar Gorge looked positively Alpine.

post-6280-12627986316852_thumb.jpg

post-6280-12627986791952_thumb.jpg

Posted

Had a lovely day here, out and about playing and taking pics; here's a couple, winter wonderland around here and for posterity, one of Guerney Slade (one with quad bike) for Mullender.

Will put some more in the winter gallery if anyone's interested, Cheddar Gorge looked positively Alpine.

He'll be gutted!

:(